Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Visiting India while H1B extension is pending

Hello Gurus!
I tried with no success of searching for a thread to find answer to my question.
I will appreciate if anyone there can answer my question(s).
What are the possible implications of travelling to india while H1B extension is pending?
Here is my case:
My visa expired on 30th sep. 2009 and have filed for extension on July 20th. Have not recieved extension till date. Project got over and now wanting to visit friends/relatives in India. Should I wait for extension? Or there is no harm in going for vacations?

Also If I will leave USA , then I will have to get VISA stamped in India once I get the extension approval. Please guide me with your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Office of Elaine Martin
6333 E. Mockingbird Ln Ste 147-910
Dallas, Texas-75214
http://www.martinvisalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
martinvisalaw is on a distinguished road

You will need a new visa to return from India, since your current visa has expired. However, unless there is work for you with the H-1B employer, it would be misrepresentation to get a visa and enter in H-1B status. If you are coming back to the US for a definite project, there should be no problem.

In your case, travel while an extension is pending just means that you will have to wait outside the US until the H-1B is approved and you have a new visa before you can return to the US.
Toll-free phone: 1-866-318-8813
emartin@martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.blogspot.com
Dedicated exclusively to immigration law since 1997

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote  
Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvisalaw View Post
You will need a new visa to return from India, since your current visa has expired. However, unless there is work for you with the H-1B employer, it would be misrepresentation to get a visa and enter in H-1B status. If you are coming back to the US for a definite project, there should be no problem.

In your case, travel while an extension is pending just means that you will have to wait outside the US until the H-1B is approved and you have a new visa before you can return to the US.
Thanks a lot for replying me back.
What should be the point of action in case if I will be in India and I recieve a RFE on my current location and project? Technically I will be on a break at that point of time.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Dallas, Texas-75214

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_1000Watt View Post
What should be the point of action in case if I will be in India and I recieve a RFE on my current location and project? Technically I will be on a break at that point of time.
You won't receive the RFE, the company will. It's impossible to tell how they could answer it, if at all, because it depends on the RFE and the current job situation at the time.
www.martinvisalaw.com

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Attorney- plz suggest

Quote:
You won't receive the RFE, the company will. It's impossible to tell how they could answer it, if at all, because it depends on the RFE and the current job situation at the time.

RFE was replied in the month of november. On Decebmer 7 USCICS website shows "Your extension has been denied, and a denial notice has been sent."
My I-94 expired on Oct-10 2009 and H1B was valid till 30 Sep. 2009.
I am currently in USA and have not travelled outside US after the extension was filed.

Here are my questions:

Am I an illegal resident now?

Until when can I stay in the us?

Should my employer appeal the case and by when should he do that, is there premium processing for this?

How long does the appeal process take ?

Can I work while the case is appealed?

How many days can I stay in us after the case is appealed?

How do I transfer to a new employer E2 (Premium Processing) and when can I apply for the new h1b (after the case is appealed or any time)?

What are the chances of approvals in Premium processing in Current Market?

Can I start working once the receipt for the new h1b petition comes in?

If not, can I work once the h1 is approved or should I go to India and reenter to start working?

Can i transfer my approved I140 to a new employer ?

I will really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GC_1000Watt; 12-09-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: addition of facts

Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Dallas, Texas-75214

Sorry to ready about the extension denial. You are out of status now and need to speak with a lawyer to figure out your options. Your questions are very detailed and your situation is serious enough that you should get formal, paid, legal advice.
www.martinvisalaw.com

Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default thanks

Quote:
Sorry to ready about the extension denial. You are out of status now and need to speak with a lawyer to figure out your options. Your questions are very detailed and your situation is serious enough that you should get formal, paid, legal advice.
Thanks. Isn't there a 180 days rule which allows me to stay in USA till 180 days of I-94 expiry date?

Last edited by GC_1000Watt; 12-10-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Dallas, Texas-75214

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_1000Watt View Post
Thanks. Isn't there a 180 days rule which allows me to stay in USA till 180 days of I-94 expiry date?
No. There is a rule that allows you to stay while an extension is pending, but your ext. is no longer pending.
www.martinvisalaw.com

Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nareannl is on a distinguished road
Default Leaving US with extension pending and valid visa.

Hi,

My Initial H1b is expiring in Oct 2013 and my renewal/amendment filed on July 30 2012, Still in “Initial Review” status (It’s been 5 and 1/2 months nearly).

In this situation I am leaving US on next week and if I left, will my renewal get any issues.

Also if the renewal got approved in the time when I am in India, what steps should I take. Please advise.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of greendream26 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareannl View Post
Hi,

My Initial H1b is expiring in Oct 2013 and my renewal/amendment filed on July 30 2012, Still in “Initial Review” status (It’s been 5 and 1/2 months nearly).

In this situation I am leaving US on next week and if I left, will my renewal get any issues.

Also if the renewal got approved in the time when I am in India, what steps should I take. Please advise.
If u leave country before the decision comes than ur petition of extension is considered cancelled.
Either upgrade the petition to premium processing so that u can get a decision in 2 weeks.
Else select consular processing so then u will have to wait in india for a decision to comw and then u can go for stamping if it gets approved.