Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold
Default Jobs in Recession

Friends / Gurus / Fellow IVans,

Using AC21 and felling the job recession.

Any inputs?

Please do not start posing all the negative comments about closing this thread, if you have any points please post else you are free to leave the thread. Thanks for understanding.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kishdam is a jewel in the rough kishdam is a jewel in the rough kishdam is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana04 View Post

Any inputs?

Please do not start posing all the negative comments about closing this thread, if you have any points please post else you are free to leave the thread. Thanks for understanding.
Yes its very understandable to feel jittery (feeling the same myself) - made up my mind to move and found a job but suddenly this recession talk became too louder. Its too difficult to predict but it would depend a lot on the industry/company each is working.

I took the recession talk in a different way - I am not happy at my current job (because of nature of work and future prospects and general issues like commute etc) and so now may be the best time to change - since technology job market is still fine but may not be so in coming months/years. So if I dont change job now - I might be stuck at the current company for atleast couple years. Based on that thinking I decided to move. Of course there is a risk - my new company might hit hard times and if layoff comes as a new employee I would be on the chopping block there. In that aspect staying at my current company maybe better (been here for long time and "owns" a critical piece of product so job safety is very high but with same benfits and same old job). I am taking that risk as relatively visa situation is bit better now (I485/AC21/EAD/AP).

Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of
Default What's the question?

Sorry, I don't fully understand what "Using AC21 and felling the job recession" means. If you can clarify it, it'll be helpful.

Thanks.

Maverick_2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana04 View Post

Any inputs?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold
Default Used AC21 but feeling the recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_2008 View Post
Sorry, I don't fully understand what "Using AC21 and felling the job recession" means. If you can clarify it, it'll be helpful.

Thanks.

Maverick_2008
So many of us are ready to use AC21, but the job market is in recession.

My Question:
If you used AC21 and doing consulting, what is your exp in finding a job?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pasyam is on a distinguished road
Smile List of recruiters

I would appreciate if someone sends me a list of recruiters in the IT Programming area? I am in the South and Central Texas region

Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasyam View Post
I would appreciate if someone sends me a list of recruiters in the IT Programming area? I am in the South and Central Texas region
What's an IT programming area?

"The only person who can truly persuade you is yourself. You must turn the issues over in your mind at leisure, consider the many arguments, let them simmer, and after a long time turn your preferences into convictions." - Milton Friedman

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You find them in dice.com - there is a section where employers are listed in alphabetical order.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Sorry for the confusion

I meant in IT sector for programming jobs (Visual C++, Java etc). Sorry for the shortcut and creating confusion.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Consulting firms

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
You find them in dice.com - there is a section where employers are listed in alphabetical order.
Thanks. Basically I am looking for consulting firms (does not matter if they are Desi or non-Desi) that will sponsor H1B. Currently I am in H4.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Becks will become famous soon enough Becks will become famous soon enough
Default websites

Check these popular jobs sites:
Dice.com
Hotjobs.com
Monster.com
CareerBuilder.com

Quote:
485 Filed: 07/02/2007 (NSC) -- Approved on 07/12/2011
AC21: 05/2008
RFE : 03/2009 (EVL)
I485 Approved: 07/12/2011

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks. Basically I am looking for consulting firms (does not matter if they are Desi or non-Desi) that will sponsor H1B. Currently I am in H4.
If you are trying to get into the h1b stream - you will be subject to cap, if you have a US Master's your chances are better otherwise if you want your petition to be considered for the lucky draw after the blackout, your petition has to reach early morning on April 1st.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Trying to win the H1B Lotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
If you are trying to get into the h1b stream - you will be subject to cap, if you have a US Master's your chances are better otherwise if you want your petition to be considered for the lucky draw after the blackout, your petition has to reach early morning on April 1st.

Good luck
Yes, I am trying to enlist my name in the April 1st Jackpot lotto. I do not have a US masters.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Patience_GC View Post
people on this forum have been ranting and crying for years "give me EAD give me AC21 give me job mobility".

But look what happened..........everyone has an EAD but hardly one or two changed their jobs. typical indian behavior, expected outcome.
Dear Friend "Infinite_Patience_GC",

It is my question and it was simple, how is the job market in recession (as many of us were planning to use AC21)

If you have any positive inputs, please provide else you were adviced to leave.

