Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Must Pass Immigration bill - Ha Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiskind View Post
Well it's nice of you to ask Arun. First, I'd remind IV that no Senator has an absolute veto power on a bill. A Senator's hold only prevents the body from bypassing the committee process and moving legislation through the normal course as opposed to moving for unanimous consent and passing something quickly. When you're talking about a bill that passed by a ten to one margin in the House, it's hardly seen as controversial. Just go through normal mark up and make sure you work on the leaders in the Immigration Subcommittee (and Grassley is not the ranking member or the chair).

There is also a must pass immigration bill coming that includes extending several very popular programs. Getting 3012 attached probably would not have been seen as controversial. But the move to force Grassley's language in and it's attack on other advocacy groups is really going to make it hard to see anyone wanting to work with IV on this. And since 3012 is going to have to go back to the House and get past many who will find the Grassley language repulsive, I wouldn't be so confident in easy passage again.
"Must Pass Immigration bill" is the funniest oxymoron that I heard in a long time. How confident are you that toxic ammendments / poison pils will not scuttle this "must pass" bill? Also, what is this bill about and who is introducing it. Please do not have us tagging our hope to the routine immigration budget approval process if that is what you are calling your "Must pass" bill.

Also, I think Grassley ammendment is very benign. You are being paranoid about nothing.
Bookmark and Share Compare

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well it's nice of you to ask Arun. First, I'd remind IV that no Senator has an absolute veto power on a bill. A Senator's hold only prevents the body from bypassing the committee process and moving legislation through the normal course as opposed to moving for unanimous consent and passing something quickly. When you're talking about a bill that passed by a ten to one margin in the House, it's hardly seen as controversial. Just go through normal mark up and make sure you work on the leaders in the Immigration Subcommittee (and Grassley is not the ranking member or the chair).

There is also a must pass immigration bill coming that includes extending several very popular programs. Getting 3012 attached probably would not have been seen as controversial. But the move to force Grassley's language in and it's attack on other advocacy groups is really going to make it hard to see anyone wanting to work with IV on this. And since 3012 is going to have to go back to the House and get past many who will find the Grassley language repulsive, I wouldn't be so confident in easy passage again.
Oh my! I hope you are not this naive as your response suggests! If it were just that then the Senate should have passed it within a week after clearing the House. The realities and the politics of the issue are complex. The members of these forum know this. That is why they have been at this bill for so long and still pursuing it against all odds. Please keep your simplistic ideas to yourself. I had respect for you but now I think you are just distracting.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Siskind Susser, P.C.
1028 Oakhaven Road
Memphis, Tennessee-38119
http://www.visalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, Cornyn is the Ranking Member. Grassley is just a lowly committee member.
Bookmark and Share    
Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute spven has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grassley

Grassley is the ranking member of Judiciary committee. Immigration, Refugees and Border Security is a sub-committee under Judiciary. Grassley support is needed to get out of the committee.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_2000 View Post
DB: Where did you get this info from?

Look here: Mr. G's handsome smiling face ---- he is a ranking member allright:
The Ranking Member

here :

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/subcommittees/immigration.cfm

Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Siskind Susser, P.C.
1028 Oakhaven Road
Memphis, Tennessee-38119
gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold gsiskind is a splendid one to behold

Is he the chairman?
Bookmark and Share    
Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future

how does any bill gets marked up in the senate committee ?

Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Siskind Susser, P.C.
1028 Oakhaven Road
Memphis, Tennessee-38119

Simplistic is believing you can move a pro-immigration bill by alienating the rest of the pro-immigration community. I've been at the legislative advocacy game for 20 years and have written a number of provisions in the Immigration and Nationality Act. This is not the way to get this done no matter how loud you guys want to shout.
Bookmark and Share    
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute makeallcurrent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greg please ...

Greg - we heard you. Thanks for your inputs ..... Still why this kolaveri ????

Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Siskind Susser, P.C.
1028 Oakhaven Road
Memphis, Tennessee-38119

Actually, quite confident. The extenders bill always gets unanimous consent. The only issue is usually whether any substantive changes (like a 3012) or changes to the particular program will be approved.
Bookmark and Share    
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute digital2k has a reputation beyond repute
Default Action Items is the FOCUS NOW

Please, everyone focus on the action items.

IV Team and Leaders have worked hard to reach this stage and in the best interest of community.

Many IV leader having green cards, citizenship working day night for the community and had everything on stake, have learnt Art of Politics. I met, heard Aman and others who have so much passion.

HR 3012 is FAIRNESS to remove per country quota
Its been long due, The Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act

All those settled here since decades should have stood for this long ago !

Please look at the big picture.

With due respect to everyone, sorry this is not the stage for distraction but action.

NOW is the time to support and action.

Greg, you should be part of these historic moments and You will feel proud of your support for the cause.
Proud contributor, active in all Action Items

Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spven View Post
Grassley is the ranking member of Judiciary committee. Immigration, Refugees and Border Security is a sub-committee under Judiciary. Grassley support is needed to get out of the committee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBlue View Post
what spven said ....

anyone wants to differ?

Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Simplistic is believing you can move a pro-immigration bill by alienating the rest of the pro-immigration community. I've been at the legislative advocacy game for 20 years and have written a number of provisions in the Immigration and Nationality Act. This is not the way to get this done no matter how loud you guys want to shout.
Another way of looking at it is, we are uniting all the pro-immigration community, and we have the overwhelming majority on EB category. This can only mean good for all in the longer term

Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Siskind Susser, P.C.
1028 Oakhaven Road
Memphis, Tennessee-38119

You don't hear that much from me except my uniformly supportive blogging over the years. I would hope that my strong words are registering with at least some. Grassley's amendment could probably be changed further to make it more acceptable, but the email sent from IV is making a lot of advocates just want to wash their hands of 3012. Unfortunate.
Bookmark and Share    
Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

For support I could always go to my shrink .... just saying..

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Closed Thread