Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold
Default Latest Media Coverage on Flower Campaign

First American newspaper Pioneer Press reports on the Flower Campaign and mentions Immigration Voice as supporters of the campaign. Let's post on this thread as the news coverage starts to come in. Let's see how much coverage we get. Please let's only post links to media reports on this thread to get a consolidated list.

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_6336222

ALL NEWS with PICTURES AND VIDEO : http://www.touchdownusa.org/floral/FloralProtest.html

Last edited by logiclife; 07-11-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold drona is a splendid one to behold

Several immigration lawyers have also reported on the Flower Campaign on their websites. Matthew Oh reported on his site. So did Bender's Immigration Bulletin. Here is the latest from Greg Siskind's Blog. He shows great support by mentioning Immigration Voice and providing a link to the Flower Campaign.

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/

Last edited by drona; 07-10-2007 at 03:47 AM.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Matthew Oh mentions Immigration Voice on his website and links to our site. He reports the response of Emilio Gonzalez to the flower campaign. Matthew writes "Salute to the members of this group for the job well done".

http://www.immigration-law.com/

Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
sen_raju is on a distinguished road
Default Orlando Sentinel Coverage

I just spoke to Victor Manuel Ramos from Orlando Sentinel in detail. He is going to cover it in tomorrow's edition.
You can contact him at 407-420-6186 or by email at VRamos@orlandosentinel.com and give your part of the story.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

News from the front line by english_august

Siva tells me that hundreds of flowers have been delivered already. DHL made a big delivery this morning. Another delivery was made by UPS.

They have Voice of America and CNN-IBN there recording video and taking pictures. Reuters TV might show up soon.

Kudos to everyone who kept the faith.

Last edited by drona; 07-10-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
saimrathi is on a distinguished road

Any updates to this.. This was like hours ago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drona
News from the front line
by english_august

Siva tells me that hundreds of flowers have been delivered already. DHL made a big delivery this morning. Another delivery was made by UPS.

They have Voice of America and CNN-IBN there recording video and taking pictures. Reuters TV might show up soon.

Kudos to everyone who kept the faith.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Easy Saimrathi. I am posting it for people who have just joined us.

Update from english_august
Siva tells me that the flowers are indeed being delivered to the USCIS office. It has created quite a stir.

Of course, we do need to keep the entire campaign in perspective. It is not something that Brian Williams is going to open his evening news with. In fact, he might not cover it at all. After all, when you compare it with the immigration rallies of last year - this is miniscule.

But we did generate quite a bit of media attention with this, we did prove that the skilled, legal immigrant community can take collective action and we did prove that the decisions made by US lawmakers and the beaureaucracies end up hurting real people behind the numbers.

I think all that was worth my 30 dollars.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Siva and Vikas

Who is Munna and who is Circuit???

CHeers - just kidding

Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/getlocal...110&sid=115119

Flowers to Convey Hopes and Concerns of Skilled, Legal Immigrants
Contributed By Karthik Kumaraguru...

Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of
Default Duplicate thread

Isnt this a duplicate thread?? There is another thread with the exact same topic..

Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Pineapple, we are only posting media coverage here. There are other threads that are posting flower orders, delivery confirmation, etc. This just in:

Post by dtekkedil

CNN Covers story in India!

Looks like CNN - India covered the our flower campaign story on TV!

Just got an SMS from India!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
saimrathi is on a distinguished road

So USCIS will never see the flowers becoz they are boxed.. and they will never get delivered becoz they are being routed from the airport itself. No major news media covered the few deliveries at USCIS.. What was the point of the campaign again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixstor
For those of you who is interested in one line Q/A

"Is the flower campaign working? Yes"

"Are we good enough with what we have done? Not 100%"

