Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of
Default How about rally against H-1B ban?

All the tactics used by groups opposing EB immigration and in particular H-1B visas center around one central theme - foreign (H-1B) workers are cheap labor. While they may have identified specific cases, it is not representative of the entire EB (and H-1B) community. Most of us are paid much more than higher end of prevailing wage, plus 10-20K in immigration costs. Many of us are physicians with NIW and working in medically under served areas.

How about we stand in silent, peaceful protest against the H-1B ban to show that the common perception of H-1B workers is not all correct. I suggest we do this either in front of the Capitol on the day when the House-Senate joint committee is considering the bill or on the day when President Obama signs the bill in front of the White House. Our goal will be simple - we will try to pass on one message - We are not cheap labor. The way we do this -

Each of us will create a poster with our 2008 W-2 blown up that shows the income (100k+), show that we are paying all taxes (Medicare, SS, etc.). We can scratch off employer name, address, etc.
We can wear white strips around our lips to symbolize our protest to be silent, peaceful.
We can have some flyers ready with relevant information.
These are just some preliminary ideas. I am sure others here will have much better ideas to get our point across - We are not cheap labor.

I know skeptics and nay sayers tell me that this is useless, etc. etc. I have two things to day about that - First, if we don't do anything we don't gain anything anyways. Second, I do not expect the Congress to change anything just based on any protest like this. What this will do is that it will plant a seed of a forgotten concept that foreign workers like you and me are not cheap. I feel confident that we can find somebody to report this.

Anybody up for it? Even if 10 of us are ready I think we should do it. Timing this right is important. We have to move swiftly.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
ganguteli

The idea is good but,
People with EAD will not come. They are out of the troble zone anyways and can use EAD to get a new job easily as EAD is like a greencard.
People not working in financial sector will not come as they do not think it affects them
People from financial sector will also not come as they are busy finding a job
Remaining will also not come as we desis are reluctant to spend money. It costs money to travel. So maybe DC area and nearby area people may come. But they will be handful.

Most people will be ok to do online petition or fax campaign as you just need to press a button.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of

You are missing the point. Let me start by saying that I AM ON EAD. I do not work for the financial sector. I am NOT affected by the H-1B ban.

The problem is not H-1B ban in itself, but the growing rhetoric that puts legal EB community right along the side with border jumpers. I see the same sense of resentment towards EB immigrants that people have towards illegal immigrants. This is deeply troubling.

There is not a single lawmaker who is questioning the antics used by the anti-EB advocates. The Senate passed the Grassley amendment with voice vote, without any debate or comments. Nobody even asked for a count. In a sense, silence is acceptance (by everybody) of the allegations made by anti-EB advocates. This shows the direction in which the EB reform is headed (or not headed). If the current trend continues, CIR will come and go without any measures for EB immigration. All of us will be left hanging with our EADs forever.

The H-1B ban is just the tip of the iceberg. When you say its not affecting people with EAD, I feel like you are watching the ocean recede signaling the oncoming tsunami and you are saying that oh, the water is going away, I am sitting on the beach, no problems here.

The Congress will pass the provisions that they think is in the best interest of the country. We can't and won't fight that. If abolishing H-1B or EB entirely is part of that, so be it. But let it not be under false pretenses that people like you and me are cheap and somehow stealing jobs. Lets do our part to ensure that they make an informed decision. Calling us cheap laborers is a slap on our face. The least we can do is stand up for ourselves.

Time is short. We can't expect people to travel from far. We don't need thousands of people. Even 10 people can make such a protest meaningful if we do it effectively and time it right. I welcome any and all suggestions from others - including criticism, which will only make our efforts more effective.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

Another issue is no Banks or Companies issued any statement. Simply they will be accepting the conditions to get the money. Nothing is going to acheived when a few people go for ralley as it will turn out to be get together.When any of the provision comes for Tech companies Compete America and Microsoft would have opposed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarslave View Post
You are missing the point. Let me start by saying that I AM ON EAD. I do not work for the financial sector. I am NOT affected by the H-1B ban.

The problem is not H-1B ban in itself, but the growing rhetoric that puts legal EB community right along the side with border jumpers. I see the same sense of resentment towards EB immigrants that people have towards illegal immigrants. This is deeply troubling.

There is not a single lawmaker who is questioning the antics used by the anti-EB advocates. The Senate passed the Grassley amendment with voice vote, without any debate or comments. Nobody even asked for a count. In a sense, silence is acceptance (by everybody) of the allegations made by anti-EB advocates. This shows the direction in which the EB reform is headed (or not headed). If the current trend continues, CIR will come and go without any measures for EB immigration. All of us will be left hanging with our EADs forever.

The H-1B ban is just the tip of the iceberg. When you say its not affecting people with EAD, I feel like you are watching the ocean recede signaling the oncoming tsunami and you are saying that oh, the water is going away, I am sitting on the beach, no problems here.

The Congress will pass the provisions that they think is in the best interest of the country. We can't and won't fight that. If abolishing H-1B or EB entirely is part of that, so be it. But let it not be under false pretenses that people like you and me are cheap and somehow stealing jobs. Lets do our part to ensure that they make an informed decision. Calling us cheap laborers is a slap on our face. The least we can do is stand up for ourselves.

Time is short. We can't expect people to travel from far. We don't need thousands of people. Even 10 people can make such a protest meaningful if we do it effectively and time it right. I welcome any and all suggestions from others - including criticism, which will only make our efforts more effective.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks for the uplifting message. The problems are many. Lets think about the solutions.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Giri Velamore is on a distinguished road

Hi
I saw the news about the passage of the stimulus proposals in Senate. Already there is a debate about dissociating the clause of 'Buy American' from the Steel sector. President Obama has mentioned that he doesn't want to have protectionist approach in the Stimulus package. So, in my opinion the proposal of Senators Grassley and Sanders about recruiting American workers for TARP funded companies might not be implemented. I agree it is a case of having a positive expectation whereas the members are preparing to face a bad situation.