Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
indi_gc_need will become famous soon enough indi_gc_need will become famous soon enough
Default Working for the same employer after GC

I got my GC 2 months back and thinking of quitting the employer, who sponsored my GC. I really appreciate some one throw some light on this ..

1) Is there any minimum required timeframe that, any one need to work for the employer sponsored the GC ?

2) Some says, working for the same employer for 6 months after GC is a safe bet, I googled arround this, but no evident information is available. How far it is true ? From where this 6 months number came ?

3) I contacted few attnorneys and got some mixed opinion, Some says 6 months is a safe option and some say I can switch at any time

4) Is the employer can pull the GC application with in 3 months, if is not happy ? (i.e., After quitting, diffinitely he will NOT be happy)

Thanks in advance,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by indi_gc_need View Post
I got my GC 2 months back and thinking of quitting the employer, who sponsored my GC. I really appreciate some one throw some light on this ..

1) Is there any minimum required timeframe that, any one need to work for the employer sponsored the GC ?

2) Some says, working for the same employer for 6 months after GC is a safe bet, I googled arround this, but no evident information is available. How far it is true ? From where this 6 months number came ?

3) I contacted few attorneys and got some mixed opinion, Some says 6 months is a safe option and some say I can switch at any time

4) Is the employer can pull the GC application with in 3 months, if is not happy ? (i.e., After quitting, diffinitely he will NOT be happy)

Thanks in advance,

1. There is no minimum period but 6 m-1 yr is a safe bet. The GC you received was approved based on the fact that you will be working for your GC sponsoring employer. If you quit right after you get your GC, then you had no intent of working for this employer. This issue might haunt you when you apply for citizenship. If you get fired or if the company is downsizing then its fine . You can always tell them that you wanted to work for them but they let you go.

2. read answer 1

3. Are the attorneys going to pay for your mistake ? NO

4. Your Employer cannot revoke the GC ( I mean I140) USCIS can but it is a long procedure (going to court) if they think fraud is involved. I am not sure about the USCIS thing though.

Its my opinion
I485 RFE 09/08/2008 I20,MC,OPT EAD Replied 09/19/2008

Join the Tri State Chapter

Last edited by tnite; 02-08-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold

I totally agree with you on these answers and respect your knowledge
but this is insane, first one has to be with employer for 5-8 years to get GC and you are not free even after getting GC.
But if you use AC-21 right before getting GC (wish it was predictable and we knew the date of just-before-getting) then it works fine no problems. USCIS is great!
So basically CIS gives us GC so that we can work forever for that blood-sucking employer oh this is Sh*t!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
siravi has a spectacular aura about siravi has a spectacular aura about
Default Have similar query..

... please post/share if you have some information regarding this. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute
Default take a vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1bslave View Post
I totally agree with you on these answers and respect your knowledge
but this is insane, first one has to be with employer for 5-8 years to get GC and you are not free even after getting GC.
But if you use AC-21 right before getting GC (wish it was predictable and we knew the date of just-before-getting) then it works fine no problems. USCIS is great!
So basically CIS gives us GC so that we can work forever for that blood-sucking employer oh this is Sh*t!
Use up all vacation in that 6 months so practically u work for only 4 months and start looking for the ideal job after GC which gonna take time...

on the flip side there is this diversity lottery where ppl without even degrees can come to US and look for jobs with GC...what a big joke...