Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Fingerprinting during 485 stage
Click to log in with Facebook
Fingerprinting during 485 stage All issues related to fingerprinting process, FP notices etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Almost didn't get biometrics done

I travelled 3 hours yesterday to Jacksonville, FL to have my biometrics done at 8 am. I had been up most of the night and left for Jacksonville at 4 am. When I got there at about 7 am, there were people already lined up so I figured I would get in line too. The officer took my paper and told me to come back at 7:45, because they did not open till 8 - yet there were others ahead of me already in the building.
I kept my mouth shut and did what he said. When I went back in line the 2nd time, he took my Canadian driver's license, which is all I have with a photo ID, and said it was an unacceptable ID and he couldn't let me in.
What was that about??????? My letter stated that a driver's license was acceptable, it did NOT say that I needed a passport or state issued license, just that one piece of ID was necessary along with the letter.
My license is current and valid, has a photo so I'm not sure what the problem was. I told him that this is all the ID I have here in the US because I never needed a passport when I arrived 6 years ago. I was let in with my birth certificate and driver's license back then and it was fine, no hassles whatsoever.
Eventually he did get clearance to let me in and I got the fingerprints and photo done, but it really shook me up that I almost didn't get accepted for this after all the hassle to get there on time (navigating Jacksonville is no picnic during morning rush hour).
I am a bit annoyed that the letter I received doesn't state more specifically what is required. If I had known I needed better ID I would have taken steps to get it.

I thought this was something worth sharing for those who have not yet had biometrics done and have limited ID with them. How do you get state issued ID if you are not a permanent resident and have no solid legal status in the country except for your pending applications? Anyone have any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts micofrost is infamous around these parts
Default U need a valid ID

And Valid ID should be current state( part of US) DMV issued ID, inform of Drivers license or Photo ID.
The safest method is to use your country passport. Its written clearly somewhere, I do not remember where.

You are lucky they let you in with other country driver ID.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts luvschocolates is infamous around these parts

I cannot get a license for my state until I have the green card. I've already contacted them about that more than once and there is no other state ID that can be issued without some form of legal status. This is what ticks me off about the whole deal, no one tells you anything, they do not correspond for two years and you're stuck in limbo, you're basically immobile until they do something to allow you to stay in the US legally.
I have lived with my employer for the past 6 years and get only room and board - that is what I was told on my inital application response 6 years ago, that I could not receive a monetary wage until I had the green card.
My employer is disabled and lives on a fixed income, but another member in the household helps out with this, so they could afford to pay me when the time comes. That however doesn't help me until they can legally do so - therefore I had no money to apply for a work permit, no money to pay a lawyer to speed things up or find other resources for me to use during the past 6 years.
I am virtually stuck until I get that green card and a SSN - another thing I cannot get without the green card. I have inquired about that as well and they will not issue anything until they know where I stand with my status.
So what was I to do yesterday under those circumstances? They need to be more specific and give you more detailed information on where to obtain acceptable ID for things like this cause I sure didn't know and not for lack of inquiring.