Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do legals have strong economic reasons to get greencards?

Revitalizing the Golden State

Florida Shouldn’t Make Arizona’s Mistake

Do legal immigrants have any such article? Do legal immigrants impact economy? How can we know that?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future

"Revitalizing the Golden State" looks great for reading but....

- Does legalized illegals really pay taxes?
- what is the possibility that they don't depend on Gov from the day they get their Citizenship?
- Illegals are here from more than 10 years....do the average age is around 40'.... they may work for 10 more years and then depend on Gov.

It is a know truth the advantage of giving GC to Legal EB's then Illegals but as you said we need clear message posted....

Old 04-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future dealguy007 has a brilliant future

yes, we should show "paying $1.5 Billion in income tax for an estimated 15-20 million illegals." means 1500M/20M = $75 per person ????

a Blog would be better in my opinion as groups requires signup and not easily searchable via internet.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
We see a lot of these articles every day praising illegal immigration. How about creating a google group with volunteers that will pick up such similar articels and post a rebuttal, either online or through another website?
The one we discussed yesterday was about how illegals contribute to the economy by paying $1.5 Billion in income tax for an estimated 15-20 million illegals.
This was estimated from the 2010 Census data.
We could initially post these rebuttals online on probably a section of the IV website and also send it to other news sites.
People who are good at parsing excel/MDB, csv sheets will be useful.

Most people are not aware of our issues and contributions to society.
Good idea.
What we need is:
1- A document about the economic impact legal immigrants are making (H1, L1, EAD etc). It should include estimates of Federal, state, SS tax and sales taxes. You can also include estimates how we can impact economy by buying houses. Use the research document used by another organization someone posted yesterday to understand how such documents are written. Get some number crunchers and people with good writing skills in your team. There was a google group created by GC_peshwa yesterday. I think this group could do such proactive work. Set your timelines and work on it. You can post updates of your group on the forum so that others know about it and can join if interested. Once you finish the document, it can be sent as a release and also sent to reporters and lawmakers.

2. This group can also work on your idea from the post by posting on other news sites.

I think these are the kind of action items our community must be doing proactively. What we see on forums and websites are people wasting time on trackers, useless discussions on anti H4, EB2EB3, Andhra, spillover fights, pulling each other down etc. Such shameful posts either shows that these people do not really care about greencard issue or are just plain ignorant. Very rarely do we see someone thinking beyond their own case and PD. This is the main reason in my opinion why everyone is suffering from backlogs. It is not the fault of USCIS or government or any one else. The reason is each one of us that thinks narrowly and has chosen to accept the problem rather than doing something about it. As IV members it is our responsibility to help make people aware and urge them to work together on something meaningful that would help the community.

Thanks for taking this initiative. Good luck. Let us know whenever you need help. Others that are interested should express interest on the thread and join the group.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 04-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We see a lot of these articles every day praising illegal immigration. How about creating a google group with volunteers that will pick up such similar articels and post a rebuttal, either online or through another website?
The one we discussed yesterday was about how illegals contribute to the economy by paying $1.5 Billion in income tax for an estimated 15-20 million illegals.
We could initially post these rebuttals online on probably a section of the IV website and also send it to other news sites.

Were you part of the call yesterday on the Filing I-485 when PD is not current....we do have plans like these...and take part.
# Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously.

Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate
111 Massachusetts Ave., NW Suite 7002,
Mail Stop 2280 Washington,
D.C. 20529-2280
FDNS@dhs.gov
filing without current PD

Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Good idea.
What we need is:
1- A document about the economic impact legal immigrants are making (H1, L1, EAD etc). It should include estimates of Federal, state, SS tax and sales taxes. You can also include estimates how we can impact economy by buying houses. Use the research document used by another organization someone posted yesterday to understand how such documents are written. Get some number crunchers and people with good writing skills in your team. There was a google group created by GC_peshwa yesterday. I think this group could do such proactive work. Set your timelines and work on it. You can post updates of your group on the forum so that others know about it and can join if interested. Once you finish the document, it can be sent as a release and also sent to reporters and lawmakers.

2. This group can also work on your idea from the post by posting on other news sites.
I
Yes the illegal reporters do provide a lot of fodder and in most cases the data can be easily debunked. I'll check their documentation and how they do research along with other volunteers. Will also check gc_peshwa's group. In fact the census generally doesn't give immigration status, do thats worth checking.
I'll post back once I create a appropriately named google group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
Were you part of the call yesterday on the Filing I-485 when PD is not current....we do have plans like these...and take part.
I missed this, will join the future calls

Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indian-work-visas-for-US-citizens-equal-H1Bs-L1s

Indian work visas for US citizens equal H1Bs L1s

Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

While we're all taliking about $11 Billion:

India shortlists European firms, rejects US for $11 bn jet order - The Economic Times

" NEW DELHI: India has rejected US firms for an $11 billion fighter jet contract , shortlisting European firms instead, in a move that could sour its relationship with the United States while broadening its strategic ties with other regions"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc999 View Post
"That took the tally of Americans working in India last year to more than 42,000. ....
India, he noted, should look at comparable fee structures for issuing work visas for US nationals – currently, the fees are very low and put Indian companies at a disadvantage. “The enhanced fees should be used to fund higher education by giving scholarships,” he said. Last August, the US Senate approved a hike in application fees for H-1B and L1 visas. The money raised would fund security improvements along the porous US-Mexico border.
"

How about a desi border security Bill?