What happened

We were at the loading dock by 10 30 am ( Delivery estimate was between 11 am and 1 pm) and DHL appeared to
have already delivered around 50 boxes once around 9 am. All the flowers we sent are boxed . The visuals will
be boxes and not flowers in the evening when the youtube video will be uploaded. UPS delivered nex. We got the
video of the whole delivery and so did the CNN-IBN/Voice of America folks. There were around 30 boxes or so from
UPS. Next Fedex delivered and there were around 10-15 boxes coming out. While we were doing the recording one of the
officers politely told us not to capture federal buildings and we told them that we were only capturing the delivery of
flowers. After this what ever truck was coming in, they were reversing and pushing back into the dock so that the
delivery cannot be taped. CNN-IBN reporter asked for permission to go inside the loading dock and she was promptly
denied any permission. Then We had a down pour for almost 20-30 minutes and we had to leave the place.
It appears that the S&H dept now knows that most of the flowers are being delivered by DHL/UPS/FEDEX, they are taking
care of the diversion at National airport it self.

In the future if any one wants to do a flower campaign, Please select 2 local florists
(only two florists, in that particular city) and have people call and place orders/online. That way
we can talk with 2 florists and track their delivery easily for picture/video. Every one who tried to call
FTD/proflowers had alot of trouble getting any thing out of them. Actually, we cant blame them because they
are not doing it locally,instead they are putting their orders via national carriers.

Where do we go from here

If people really want to go out and get the main stream media attention, DC is the perfect choice. How ever,Don't plan on a weekend. If we do it right, we could be live on TV and the whole country will ask whats going on, along with the law makers. That will offer a platform for solving the issue at its roots.If you really want to do this, Dont come up with reasons like I dont have time off for a day or I have a project due. I can understand if 1 or 2% of our active members say it, but when 98% of our active members say that I can understand what it is. May be its time we figure out whether we prefer anonymity and pontifical verbatim on the online forum to expressing our concern/disappointment openly. Do not get offended and start flaming me. Just my thoughts.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice english_august is just really nice
Thumbs up This was the point of the Protest Blooms campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimrathi
So USCIS will never see the flowers becoz they are boxed.. and they will never get delivered becoz they are being routed from the airport itself. No major news media covered the few deliveries at USCIS.. What was the point of the campaign again?
In the past week, the "Protest Blooms" campaign notched up the following wins:
  • Times of India article
  • Buzz in the blogosphere
  • Attention from many attorney websites and blogs
  • Had a Washington Post journalist show interest in our issue and had tens of our members talk to her - which should result in a good article. How many times have we seen so many regular members of IV being able to speak to a reporter of a mainstream US publication on our issues?
  • Had a senior Reuters editor talk to many of us and he promised a sustained coverage of our issues
  • Had a senior reporter from New York Times talk to me
  • Had the footage of this entire event shown on CNN in India
  • Had many small media outlets which never cover these kind of issues, cover it (in smaller towns in MN and NY)
  • Created a sense of action in the community which was feeling pretty dejected after the USCIS fiasco
  • Had USCIS director react to us
  • Had so much interest generated that the IV website was brought down
And all this was accomplished with a severe time crunch.
Was the point of this campaign to have our flowers be decorated on the desk of the director of USCIS? I don't think so. The word again was "symbolic" and that purpose is served whether the flowers are in boxes or in full view of the world.

Would it have made for better visuals if the flowers were in full view? Sure. Is there a way to improve upon every campaign? Sure.

Like Nixstor said, lets learn from what went right and what went wrong to work on other events for the next time, instead of passing judgment and sarcastic comments from a high perch. I donít object to your right to not participate in an event that in your view will not work. I do object to your comments which belittle the efforts of so many on this forum.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Default Response to Saimrathi

Saimrathi, you are posting the same message on all threads. Anyway, I am sure some of the media will pick up the story and write about it. I think there are benefits from this campaign. The name Immigration Voice is out there. We may get more members of our community to join us and participate in future campaigns and we can learn from experience on how to carry out future campaigns, protests etc. We had to speak out in some way on what happened to us with the USCIS Visa Bulletin fiasco. I believe it was worth it for all these reasons.

Last edited by drona; 07-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold
Default Response to Saimrathi

Not all things done are perfect!!. But the point is that something is getting done. In retrospective everything is 20/20. Criticized are those who attempt something and who do not do anything never gets criticized.
IV is doing something which could benefit you. Atleast please do not complain if you do not agree. I will be with you without complaining if you try to do something.

Closed Thread