Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default VA DMV process for EAD

I am starting this thread to collect and share experiences using EAD as proof of legal presence with with VA DMV.
1) I read on the forums that if we take EAD to DMV , they would fax it to Richmond and wait for verification.It could take anywhere from half an hour to 1 week.
I went to DMV in TysonsCorner, was told that I need to bring I797 to be able to get them to fax it. This was on 10/2/2010
2)I went to Franconia DMV with I797 for my EAD application. ( I797 is the receipt notice )
I was told that, I need to bring Original receipt notice of 485 application and If I have that, the manager can issue me the licence then and there.
I said that I cannot get the original 485 receipt and requested them to fax it to Richmond and wait for the response.Then they started saying even for faxing they need 485 original receipt.
I couldn't corroborate that , but any way decided to try Tysons corner DMV again.
This is today, 10/08/2010.

I will update the post after trying one more time at Tysonscorner DMV with I797 of EAD.
If anybody else has experience or knowledge of this process , please post to this thread.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute
Default same here

I went to the Arlington DMV today. They took copies of my I-485 and EAD. They said they will send a letter to my home in 7 to 10 days, if I'm eligible for a drivers license. I went a month back when I didn't have the EAD with me and they did not even accept my documents for faxing it to Richmond. Man...its getting crazier everyday.

Please post back your experience here. Thanks for starting the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
I am starting this thread to collect and share experiences using EAD as proof of legal presence with with VA DMV.
1) I read on the forums that if we take EAD to DMV , they would fax it to Richmond and wait for verification.It could take anywhere from half an hour to 1 week.
I went to DMV in TysonsCorner, was told that I need to bring I797 to be able to get them to fax it. This was on 10/2/2010
2)I went to Franconia DMV with I797 for my EAD application. ( I797 is the receipt notice )
I was told that, I need to bring Original receipt notice of 485 application and If I have that, the manager can issue me the licence then and there.
I said that I cannot get the original 485 receipt and requested them to fax it to Richmond and wait for the response.Then they started saying even for faxing they need 485 original receipt.
I couldn't corroborate that , but any way decided to try Tysons corner DMV again.
This is today, 10/08/2010.

I will update the post after trying one more time at Tysonscorner DMV with I797 of EAD.
If anybody else has experience or knowledge of this process , please post to this thread.

Last edited by jayleno; 10-08-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute

Did you take original 485 receipt with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
I went to the Arlington DMV today. They took copies of my I-485 and EAD. They said they will send a letter to my home in 7 to 10 days, if I'm eligible for a drivers license. I went a month back when I didn't have the EAD with me and they did not even accept my documents for faxing it to Richmond. Man...its getting crazier everyday.

Please post back your experience here. Thanks for starting the thread.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did.
Quote:
Did you take original 485 receipt with you?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare

Could you share how you received the original 485 receipt? I only received a copy of the receipt. Can we request one from USCIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
Yes I did.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare

I recieved my I-485 reciept directly in the mail from USCIS. My attorney got his copy to thier address. I think you need to ask your employer. Since I-485 belongs to the employee, there is no reason for them to hold the original with them.
Quote:
Could you share how you received the original 485 receipt? I only received a copy of the receipt. Can we request one from USCIS?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
justareader will become famous soon enough
Default Va Driver License extension with H1B Receipt Notice

I would appreciate if someone can help me with a link to how to post this question as a new post. I do not want to hijack this thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justareader View Post
I would appreciate if someone can help me with a link to how to post this question as a new post. I do not want to hijack this thread
goto "forums" on the top left (next to "home"). Once in the "forums" page, click on "Non-immigrant visa"->"all drivers license issues posted here" and post your query.

hope that helps.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2006
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
abhatti will become famous soon enough
Default Driver's Liscense renewal in Minnesota

Just to share my experience in Minnesota regarding the subject. My liscense was due for status check. I took my I-485 reciept notice to DMV, they made a copy and faxed it to St-Paul DMV. St-paul office did not said or replied any thing untill I got my new driver's liscense with the same status check date and then I recieved a letter saying I have two more days before I could submit the status evidence before I will loose my driving previliges.
Well I went back to the local DMV office, they gave a number for an employee at St-pual office, to whome I spoke and tried to convince her that this reciept notcie is a legal document and makes my presence legal in th US untill the decision about this case is finalized. she did not buy that untill she mentioned that I need to submit EAD card copy. Which then I did and she extended my driver's liscense to the date till my EAD was valid.
They will print the status check date only to the date untill EAD is valid or H1-B is valid. Oh by the way as an evidence they only except either I-797 for H1-B approval or EAD.
This is a little extra work for us to do to be able to drive while waiting for Green Card, on top of the work we have already done during the whole application process starting from H1-B all the way through I-485 application and even after that to apply for AP, EAD and H1-Bs at ongoing bases.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare

Based on information I gathered,we need to have original 485 filing receipt to be able to use EAD for extending drivers licence. One question I would like to explore is has any one had success requesting a 485 receipt from USCIS?.I researched on the topic and called USCIS also and the answer I found is that USCIS will not reissue 485 receipt notice.I would like to see if any IVians have a different experience.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Next time ensure that you talk to the branch manager

Pardon my french but most of DMV/BMV employees are absolute #$@#$%#@.

They have no clue about the immigration process. Because my wifes EAD and AP expired and we had applied for renewal, this lady at the columbus, OH BMV refused to give us a licence. when she learnt that my wife goes to school, she insisted that we show a I-120 and be in F1 status. not to mention, we left with the 'F' status, if you know what I mean.

Went next week with same papers, the lady gave an extension till next birthday (approx 9 months).

Few years ago, in Richmond, VA same experience. It's a broken process. wrote emails to the white house. no response yet. I have learnt how to navigate thru this broken system and people of less than 5th grader IQ.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's on EAP (OPT), which is valid till next year and will be going to texas DMV tomorrow.

any exp with texas DMV about giving DL to EAD OPT holders?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy DMV in VA fair oaks mall

My wife had gone to DMV in fair oaks mall and they had asked her to produce the original I485 and unfortunately we don't carry it. Our license is going to expire next month.

Anybody know what we can do in this situation. Has anybody got a licence recently from VA state.

thanks
To contribute, please click here: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate

https://twitter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/
http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/ind...282011-2012%29

Got Greened in October 2013.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/25/2005
Compare
DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute

Was you 485 filed initially at VSC and then transfered to TSC? If so you must have received the orignal transfer notice. That should suffice as orignal 485 receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay View Post
My wife had gone to DMV in fair oaks mall and they had asked her to produce the original I485 and unfortunately we don't carry it. Our license is going to expire next month.

Anybody know what we can do in this situation. Has anybody got a licence recently from VA state.

thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

Go to the one in Sterling/Ashburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay View Post

thanks