Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
pt326bc is a glorious beacon of light pt326bc is a glorious beacon of light pt326bc is a glorious beacon of light pt326bc is a glorious beacon of light pt326bc is a glorious beacon of light pt326bc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by siravi View Post
Situation: I have to sublet my apartment for a few months and will have to transfer the lease on the subletters' names, which means they will have their names on the mailbox for few months. After that, the lease will be on my name again. I am worried that in case if my GC comes in the next few months (being an optimist here), it may not get delivered if my name will not be on the mailbox.

Concern: I am hesitant to fill out the AR 11/address change form since I will have to do it again in a few months when I return; they haven't been found to be reliable (several members have posted related experiences, the most recent being:http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16242

Question: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best deal with this situation?

Thank you in advance.
No good option exists in such a case in my opinion.

From my personal experience (as has been suggested by somebody before) talking to the mail carrier is not the best option (how about when the mail carrier goes on vacation and somebody else replaces him/her).

Putting mail on hold is one option (which cannot be done for more than 4 weeks and is notoriously unreliable; both by the online option and by filling the form out at the post office and dropping it off personally). I have been bitten both ways.

Mail forwarding is obviously not going to work because most USCIS (I say most because some people have actually had USCIS mail forwarded) letters carry the notation "Return Service Requested".

If you stick to the letter of the law then if you are not staying physically at an address you should notify USCIS (even if not for a few months) either by calling them or by filling out the form AR11 online AND sending them the paper application.

Or if nothing works (like in my case when mail hold didn't work) then get a PO Box address (like I did) and then have you lawyer call USCIS and have the address formally changed. At least that way (most likely) you will have mail securely coming to the address. USCIS should send you a letter acknowledging the change of address to the NEW address soon, and most likely you will see A LUD on your pending applications with USCIS.

Regards.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
siravi has a spectacular aura about siravi has a spectacular aura about
Default concerns with AR11 form

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt326bc View Post
Or if nothing works (like in my case when mail hold didn't work) then get a PO Box address (like I did) and then have you lawyer call USCIS and have the address formally changed. At least that way (most likely) you will have mail securely coming to the address. USCIS should send you a letter acknowledging the change of address to the NEW address soon, and most likely you will see A LUD on your pending applications with USCIS.

Regards.
Thanks pt326bc,

After hearing a number of negative experiences with the AR 11/address change form and missed communications, I am uncomfortable with doing that. Since the move is temporary, and I am returning to the same address, looks like I will be able to keep the name/mailbox. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gc_in_30_yrs is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by siravi View Post
To whoever gave me "red" for saying "stupid thread":

huh? how is this stupid?!
it is a relevant question for a genuine concern, and in time of emergency, I am counting on IV community for their ideas based on experiences.

Happy Holidays to you as well!
how anybody can give red or green and where do you see them? please dont give me RED for asking this question
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote