Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
BimmerFAn will become famous soon enough
Default DREAM Act can help both legal and illegal aliens

I have recently read through the entire section of the DREAM Act as it it included in the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill proposed by Menendez. I work in Finance but deal with legal jargon quiet a bit and in my opinion the Bill included all-inclusive (catch-all) language and did not specify that to benefit from the act one had to have entered the US illegally. I have confirmed this with a law buddy of mine who read through the bill per my request. It would see that if you were brought into the US before you were 16, have lived here for at least 5 years, were of good moral character, and either attended/enrolled in College or the Military you would be eligible for a green card regardless if you entered the country legally or illegally.

In my opinion the DREAM Act should be a catch-all. It is unfair to grant amnesty to illegal children and deny children of legal immigrants who have been suck on student visas waiting for something to change. Please feel free to correct me if you read through the Act.

I hope the bill passes, either through CIR or as a stand-alone bill.

If you have any questions let me know..

Last edited by BimmerFAn; 10-07-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFAn View Post
I have confirmed this with a law buddy of mine who read through the bill pe rmy request. It would see that if you were brought into the US before you were 16, have lived here for at least 5 years, were of good moral character, and either attended/enrolled in College or the Military you would be eligible for a green card regardless if you entered the country legally or illegally.

Well it sounds good to know it covers legals too, but most students that come in from a country like say India to do bachelors or Masters, aren't bought in by their parents.
They generally write GRE, TOEFL get a loan and come here to study.
Their age is generally about 18 or more, when they enter. Doesn't it discriminate against these?

What about EB3 and EB2 holders who have been here for 5-10 years or more? The DREAM act is also giving preference to a someone in the 2nd year of college (likely bachelors) over pending 485 applicants who have 5-10 years experience in the US on average.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have recently read through the entire section of the DREAM Act as it it included in the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill proposed by Menendez. I work in Finance but deal with legal jargon quiet a bit and in my opinion the Bill included all-inclusive (catch-all) language and did not specify that to benefit from the act one had to have entered the US illegally. I have confirmed this with a law buddy of mine who read through the bill pe rmy request. It would see that if you were brought into the US before you were 16, have lived here for at least 5 years, were of good moral character, and either attended/enrolled in College or the Military you would be eligible for a green card regardless if you entered the country legally or illegally.

In my opinion the DREAM Act should be a catch-all. It is unfair to grant amnesty to illegal children and deny children of legal immigrants who have been suck on student visas waiting for something to change. Please feel free to correct me if you read through the Act.

Good to know that Dream act is for children of all immigrants. If it passes, at least some of us will be benefited.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have recently read through the entire section of the DREAM Act as it it included in the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill proposed by Menendez. I work in Finance but deal with legal jargon quiet a bit and in my opinion the Bill included all-inclusive (catch-all) language and did not specify that to benefit from the act one had to have entered the US illegally. I have confirmed this with a law buddy of mine who read through the bill pe rmy request. It would see that if you were brought into the US before you were 16, have lived here for at least 5 years, were of good moral character, and either attended/enrolled in College or the Military you would be eligible for a green card regardless if you entered the country legally or illegally.

Good to know that Dream act is for children of all immigrants. If it passes, at least some of us will be benefited.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I understand your frustrations but as someone who could potentially benefit from the DREAM Act I am very hopeful that Congress might be able to push it through after elections. I have bachelors in Finance and Accounting (150 Credits), CPA License, and 2/3 done with CFA.. Because I decided to double major instead of getting an MBA immediately following college I now find myself in the EB-3 category... the absolute worst category to be in. I hold a job that requires a Masters or a Masters Equivalent Credit hours.. which I have. Unfortunately USCIS has not caught on to that fact yet and I am stuck.. The reason I am stuck is because India is allowed to spill all over the ROW EB-3.. if I were in Eb-2 I would have my GC by now.. Is that fair to me? Absolutely not.. but good for whoever benefited from that decision.

Regardless, I was brought here at 9 and stayed here legally up through graduating college and starting my own H1-B process. I am completely Americanized. I can't really go back to my old country anymore, everything I know and am accustomed to culturally is here.. the government should have a process of recognizing that and rewarding someone who has done well for themselves here with permanent status.. and hopefully if this bill passes they will make the process fairly straightforward and easy as opposed to the nightmare most of these beurocratic processes turn out to be.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand your frustrations but as someone who could potentially benefit from the DREAM Act I am very hopeful that Congress might be able to push it through after elections.
Of course we support you. But isn't there a 6 year probationary period before the GC?
It seems better for EB3, but maybe not for EB2.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

No.. the probationary period is granted for you to either complete 2 years of college or serve 2 years in the armed forces. Since I already completed my college degree there would be no probationary period. The implementation measures for this bill would have to be worked out 180 days after passage according to the text in the bill itself.