Last edited by tonyHK12; 04-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That article is a joke and more like propaganda. It says around 58K H1Bs are issued and most of them are extension - but are they not aware the extensions are not counted towards the cap...?

The moment I read this...I have stopped reading any further.

The job is first moved by the out sourcing firm and then offered for Americans...?
# Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously.

Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate
111 Massachusetts Ave., NW Suite 7002,
Mail Stop 2280 Washington,
D.C. 20529-2280
FDNS@dhs.gov
filing without current PD

Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Donor/Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute

There are several studies but this recent one I found was interesting and I recently posted about this as well.
This is from the 2010 Annual Report of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
Check out page 12/13 -
An interesting 2000 study showed that a selective immigration policy that admitted 1.6 million high-skilled immigrants age 4044 years old annually into a hypothetical U.S.-style economy with a 50 percent debt-to-GDP ratio would have balanced the budget within five years and eventually eliminated the national debt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dallas_Fed_2010_report_ar10b.pdf (1.38 MB, 5 views)

Old 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Donor/Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute

I have created several documents and am working on a similar one as outlined below. But we need 50 people working on such items instead of one.
We have lots of ideas pouring into threads here but most are soon forgotten and not followed up on.

gc_peshwa has created a googlegroup to deal with participating on USCIS calls etc. We can add this agenda to that group to prevent creation of too many googlegroups and spreading ourselves thin. Alternatively we have a "Media" googlegroup as well which is dormant. That group could be used for this purpose.

Quote:

Last edited by ashwin_27; 04-28-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_27 View Post
I have created several documents and am working on a similar one as outlined below. But we need 50 people working on such items instead of one.
We have lots of ideas pouring into threads here but most are soon forgotten and not followed up on.

gc_peshwa has created a googlegroup to deal with participating on USCIS calls etc. We can add this agenda to that group to prevent creation of too many googlegroups and spreading ourselves thin. Alternatively we have a "Media" googlegroup as well which is dormant. That group could be used for this purpose.
Yes I agree, with the number of active volunteers we have in all of IV, a single group should be sufficient. we could use the other group "Media" to store documentation/PDFs mostly.

I have gone thorugh the other doc before about legal immigration.
I refered to the way the illegal reporter obtained estimates. The income tax paid is about $1.24 Billion, ITEP conservatively estimates that 50 percent of unauthorized immigrants ! are paying income taxes
as for the rest, its based on population and assumes they pay sales tax & property tax in the first place:

"# Sales tax is automatic, so it is assumed that unauthorized residents would pay sales tax at similar rates to U.S. citizens and legal immigrants with similar income levels.
# Similar to sales tax, property taxes are hard to avoid, and unauthorized immigrants are assumed to pay the same property taxes as others with the same income level. ITEP assumes that most unauthorized immigrants are renters, and only calculates the taxes paid by renters."

With the elections coming around in 2012 and campaigns sure to start in 6 months, its valuable to create documentation describing legal employment based immigration. Illlegals will be discussed many times, and its our job to also take part in those debates & message boards, whetehr its CNN or a website from LA, etc

Last edited by tonyHK12; 04-28-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joke, not really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
That article is a joke and more like propaganda. It says around 58K H1Bs are issued and most of them are extension - but are they not aware the extensions are not counted towards the cap...?

The moment I read this...I have stopped reading any further.

The job is first moved by the out sourcing firm and then offered for Americans...?
-
-----------------------
This is interesting information. This is the first time ever that such news has come out of Indian press. You may belittle it by calling it a joke but to me it is critical because this issue may turn into a trade issue. Call for negotiating a comprehensive services agreement is not mundane. Together with rejection of billions of dollars worth Us defense deal, this is seriously moving towards becoming a significant issue. You may want to dot the is and cross the ts but that is not how the Law makers, Senators US or Indians think about these issues. They are at 30K feet level looking at the Forest while we waste time in just going around our own trees.

To me the intent is more important than the content in the early stages. We will get to details once there is broad agreement on the issue, that is basic negotiation 101.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aging stats

Another interesting report is on increasing aging population in US. While India, China & other emerging markets have a lot of younger population (productive age).
America, Europe and Japan's aging population Time Bomb
Module 2: Demographics of An Aging Population

What it would mean?
Well the younger workforce is ready to contribute towards bottom line of the economy thru SS, Income taxes etc. and offset the liability side of the budget... Another ammunition point!!!

Quote:
India has a much younger demographic profile today, as well as a higher birth rate, which infers that India will have an advantage over many other countries with regard to demographic burdens from an aging population at least until the latter stages of the 21st century.

Life may not be a party But while we're here we might as well dance

Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
-
-----------------------
Call for negotiating a comprehensive services agreement is not mundane. Together with rejection of billions of dollars worth Us defense deal, this is seriously moving towards becoming a significant issue. You may want to dot the is and cross the ts but that is not how the Law makers, Senators US or Indians think about these issues. They are at 30K feet level looking at the Forest while we waste time in just going around our own trees.
Agreed there are a lot of similar articles generally coming out in Indiatimes too with regard to work visa issues in the US and UK. sometimes there are factual inaccuracies, but the point is very good. Maybe we can even reach out to these reporters to work on presenting media in the US