Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2007
Compare
losangeleskar is on a distinguished road
Default What is my status ? H1B or Parolee ?

I am in the USA since 2000. I filed the I-485 in EB3 Catagory in July 2007 and renewing my H1B, EAD and AP since then on regular basis to play it safe. My last H1B stamp expired in July 2010 and i had to go to UK and Brazil on a business trip in Aug 2010 so i used my Advance Parole to come back to USA. My H1B extension got approved in Sep 2010 and i got the H1B visa stamped (For 3 more years) at US Consulate in India in Nov 2010 and came back to USA in first week of Dec 2010. The Immigration Officer (IO) looked at my records on his PC and asked me to show Advance Parole and i was admitted as a ĎParoleeí even though I had a valid H1B visa in my passport. (I was told by my lawyer that i will be admitted as H1B and thats why i went through the tedious H1B stamping process at US Consulate) I insisted on being admitted as a H1B but he didnít listen. He said you should not be on H1B as you have crossed the 6 year limit (I know this is incorrect) and its good for you to be on a Parole and Parolee status is safer than being on H1B and asked me to stop arguing with him. The IO said we do this every day and know this better than you. I am really confused about my status now. Am I on H1B or not ? If not, should I start working on EAD and donít renew my H1B here onwards ? Will I be able to transfer my H1B to some other company in the future ? Please advise.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of

Your issue is one of the gray area that USCIS have not addressed properly. No worries, how long is your I-94 valid? If it is not for 3 years then you should consult with your attorney and rectify it with help of USCIS. Or plan for a international trip and get it fixed. I94 is the only document that tracks your legal status. They ask for it at all filings. So don't assume yourself that you have been granted 3 year visa so you are ok for 3 years.

You should be fine transferring your H1B to another company, but you should do it before your I-94 expires. That is one way of getting the I-94 renewed for 3 more years.
Greened on 10/01/2010

Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold anilkumar0902 is a splendid one to behold

As far as i have read, one person cannot be on two statuses..You can be either H-1B or on EAD/AP. If you used your AP to enter the country, then you are now a Parolee...You will have to use your EAD instead of H-1B to work and keep working.

Consult with your immigration attorney on this for direction.

Good luck

Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/18/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2007
Compare
Tshelar will become famous soon enough
Default This topic has been discussed numerous times

Your real status is AOS since you filed for 485. AOS also makes your stays in U.S legal.
Now to work in U.S you need an EAD or H1-B. You can continue working on H1-B even though you have entered U.S on AP provide your H1-B is with the same employer who filed your 485.
AP is a travel document and has no barring on the individualís status in the U.S. One can use AP or a valid visa to travel.
There are numerous forums that has discussed this in the past. Please do a search on them.