Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

some sort of recapture is better than none !!! we should try to have some relief for EB but let us not stand in the way of FB ..the reason is simple, unused FB visas overflow in to EB (if I am not mistaken) ...In fact that is one of the reason that EB2 India did not move much this year since they are more efficient with FB visa this year (see the pace at which it is moving this year as opposed to last year) so better to wait and watch.
(my post is in response to h1tech's post on the first page)

Last edited by hiralal; 07-16-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightsider View Post
All,

AILA has a template of a letter/email to Congress members that can be used to express support for visa recapture and immigration reform.

Please check out
AILA - Web Resources

You may like to modify the message to suit your life situation and preferences. For example, instead of undocumented aliens, I used the opportunity to stress the difficulties of employment-based applicants. While I have nothing against them, it is my belief that I need to stress my own problem and seek a resolution.

And, I have also forwarded the link and my mail to all my friends who are waiting for green cards. More importantly, I have asked my relatives and friends, who are citizens or who have green cards, to pitch in and write for our sake.

My suggestion, should you agree with the above, is not only to write to your Congress members but also ask your relatives and friends to do likewise.

Best wishes
We advice not to use this template and form. The message and the organization sending it for their advocacy agenda is very important. Even if you change the wording, people will hardly read the letter. They will look at the organization that sent it and its agenda.

It is better to call or email your senators and congressmen with a personal message. When there is a need for a fax campaign, IV will activate its fax campaign system here http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...ails&Itemid=46

If you email or call your Congressmen or Senator, do tell them that you are a member of ImmigrationVoice so that their office can make the connection to your calls, meetings and emails in our advocacy meetings. Another point to note that in person meetings have much more effect than emails. You may get a standard reply to your emails. Sometimes the response may talk about a general immigration position of the senator rather than a specific reply to your question.

BTW do not quote any bill # yet. If you want to talk about Recapture, just say recapture of unused visas for Employment based category.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 07-16-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
HopeSprings will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiralal View Post
some sort of recapture is better than none !!! we should try to have some relief for EB but let us not stand in the way of FB ..the reason is simple, unused FB visas overflow in to EB (if I am not mistaken) ...In fact that is one of the reason that EB2 India did not move much this year since they are more efficient with FB visa this year (see the pace at which it is moving this year as opposed to last year) so better to wait and watch.
(my post is in response to h1tech's post on the first page)
Recapturing unused EB visas and allocating them to FB is absolutely not a good idea for EB category people. If such a thing happens then there will be no unused visa to be recaptured for EB.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
We advice not to use this template and form. The message and the organization sending it for their advocacy agenda is very important. Even if you change the wording, people will hardly read the letter. They will look at the organization that sent it and its agenda.

It is better to call or email your senators and congressmen with a personal message. When there is a need for a fax campaign, IV will activate its fax campaign system here http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...ails&Itemid=46

If you email or call your Congressmen or Senator, do tell them that you are a member of ImmigrationVoice so that their office can make the connection to your calls, meetings and emails in our advocacy meetings. Another point to note that in person meetings have much more effect than emails. You may get a standard reply to your emails. Sometimes the response may talk about a general immigration position of the senator rather than a specific reply to your question.

BTW do not quote any bill # yet. If you want to talk about Recapture, just say recapture of unused visas for Employment based category.
Hi Pappu,
Not sure I follow your argument here. Why should we not pursue the CIR and Recapture Bill action alert via AILA site. Also I am curious to know why IV has not put up a fax campaign for the same - given that this issue is clearly the focus on much of the IV agenda. Finally, I would think that while it is important to campaign directly to those in the know and power, as IV does and encourages members to do, there is something to be said for the strength of numbers. And one of the many ways IV can demonstrate that strength is not just to quote numbers in lobbying efforts but also to display direct interest of members and indeed non-members via faxes sent. IV Core and Donor Forum - some response from you would help us understand the path being pursued here.

Regards,

Raji

Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
validIV will become famous soon enough validIV will become famous soon enough

I'm not quite getting the second last point of the bill:

Quote:
Promoting family unity by allowing more people who are already eligible for an immigrant visa to efficiently use our legal family immigration system.
Anyone know what that means?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2008
Compare
Seek_Gc is on a distinguished road

The link provided in the front page shows
H.R. 6938 [110th]: Reuniting Families Act (GovTrack.us)

This bill never became law. This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session.

Then why are we still talking about sending fax etc to senators ? am i missing current link

Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold Raji is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation HR 2709, 111th Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek_Gc View Post
The link provided in the front page shows
H.R. 6938 [110th]: Reuniting Families Act (GovTrack.us)

This bill never became law. This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session.

Then why are we still talking about sending fax etc to senators ? am i missing current link
.................................................. .................................................. ..............................

The Bill under discussion is: H.R. 2709: Reuniting Families Act (GovTrack.us)
and forms part of the 111th Congress. It is currently under referral to committee.

Thanks!

