Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 04-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
bingl is on a distinguished road
Default DL renewal with expiring I94

My Driving license is expiring soon (the day my I94 expires ) ....I have been on H4 till now ....but my husband is on EAD now . When I went to renew my license they asked me to get EAD since my I94 will expire soon . Is that the only way to renew ? Can I file for AP and use that, since I will have to travel to India anyways ?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute weasley has a reputation beyond repute
Default In Ohio,

I showed my 485 Receipt notice as evidence and renewed my licence. You don't have to always produce EAD (then every 2 year you have to renew the licence).

If your 485 is pending for long, You can contact USCIS over phone and create service request. USCIS will send you a letter saying that your case is pending because of so and so reason. You can take that along with you, if the BMV is asking why your 485 is pending for long.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
bingl is on a distinguished road

thanks weaseley ....
We are in Kansas....I did show the 485 receipt ....they said 'its just a receipt' not an approval....and so they can't use that. I'll try calling USCIS for the letter. I hope it works since I don't want to waste money on an EAD which I am not gonna use.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute
Default We are in Solon, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley View Post
I showed my 485 Receipt notice as evidence and renewed my licence. You don't have to always produce EAD (then every 2 year you have to renew the licence).

If your 485 is pending for long, You can contact USCIS over phone and create service request. USCIS will send you a letter saying that your case is pending because of so and so reason. You can take that along with you, if the BMV is asking why your 485 is pending for long.
Which DMV did you go to? My wife and son's H4's are expiring on June 4th and have pending I 485 since July 2007. They are not renewing the DL's based on the pending receipt of I 485 which they claim to be too old and need a new one.. Tried contacting USCIS but could not get through.. Can you pls. let me know which DMV did you go? How old is your pending I 485 and did you have to get a letter from USCIS? If yes, then how did u reach them and if you have any phone number for them..

Pls. advise..

Best...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Egypt
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of

I was in the same situation last month. I live in minnesota had 485 receipt from july 2007, EAD for myself but no EAD for wife, so i wished the 485 will do. DMV said the same crap that since 485 has no expiration date, they only accept 485 that is not older than 6 months old (with the wild assumption that any 485 is approved or denied within 6 months). I got infopass appointment with USCIS, got letter that my case is still pending, and they laughed in DMV saying they know my case is still pending, they have some kind of access to USCIS database. After a lot of arguing and going up to managers in DMV, they agreed to give me and wife 6 months driving license and told me you have to find another immigration document next time (meaning apply for EAD for urself and wife)

Sorry if this does not help you much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshvaid View Post
Which DMV did you go to? My wife and son's H4's are expiring on June 4th and have pending I 485 since July 2007. They are not renewing the DL's based on the pending receipt of I 485 which they claim to be too old and need a new one.. Tried contacting USCIS but could not get through.. Can you pls. let me know which DMV did you go? How old is your pending I 485 and did you have to get a letter from USCIS? If yes, then how did u reach them and if you have any phone number for them..

Pls. advise..

Best...

Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks Bfadlia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfadlia View Post
I was in the same situation last month. I live in minnesota had 485 receipt from july 2007, EAD for myself but no EAD for wife, so i wished the 485 will do. DMV said the same crap that since 485 has no expiration date, they only accept 485 that is not older than 6 months old (with the wild assumption that any 485 is approved or denied within 6 months). I got infopass appointment with USCIS, got letter that my case is still pending, and they laughed in DMV saying they know my case is still pending, they have some kind of access to USCIS database. After a lot of arguing and going up to managers in DMV, they agreed to give me and wife 6 months driving license and told me you have to find another immigration document next time (meaning apply for EAD for urself and wife)

Sorry if this does not help you much.
My son and wife too had EAD's expiring in Aug, 2010.. Had no option but to get the DL for three months and applied for another renewal of EAD's.. What a crap..$ after $.. Did the letter from USCIS you got after infopass help or not??

Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Egypt
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of

Quote:
My son and wife too had EAD's expiring in Aug, 2010.. Had no option but to get the DL for three months and applied for another renewal of EAD's.. What a crap..$ after $.. Did the letter from USCIS you got after infopass help or not??

I don't think the letter was of any help, it said my case is still pending, and as I mentioned above DMV told me they already knew that, they had access to USCIS database.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2011
Compare
mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this is another bigger issue after our green card issue. Can we do something about this?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future

As long as a person is meek and weak, that's what we get - Nothing. With AOS pending, every person in most states are bound to get 1 year renewal..Period. Be forceful but polite in expressing it. Take it to the next level - Supervisor.Ask what they mean or definition of "old I-485". Tell them you are Paying all Taxes (Federal, state, Social, Medicare.... ).

By the time you come hear, mostly probably, the agent might have approved a 1 year Renewal.

Seems FAIR is slowly creeping into DMV also.

Contributed : $225
Help IV to help yourself!!

EB2-India
Labor PD: 11/2005
I-140 AD: 07/2006
I-485 RD: 07/02/2007
I-485 AD: :8/4/2010
Card Received : 8/13/2010

Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Default Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfadlia View Post
I don't think the letter was of any help, it said my case is still pending, and as I mentioned above DMV told me they already knew that, they had access to USCIS database.
Thanks Bfaldia for sharing the info..

RV

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Default Dl..

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1B-GC View Post
As long as a person is meek and weak, that's what we get - Nothing. With AOS pending, every person in most states are bound to get 1 year renewal..Period. Be forceful but polite in expressing it. Take it to the next level - Supervisor.Ask what they mean or definition of "old I-485". Tell them you are Paying all Taxes (Federal, state, Social, Medicare.... ).

By the time you come hear, mostly probably, the agent might have approved a 1 year Renewal.

Seems FAIR is slowly creeping into DMV also.
Do u think, we did't do that.. We did everything possibly we could but of no help and been to three diffrent DMV's.. same old crap.. This seems to be a bigger problem than getting GC.. now we will be restrictited of driving too??

Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Do u think, we did't do that.. We did everything possibly we could but of no help and been to three diffrent DMV's.. same old crap.. This seems to be a bigger problem than getting GC.. now we will be restrictited of driving too??
Talk to your Local "state" Congressman(woman)/Senator.

Contributed : $225
Help IV to help yourself!!

EB2-India
Labor PD: 11/2005
I-140 AD: 07/2006
I-485 RD: 07/02/2007
I-485 AD: :8/4/2010
Card Received : 8/13/2010

Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Default Thanks for the suggestion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1B-GC View Post
Talk to your Local "state" Congressman(woman)/Senator.
I will certainly do that..

RV..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Default Sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley View Post

Pls. reply to my PM, I sent you earlier.

Thanks..

RV