Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough Imigrait is a jewel in the rough

sledge hammer ...... less "hathoda" please.

Punjabi, foreclosure is legal in the US. If necessary, you've gotto go for it. Others on this thread have given good advice. Especially, figure out what the downsides of foreclosure is. Just figure out if it will be difficult to rent in the future if you declare foreclosure. Rest, do what is financially good for you. Hope things work out for you.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Compare
nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2606 View Post
Hey hammer guy,

did you see the presidential debates? forget about the "highly educated" and "highly skilled" stuff for a while. I am getting into a street fight to win over you, just get into the dicussion.

Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8px_KyIFyo. Check the top 10 Bush moments. If you have a problem blame it on some body . This time it is lender's turn.

To be frank, I am in the corporate world as a Director of some crap and I see no ethics.Face the life buddy. Don't talk this ehics shit in this world. Tell me frankly if you did not throw any one under the bus for your future (you don't have to tell, just get it to your thoughts).

And to answer your question, my parents are illeterates, they did not teach me anything (I love them a lot still because they spent lot of money to get me to this position), I learnt a lot by myself with their money.
No wonder we are in this mess. After this economic storm we will be learning in managment classes on the enrons and unethical gurus and how we have in place rules to avoid this crap again. And we will probably not have capitalism as we know...

Old 11-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2006-04-10
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-08-04
Compare
suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light

One thing i would like to emphasize like others, is background check when you apply for any company in future. Most good companies do a thorough check which includes your credit history. When i joined the company i currently work , I asked for a copy of the report for my reference and it did include that i have a good credit history. Not sure how much companies pay attention to this but yes if they do it could affect your employment chances at some of the top companies.

On the positive side, I strongly believe that the economy will come back on track. Who knows 5-10 years from now your decision may look good. As others advised you should also consider renting out your place... With the population ever increasing, and the land being constant, I always think investment in land will always be a good investment on the long run. At least you have something concrete to show for your money .

Rest the feeling that you are doing the right thing even though its the hard way is always priceless

Anyways i agree its easier to say these things sitting on the other side of the fence.

Hope things work out the best for you.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"

Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
qasleuth - You do not even deserve my reply. So you are free to write anything that you want!
why ? is that how you respond to a co-worker or manager at work, if you do not agree with them ? Repond like a grown up with rational arguments.
Setting aside moral and ethical arguments: three of your five suggestions are plain wrong, financially speaking:
taking new credit cards, buying a new car, renting an apartment. Interest rates are not locked and do you know, financial institutions can close your account and ask for the balance ? renters run credit report every time you extend your lease and can kick the renter out. These transactions may seem seamless for a person with decent credit but are extremely damaging for a person with very poor credit.

Leo2606, Being ethical is not a fancy word in business, in the long run (I am not talking about decades) your partners, customers and lenders will know about your practices and run away. Ethics and Morals are not something you take lightly especially when you are running your own business.

Take time to read some of the references listed here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_ethics

Being unethical can lead to legal problems apart from business losses. There is prudence and judgement which needs to be exercised, does not mean you do not have to be smart.

Last edited by qasleuth; 11-23-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2008
Compare
arulz has a spectacular aura about arulz has a spectacular aura about
Default 2 cents

Foreclosure and bankruptcy will not affect your job search... especially in this market.

If you encounter a situation in future and HR questions you about bad credit or bankruptcy be honest and explain what happened and companies will understand. This is a tough economy and even millionaires are foreclosing because its the smart thing to do in a capitalist economy.

Similarly applying for bankruptcy is not bad, it is there for a reason. But remember, understand the bankruptcy laws; for example if you owe 100,000 and apply for bankruptcy the chances are the court will make you pay for it. If you owe 1mill then the court knows that you cannot pay and will dissolve it. Same applies for foreclosure, banks will help you if you cannot afford to make the payment. If you can and they think you can, you are screwed. sorry!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Another short-term decision

You've already made one short term decision- home prices are rising let me cash in!! Note, I said home prices and not home values.

Dont make another short term decision- everyone is walking away, let me do the same. No more debt- wow!!

As others have said on this forum, there is no reason to exclude yourself from the legions of "fools" who caused the mortgage crisis.