And you do not have any rights or authority to bash every one on this IV website and especially Indians.

You have not right to comment people from India or Indian mentality.

This is a community website and this is a thread for all other Green card issues. People share their view, ideas and positive thoughs. If you have any input that would help others is appreciated but you have no right to comment any one community or country, especially India. Please beware.

Good luck to you. And try not to comment any one.

Have a positive attitude.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 mnths

Quote:
what inputs?
"using AC21 and FELLING the job recession".........are you saying that because of the recession you are changing jobs using AC21?
or are you saying you FEEL there may be a recession and you should change jobs with AC21?

any what will you do with the inputs? If i tell you rosy things about AC21 will you use it? on the other hand, if i scare you enough, will you not use it?

people on this forum have been ranting and crying for years "give me EAD give me AC21 give me job mobility".

But look what happened..........everyone has an EAD but hardly one or two changed their jobs. typical indian behavior, expected outcome. people dont have the ba**s to use a perfectly legal avenue, so what can you expect?

i will say again, if you are the type of person who gets scared easily and has no confidence in yourself, please dont use AC21 or anything like that.....

can't change till 6 mnths of AOS filing have passed
many [people interpret this to mean 6 mnths from notice date- to be safe.
so many job changes could not have been seen prior to this.

as for being scared, my friend be kind enough to complete your profile on the forum. what's the great courage in being anonymous?

it does turnout though that EAD/AP is not quite the panacea everyone thought it was. we need to get GC's in a timely manner. in the meanwhile we need to create flexibility in the current system. please help with the administrative changes program. we need as many letters as possible sent..

thanks to everyone that's send letters in the thousands, and especially to those that have collected large numbers..!!

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
raj2007 will become famous soon enough raj2007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
ok.......i don't think you got what i meant, so i will repeat:

1.) how will any inputs help you answer this very general and seemingly pointless query? economists, several hundred of them, cannot collectively answer your question as to how the recession job market is going to be. you really expect people here to tell you something you can't get by reading and exploring??? what do you mean by POSITIVE inputs? have you used AC21 and just want people to tell you that it was a wise decision? i don't know......maybe you should frame your question in more detail.....

2.) what exactly do you mean by "bashing" ??? when you write something, or someone writes something that you find agreeable, then that's ok, but when i put down what i see to be reality, and you find that disconcerting, that's somehow BASHING?? hell yes i mean what i wrote.........people were begging for an EAD and i have seen not more than 5 people in total use it..........the rest just crept back into their comfort zones and start giving advice like "use H1B transfer, EAD is unsafe". so why the HELL were they dying for an EAD just 7 months ago? to be "safe" ???? well.............you can be the judge of how safe they feel now in terms of job security.

3.) i would advise you not to prevent people from posting replies to your questions..........i posted what i perceive to be the best answer to help you.........the fact that you did not like it is not my fault.......and don't "beware" me, you are not the moderator either.

4.) I read the moderator's comments and i understand them.

5.) Good luck to you too, since if you are using AC21, you will need it more than i would. Hope the process goes without a glitch for you and all concerned.

6.) If you really need a short answer to your somewhat vague question, it may be this: yes, IT jobs are always in danger, because of a few things:

-- there are so many of them that some slimming down does not affect companies much
-- they rarely have skill sets that people cannot learn quickly. in other words, if you work in IT, you are easily replaceable by the next kid graduating out of college
-- most of the work that IT does in this country is for commerce/banking, which will be hard hit areas in a recession
-- most desi employers (again, this is word of mouth and not personal experience) do not care about their employees, so you can't expect any support out of them
-- last but not the least (and this might sound like a cliche) there is always the omnipresent outsourcing avenue, which will eat your lunch. remember, if you THINK your job can be outsourced, it almost certainly WILL be.

7.) Lastly, look out for yourself and invest in your skills and try to find a job that matches those skills, do not go by what people say. in the end, if you are unemployed, then the unemployment rate is 100%.......think about it............popular opinion will not matter then.......

Very correct.. It market depends on your skill set and geographical area. There maynot be big salary jump on EAd, if lot of people are looking for jobs and there maybe salary cut too..
Just check ur skill and how hot is that.