Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
siravi has a spectacular aura about siravi has a spectacular aura about
Default US Mail and GC

Situation: I have to sublet my apartment for a few months and will have to transfer the lease on the subletters' names, which means they will have their names on the mailbox for few months. After that, the lease will be on my name again. I am worried that in case if I get any USCIS mail/document, it may not get delivered if my name will not be on the mailbox.

Concern: I am hesitant to fill out the AR 11/address change form since I will have to do it again in a few months when I return; they haven't been found to be reliable (several members have posted related experiences, the most recent being:http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16242

Question: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best deal with this situation?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by siravi; 12-22-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default lookin' for some pointers...

thanks

Old 12-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default does any one match

the names on mail box to the lease agreement. I donot have anything like that in my complex. You can print a sticker with 4 last names on it.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default thanks,

reddymjm,

I am going to check today with the building management/mail carrier.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default hello?

To whoever gave me "red" for saying "stupid thread":

huh? how is this stupid?!
it is a relevant question for a genuine concern, and in time of emergency, I am counting on IV community for their ideas based on experiences.

Happy Holidays to you as well!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default cool down

Quote:
Originally Posted by siravi View Post
To whoever gave me "red" for saying "stupid thread":

huh? how is this stupid?!
it is a relevant question for a genuine concern, and in time of emergency, I am counting on IV community for their ideas based on experiences.

Happy Holidays to you as well!
I gave u a green.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
immigrationvoice1 will become famous soon enough immigrationvoice1 will become famous soon enough
Default Mail on hold..

Quote:
Situation: I have to sublet my apartment for a few months and will have to transfer the lease on the subletters' names, which means they will have their names on the mailbox for few months. After that, the lease will be on my name again. I am worried that in case if my GC comes in the next few months (being an optimist here), it may not get delivered if my name will not be on the mailbox.

Concern: I am hesitant to fill out the AR 11/address change form since I will have to do it again in a few months when I return; they haven't been found to be reliable (several members have posted related experiences, the most recent being:http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16242

Question: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best deal with this situation?

Thank you in advance.
Why don't you go for the option of holding the mails for the period you will remain away by the post office ?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default thank you

imigrationvoice1,
Thank you for your response--I looked into that option, I can't put mail on hold for as long as I will be gone.

Thanks, reddymjm, red/green doesn't bother me, but its the inane reason given for it, without considering its relevance to one of the reasons why we even have this forum--to have a sense of community and ask for & share information based on each others' experiences.
Thank you also for your suggestion though. It looks like I may be able to have my name on the mailbox, but have to make a request. WIll let you know.
Thanks.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold

Another suggestion.

Aside from putting your name in the mailbox, befriend the regular USPS guy handling your area and tell him/her that you are waiting for a very important mail from Federal Gov't that's why you are putting your name inside the mailbox.

This helped a lot when I was waiting for my EAD. I got a guarantee from the USPS guy that any mail with name on it will never be returned to sender.

I am not a lawyer....all my comments are my own beliefs, please respect it. I do respect yours!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default good suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunRN View Post
Another suggestion.
Aside from putting your name in the mailbox, befriend the regular USPS guy handling your area and tell him/her that you are waiting for a very important mail from Federal Gov't that's why you are putting your name inside the mailbox.
This helped a lot when I was waiting for my EAD. I got a guarantee from the USPS guy that any mail with name on it will never be returned to sender.
Thanks, JunRN
I have in fact planned to talk to the mail carrier today. It is helpful to know that it worked in your case! Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gcnirvana is on a distinguished road

Talk to your subletter about your situation and ask him to add your name to the mailbox. I've had my previous renter's name in my mailbox for a while till he started getting all his mails to his new place. HTH.

Quote:
Situation: I have to sublet my apartment for a few months and will have to transfer the lease on the subletters' names, which means they will have their names on the mailbox for few months. After that, the lease will be on my name again. I am worried that in case if my GC comes in the next few months (being an optimist here), it may not get delivered if my name will not be on the mailbox.

Thank you in advance.
Prior Contributions: $500+
Monthly Contribution: $25
Greened on 9/3/10

Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default yes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcnirvana View Post
Talk to your subletter about your situation and ask him to add your name to the mailbox. I've had my previous renter's name in my mailbox for a while till he started getting all his mails to his new place. HTH.
the current sub-letter is okay with it but it is the building "rules" and management that has had me scrambling for alternatives.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-22-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-11-2007
Compare
jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future
Post i agree

don't mail forward to another address. Hold the letters in post office if nothing works

Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrationvoice1 View Post
Why don't you go for the option of holding the mails for the period you will remain away by the post office ?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nashorn will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Don't use AR11. But go online or call USCIS to change the address on your 485.

I was sugested by an officer to chage mine to a friend's or a reletive's, after I asked him what if I couln'd get an RFE because I was outside the US.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
Default thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashorn View Post
Don't use AR11. But go online or call USCIS to change the address on your 485.

I was sugested by an officer to chage mine to a friend's or a reletive's, after I asked him what if I couln'd get an RFE because I was outside the US.
thanks, nashorn,

i do not want to change address since I am returning to the address, that's why was looking for members with similar experiences & what they did. have made arrangements for the name to be on the mailbox. thank you all for your suggestions.