Raji

Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default fax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raji View Post
Hi Pappu,
Not sure I follow your argument here. Why should we not pursue the CIR and Recapture Bill action alert via AILA site. Also I am curious to know why IV has not put up a fax campaign for the same - given that this issue is clearly the focus on much of the IV agenda. Finally, I would think that while it is important to campaign directly to those in the know and power, as IV does and encourages members to do, there is something to be said for the strength of numbers. And one of the many ways IV can demonstrate that strength is not just to quote numbers in lobbying efforts but also to display direct interest of members and indeed non-members via faxes sent. IV Core and Donor Forum - some response from you would help us understand the path being pursued here.

Regards,

Raji

As you are aware there is alot going on right now. The administration is talking about CIR.
Lots of bills with small provisions get talked up or introduced. In fact that happens every year if you look back. We keep an eye on what's moving and where the effort is needed. We do not want to waste our resources and effort if something may end up simply being a placeholder or a position statement.
In a nutshell, there will be fax campaign when we are advised (by lawmakers, lobbyists and friendly advocacy groups among others) and we determine that it is needed and will be effective.

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal View Post
As you are aware there is alot going on right now. The administration is talking about CIR.
Lots of bills with small provisions get talked up or introduced. In fact that happens every year if you look back. We keep an eye on what's moving and where the effort is needed. We do not want to waste our resources and effort if something may end up simply being a placeholder or a position statement.
In a nutshell, there will be fax campaign when we are advised (by lawmakers, lobbyists and friendly advocacy groups among others) and we determine that it is needed and will be effective.
Thanks for the response Paskal. However I still do not underststand why IV is not encouraging everyone to send faxes and register their support via the AILA site. As I have understood AILA has been a leader in this effort for immigration {see July 2007}. If you are trying to say that the interests of AILA and IV are not exactly the same - that is to be expected - no 2 organizations can ever be the same - BUT - surely we can come together to form and pursue some strategic interests. I see that with regard to these bills IV and AILA interests meet. Further if readers @ IV send messages via AILA Action Alert then IV resources can be saved to follow the path that you have described above.

Finally, the bill may be a placeholder or position statement, but in the end we need to demonstrate the numbers - highlighting this bill may eventually lead to some worthwhile convergence in the CIR - I think no opportunity need be lost in this process and the more we highlight our position and condition the more visibility we get.

Regards!

Raji

Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the response PASCAL. However I still do not understand why IV is not encouraging everyone to send faxes and register their support via the AILA site. As I have understood AILA has been a leader in this effort for immigration {see July 2007}. If you are trying to say that the interests of AILA and IV are not exactly the same - that is to be expected - no 2 organizations can ever be the same - BUT - surely we can come together to form and pursue some strategic interests. I see that with regard to these bills IV and AILA interests meet. Further if readers @ IV send messages via AILA Action Alert then IV resources can be saved to follow the path that you have described above.

Finally, the bill may be a placeholder or position statement, but in the end we need to demonstrate the numbers - highlighting this bill may eventually lead to some worthwhile convergence in the CIR - I think no opportunity need be lost in this process and the more we highlight our position and condition the more visibility we get.

Regards!

Raji

Sorry you do not understand- I really cannot do better right now. Sometimes you just have to accept things! It's not that we do not coordinate or associate with AILA. We do.
The issue here is very specific, both pappu and I have told you what we think and attempted to explain why we do not want to invest resources in a specific action you suggested. Given that I can't spend the hours needed to explain the last few years of work and experience on this issue, I doubt this discussion will go anywhere. Feel free to send the fax. Just accept that we are not going to promote this as a mass action right now for many reasons. Peace!

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCperm View Post
Is it possible to add VISA recapture to this bill? ????

Family reuniting Bill H.R. 2709 Introduced Jun 4, 2009.
H.R. 2709: Reuniting Families Act (GovTrack.us)
you got it! its done.... only because u said it.... for such a brilliant idea which no one could think..... i want to nominate you for the president of the united states of america

proud member of 'GCperm for president'!!!!

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
santa123 is a jewel in the rough santa123 is a jewel in the rough santa123 is a jewel in the rough santa123 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post
you got it! its done.... only because u said it.... for such a brilliant idea which no one could think..... i want to nominate you for the president of the united states of america

proud member of 'GCperm for president'!!!!
who do you think you are? Sotomayor or what? Down with your unwanted sarcasm!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal View Post
Sorry you do not understand- I really cannot do better right now. Sometimes you just have to accept things! It's not that we do not coordinate or associate with AILA. We do.
The issue here is very specific, both pappu and I have told you what we think and attempted to explain why we do not want to invest resources in a specific action you suggested. Given that I can't spend the hours needed to explain the last few years of work and experience on this issue, I doubt this discussion will go anywhere. Feel free to send the fax. Just accept that we are not going to promote this as a mass action right now for many reasons. Peace!
Paskal, You are right - I do not understand. But mostly I cannot understand because as an organisation - you do not explain. Frankly, all I can do is register my disappointment at both your response and your attitude.While I get it that IV is actively involved in doing things over the years aimed at resolving this issue, I might feel that I could respect and maybe even understand these efforts better if IV kept its website up to date and all members who sign in updated on what's happening.