You are right that the current immigration laws are unfair to international students. But, EB-2 is completely clear for ROW.. the only backlog is India and China.. and frankly thats just government regulation interfering with market conditions. The fact is, there are simply too many applicants from those two countries and the government has to step in to bring it back to normal distribution. There are a number of factors why India is so backlogged.. good and bad..

Let's hope for something to happen, because whatever it is, it will certainly be better than what we have now.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
Of course we support you. But isn't there a 6 year probationary period before the GC?
It seems better for EB3, but maybe not for EB2.
Most of the children of legal immigrants that are in college, have already crossed 5 year probationary period and it will be good opportunity for them to get their GC through Dream Act.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev View Post
Most of the children of legal immigrants that are in college, have already crossed 5 year probationary period and it will be good opportunity for them to get their GC through Dream Act.
Yes true, it would be good for children of legals. They can sponsor parents when they turn 21 and are a citizens.
Also note DREAM applies to illegals and legals up to the age of 35, not just kids.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Has anyone else read the specific language of the bill?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of

I came with my parents when I was 15.... Have legally stayed in country for twenty yrs. I too wonder how this would play into things for me. Of course I've taken vacations in between outside of U.S.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute abhishek101 has a reputation beyond repute

I came here when I was 20 I have always been in legal status and always followed all the law.

Why should I get relegated to second standard and people breaking the law get preference ahead of me.

I am compeltely American have a CFA and also doing MBA from No 1 college in US. So why people breaking the law go ahead of me?????????

I really feel so cheated with legistlation like DREAM act it is just inhuman

Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek101 View Post
I am compeltely American have a CFA and also doing MBA from No 1 college in US. So why people breaking the law go ahead of me?????????

I really feel so cheated with legistlation like DREAM act it is just inhuman
Yes I understand the pain. The DREAM will help very few legals like BimmerFan.

Consider what is does for illegals though:
7-9 million illegals are below the age of 35 and this will give them a path to GC, Citizenship.

THIS BILL WAS PRIMARILY CREATED FOR ILLEGALS.

The kids of illegals in millions have already become citizens, no issues for them

Last edited by tonyHK12; 10-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
Yes I understand the pain. The DREAM will help very few legals like BimmerFan.

Consider what is does for illegals though:
7-9 million illegals are below the age of 35 and this will give them a path to GC, Citizenship.

THIS BILL WAS PRIMARILY CREATED FOR ILLEGALS.

The kids of illegals in millions have already become citizens, no issues for them
THANK YOU! That was the whole point of my discussion. The bill IS and always WAS intended to help ILLEGAL aliens. If you read the early versions of the bill, it specified its beneficiaries as "undocumented" children who entered the US younger than 16.. however, the catch-all language of the new bill is intended to bring the current law to par with the reality that alot of people, professionals included, bring young children to the US, then those children age-out at 21 so they can't hop on their parent's green card application and are left in limbo.. they can't go back home because they probably know little of their "home" country, its language and its customs...

I understand your frustration being 20 and entering the US but you have to remember that you did that by your own will.. if you are getting an MBA from a No1 school, you are probably either at Wharton and Harvard Business, so getting a job for you should be no problem and you are looking at a smooth EB-2 GC application once you have an offer in hand... your situation is not that bad. (unless you are from India).

To call this bill "inhuman" is an inhuman act in it of itself... Growing up, I always felt ostracized and somewhat inferior because I did not have what so many people took for granted.. I can't imagine what those kids felt who were brought here illegally by their parents at 5 years old and then realized that all the promises of this country were not open to them as they were for citizens, permanent residents, or even legal immigrants like me.

If you are reading this reply, please take a look at the actual Bill and share your thoughts on the legal language of the bill. The DREAM Act bridges an important gap for students who gew up stating the pledge of allegiance to a flag that they now find out was not theirs, and the principles that they believed in, do not apply to them.

I hope this bill sees the light of day, and not just because I might be an unintended beneficiary. I have plenty of other options: work, family, marriage, etc... With my work experience I could go anywhere in the world. But more so for kids who were brought here against their will just to be told that they are nothing.. and this bill tells them that they are something!

Last edited by BimmerFAn; 10-07-2010 at 07:27 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future

Quote:
THANK YOU! That was the whole point of my discussion. The bill IS and always WAS intended to help ILLEGAL aliens. If you read the early versions of the bill, it specified its beneficiaries as "undocumented" children who entered the US younger than 16.. however, the catch-all language of the new bill is intended to bring the current law to par with the reality that alot of people, professionals included, bring young children to the US, then those children age-out at 21 so they can't hop on their parent's green card application and are left in limbo.. they can't go back home because they probably know little of their "home" country, its language and its customs...
Can you please shed light on what the "catch-all language" is? Thanks.