Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nomi is infamous around these parts nomi is infamous around these parts nomi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitu72
HI can some body answer if we can apply for canadian PR with H1 B valid for less than 1 year.

For canadian citizenship you have to be in canada for 2 yr(physicaly) and after 3 yr after stamping

Quote:
HI can some body answer if we can apply for canadian PR with H1 B valid for less than 1 year.

You can apply anytime for Canadian PR. It has nothing to do with H1 or any other US Visa or status.

For canadian citizenship you have to be in canada for 2 yr(physicaly) and after 3 yr after stamping
You have to live two years in Canada in order to get your Canadian
Citizenship.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcsucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomi
You have to live two years in Canada in order to get your Canadian
Citizenship.
correction. 3 years

Old 09-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

You can apply for Canadian PR while staying in the USA if you can demonstrate that you have entered the USA legally and stayed in the country legally for at least one year. That's what Canadian law says. I'm too lazy to look for the actual law -- just google it.

You can apply for the Canadian citizenship after staying in Canada for three years out of four. Of these three years, you must be a PR for at least two years.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ing-howto.html

Old 09-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough

In addition to the written above, you must stay in Canada for at least 2 years out of 5 in order to keep your PR status.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pub/imm-law.html , "Permanent residents" section

Old 09-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of

I have done a lot of research on this :::

A good option is if you try and get a job in Detroit, MI. You can then live across the border in Windsor, ON and commute daily between Canada and US.Windsor is basically suburb of Detroit right across from Detroit river ex like Mumbai and Navi Mumbai, Hyderabad and Secundrabad etc.

This way you get best of both worlds

1) You keep H1B visa and US GC going.
2) You earn in US $ and can avail of US job opportunity.
3) You can earn time towards maintaining Canadian PR and Canadian Citizenship.

Disadvantage

1) This option is limited to getting a job/transfer in Detroit Metro area.
2) Some days there may be delay at border if US is on high alert, so you need to be conservative and add time for border inspection to your commute.
3) You have to file taxes in both US and Canada (but its not double taxes).

Old 09-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerd
I have done a lot of research on this :::

A good option is if you try and get a job in Detroit, MI. You can then live across the border in Windsor, ON and commute daily between Canada and US.Windsor is basically suburb of Detroit right across from Detroit river ex like Mumbai and Navi Mumbai, Hyderabad and Secundrabad etc.

This way you get best of both worlds

1) You keep H1B visa and US GC going.
2) You earn in US $ and can avail of US job opportunity.
3) You can earn time towards maintaining Canadian PR and Canadian Citizenship.

Disadvantage

1) This option is limited to getting a job/transfer in Detroit Metro area.
2) Some days there may be delay at border if US is on high alert, so you need to be conservative and add time for border inspection to your commute.
3) You have to file taxes in both US and Canada (but its not double taxes).
---
Thanks for the good info. But there is some talk of implementing passports for travel between Canada and US for security reasons. This parameter should be part of the SWOT analysis also. See below for the excerpt of actual news story:

Canadians shouldn't get too excited by Congress's decision to push back the Jan. 1, 2008, deadline requiring passports for all travellers entering the United States, Washington's top passport official warns.

The new deadline of June 1, 2009, passed yesterday, is only the last possible date to implement the controversial plan, according to Frank Moss, the deputy assistant secretary for passport services in the U.S. State Department. And it could be, in fact, "significantly earlier."

"The sooner it is done the better in terms of travel security," he said. "Don't think 'Oh, 17 months delay. I don't have to do anything about this.' Nothing's changing. It could very well be sooner than that and it will certainly change much sooner than that in terms of air travel to the United States."

Old 09-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of

Well we are Indian citizens so we would have to carry passport anyway. What you mention is only a concern for Canadian nationals and that too they dont need visa. They only need passport for ID instead of DL.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all
Default Couple of question with Canada Migration -

I plan to do it Myself, need some help & suggestion

1. Do we need get our education evaluation done, i am from india with Bsc +Msc(physic) +PGDCA.Will they

consider degree from India as valid with any evaluations.

2.For experience what i plan to do is give notarized copies of experience letter,paystubbs. Probably lot

of paystubs so that it looks complete, appointment letter, W2 forms.

3. Bank statements

4.Mariage certificate + Birth related documents (notarized)

5. IF some of you can share some Formats which you guys have used to write letter to CIC so that you
get waivered of you English test.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
STAmisha can only hope to improve

Quote:
I plan to do it Myself, need some help & suggestion

1. Do we need get our education evaluation done, i am from india with Bsc +Msc(physic) +PGDCA.Will they

consider degree from India as valid with any evaluations.

No educational evaluations are necessary. Provide them ORIGINAL transcripts and notarised copies of your degree certificates

2.For experience what i plan to do is give notarized copies of experience letter,paystubbs. Probably lot

of paystubs so that it looks complete, appointment letter, W2 forms.

This should be sufficient. Provide a copy of resume too

3. Bank statements

Provide bank statements for the last 3 months.

4.Mariage certificate + Birth related documents (notarized)

5. IF some of you can share some Formats which you guys have used to write letter to CIC so that you
get waivered of you English test.
Write them a letter saying that you were educated in English and you are proficient inEnglish. They dont care for IELTS if you apply for US.

Good Luck.It is straightforward and easy

Old 10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAmisha
Write them a letter saying that you were educated in English and you are proficient inEnglish. They dont care for IELTS if you apply for US.

Good Luck.It is straightforward and easy
1. You said Original Transcripts( i think you meant notarized copies of my transcripts)

2. How did you guys get experience letter from current employer, probably by saying we are getting visa for our parent to come here... any other ideas???

3. There are certain requirement for pictures to be taken, is it possible to get from walgreens or walmart.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare

Quote:
1. You said Original Transcripts( i think you meant notarized copies of my transcripts)

2. How did you guys get experience letter from current employer, probably by saying we are getting visa for our parent to come here... any other ideas???

3. There are certain requirement for pictures to be taken, is it possible to get from walgreens or walmart.
THERE IS ALSO A REQUEST FOR IDENTITY CARD AE THEY ASKING FOR SSN NUMBER IN THERE OR SOMETHING ELSE

Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
STAmisha can only hope to improve

1. You need to submit original transcripts and notarised copies of degree certs

2. I requseted my current employer to give it. I quoted that I need them for applying to university

3. I did my pictures from wolf camera. I took the photo instructions to them. They made exactly like that.

I just got my PR approved and I got my passports back with visas.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare

thanks amisha..any idea about the identity card number is it the ssn number we have in US. i can fill in that number and make a copy and get it notarized.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of
Default Process Time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAmisha
1. You need to submit original transcripts and notarised copies of degree certs

2. I requseted my current employer to give it. I quoted that I need them for applying to university

3. I did my pictures from wolf camera. I took the photo instructions to them. They made exactly like that.

I just got my PR approved and I got my passports back with visas.
STAmisha,
How long did it take for you? and where did you file your application?

Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ujjvalkoul will become famous soon enough

STAmisha,

Once u sent ur application, did nt u have to go for an interview and then a Physical. Also, I have heard that to get PR stamped onto ur passport, u actually need to physically enter Canada. Kindly confirm?

Closed Thread