I have often seen threads on this site that have members complaining that IV is not doing anything - to which invariably the response is that one should join the donor forum. On the other hand we get newsletters from admin that ask up to tighten our belts etc. - and get more involved. Well, that cannot happen unless IV provides more updated information on what IV is actually doing, veiled references to behind the scenes activity and years of hard work are not enough to involve all those who have signed up here to become 'more involved'.

As for this discussion going nowhere I could not agree more - you see to have an open discussion or indeed debate - there must be at least 2 willing participants. And since you have already decided that you do not have time for the Qs of a mere non-paying member of this forum, I do not expect any better.

By the way, the way ahead is not to close doors, but to welcome questions and encourge those on this forum with curiosity to be more active. More often than not, I have seen that those who Q on this forum, are mocked, ignored, and treated as if they are wasting CORE's time. Sad for a forum that hopes to involve a wider audience in this issue.

Thanks!!
Raji

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Just dont complain...

Dude, You might be a new entry in to the ball of Immigration now. As said earlier , every one is free to judge and post the queries. If IV is shutting door of any questions you wouldnt have seen forum threads. There is enough discussion and direction taken on information being released to ALL members. Why one should complain IV not doing anything ?

here are some atleast, immaterial you agree or not:

1. If ppl are reaping benefits of EAD for multiple years , its becoz of IV.
2. whole of July fiasco was a win becoz of IV , not sure whether you are in the boat, but i can see the pain and how IV helped all of us.
3. all the admin fixes were co-ordinated by IV ,
4. The list goes on.. those 3 above are just enough to prove the help an ORGANIZATION did with minimal resources. Also please note none of the core are full time IV , they are also ppl like you and me.

Reason one has donor forum is becoz they are trusted sources. How can one know that you are pro-immigrant or anti-immigrant.

You would see dialy or minutes updates on sites of anti-immigrants becoz they have dedicated members and number base is too high.

Again , no one is shutting door against you, looking at your post i see you are shutting door against yourself just becoz your idea of Fax through AILA is not acceptable as an IV agenda.

Do you know first of all what provisions in CIR 2007 were in there which would have broke the back of ppl on H1 and potential immigrants? Can you confirm which provisions of CIR 2009 if there be one will help you ? will you support CIR even if it says you have to go back to india in no time ? AILA never mentioned in first place whether it would support EB community.

Plain simple, we pay Dollars even to newspaper ... You dont want to contribute for your own cause but get info for free and prove that will raise for your own cause. Those newsletters are for your benefit and collectively for the whole community.

Still IV is posting info to non-paying members , IV Never shuts its door but with limited resources they are doing what they can. Before complaining on IV you do your part.

Hope this helps you to rethink differently...

Also , FYI... AILA doesnt post all messages to free members .. all the critical info is circulated via PAID members of AILA.. this is part of any organization ... Can you complain against AILA, becoz if you are FREE member of AILA you still get emails like the one reg. Fax to CIR... There is a lot going in background for CIR than many of us even know...

Quote:
Paskal, You are right - I do not understand. But mostly I cannot understand because as an organisation - you do not explain. Frankly, all I can do is register my disappointment at both your response and your attitude.While I get it that IV is actively involved in doing things over the years aimed at resolving this issue, I might feel that I could respect and maybe even understand these efforts better if IV kept its website up to date and all members who sign in updated on what's happening.

I have often seen threads on this site that have members complaining that IV is not doing anything - to which invariably the response is that one should join the donor forum. On the other hand we get newsletters from admin that ask up to tighten our belts etc. - and get more involved. Well, that cannot happen unless IV provides more updated information on what IV is actually doing, veiled references to behind the scenes activity and years of hard work are not enough to involve all those who have signed up here to become 'more involved'.

As for this discussion going nowhere I could not agree more - you see to have an open discussion or indeed debate - there must be at least 2 willing participants. And since you have already decided that you do not have time for the Qs of a mere non-paying member of this forum, I do not expect any better.

By the way, the way ahead is not to close doors, but to welcome questions and encourge those on this forum with curiosity to be more active. More often than not, I have seen that those who Q on this forum, are mocked, ignored, and treated as if they are wasting CORE's time. Sad for a forum that hopes to involve a wider audience in this issue.

Thanks!!
Raji

Last edited by bigboy007; 07-18-2009 at 07:47 AM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute
Default audience

dear mr. "audience",

one more "highly skilled" immigrant thinks she/he is "audience".... "audience"!!!! nice

life is going waste in gc backlog but .... "audience", oh and someone forgot to ask, while you are watching this movie titled 'my life is being wasted in gc backlog'.... would you like to get some popcorn and coke with it..... why? because that's what "audience" do..... they enjoy the game and movie when someone else is doing something..... but the "audience" sit on the sidelines and watch

you seem to very much enjoy this movie 'my life is being wasted in gc backlog'? with your kind of star cast it has got to be a grammy winner... thank you mr. "audience" for the wonderful performance.... time for you to speak out your garmmy winner speech, and don't forget to thank all the people on that list.... aila aila aila aila aila aila, and btw, and whom are we forgetting, did you miss out aila

Quote:

Thanks!!
Raji

Last edited by ronhira; 07-18-2009 at 08:56 AM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.