-a

Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi77 View Post
Where did I say that american's gave better advice than desis. I was just trying to compare mentality of two diff community for a same situation.
I m not asking for personal opinion as to how u feel when someone foreclose.I m asking for an advice as to what r the consequences
It was greedy people like you who brought us into this mess. Didnt you think twice before making this huge investment. There are lots of websites/sources saying if you are not going to live in that house for at least five years, Do not buy it.

Every one thought they can make money because the house price is going go up all the time. But only the other guys are 'Stupid'.

Well, when you are going for foreclose it will affect your credit history for very long time. Even it will reset your credit card rate to default APR around 32-38%. I am not sure about the other consequences.
# Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously.

Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate
111 Massachusetts Ave., NW Suite 7002,
Mail Stop 2280 Washington,
D.C. 20529-2280
FDNS@dhs.gov
filing without current PD

Last edited by snathan; 11-23-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute dilbert_cal has a reputation beyond repute

You want to foreclose for a matter of 20K -- I'm really surprised by your thinking process. Based on it, I would assume you had a zero down loan.

In my opinion and this is my opinion only ( and this is only from a financial perspective only ), taking a hit on your credit report for 7 years for a 20k monetary hit doesnt make sense.

the moral , ethical part of it -- well there are quite a few folks on either side of it and I'll let them continue arguing for/against it :-)

Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute kopra has a reputation beyond repute
Default having a bad credit is a mess

Please consider the after effects of filing bankruptcy and foreclosure. Your credit has a lot of things to do, its not just the credit cards or loans. It may affect even your ability to get another job. Getting another apt will be a big problem as this remains in the credit file for along time. None of the good apt complex will offer the apt, and you may be forced to live in a crime-ridden area with your family. if you cannot make the payment or you feel that your home has lost its value, ( I hate to say this) default your payment for 60-90 days and you can file to get into the new federal program where your mortgage will be adjusted to pay a smaller amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi77 View Post
I had bought a house 2 years back thinking that i will sell it after couple of years and make money. I know many people might have done that. I didnt knwo that having a house will become a burden for me wrt moving to a different place in search of a job. I do see jobs in cities outside my state and was thinking of applying for those jobs. My problem is that if i sell my house, i will have to pay from my own pocket.
Having a house in this market has become a pain as it has made me immobile with respect to good job offers.
I was thinking that incase i find a job in a different state and cannot travel back home frequently and also renting is not a good option then should i leave the house to the bank for foreclosure?
Will this affect my GC process. I have no plans of buying a house in coming years.
What might be an outcome of foreclosure, keeping in mind that i am wiating for my GC process.
If anyone had an experiecne like this or may know someone, please share ur thought..

Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

"punjabi77" is losing $20,000 if he puts his house on sale. He wants to avoid a loss of a mere 20Gs and take on the consequences of a foreclosure!

And your advice to him is to buy a better car (which is going to set him back another 15Gs at least), and get more credit cards?

Did you even go to college? You claim to be higly skilled and educated, I really doubt it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
Do things in this order -

1. Find a job first.
2. Secure a good apartment at new job's location.
3. If you need a better car buy one right now.
4. Get some credit cards.

5. Let your home go to foreclosure.

It is a financial decision. Every once in a while, most of us go to different stores and ask them to match the price for the item that we had purchased earlier. If they do not match the price then we return that item. Don't we? Do not get sentimental. Just walk off! Your credit history would get screwed but if you plan it the way I said above, you will be fine. Good luck.

And it won't affect your GC.

Last edited by sledge_hammer; 11-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge_hammer View Post
When you buy a home you sign a contract saying you will pay the loan amount at the end of the loan term with interest. There was a commitment made. And you are saying people who walk away without fulfilling their obligation are smart? Fool!

And who do you think is footing the bill for bailing out those banks? its you and me! You are not only dishonest and unethical, you must be really dumb if you think you are not going to be paying for the mistakes of people like punjabi when they "walk away" from their homes. Idiot!
This reminds me of the following exchange from Seinfeld :

Quote:
Jerry : So were going to make the Post Office pay for my new stereo ?
Kramer : It's just a write off for them .
Jerry : How is it a write off ?
Kramer : They just write it off .
Jerry : Write it off what ?
Kramer : Jerry all these big companies they write off everything
Jerry : You don't even know what a write off is .
Kramer : Do you ?
Jerry : No . I don't .
Kramer : But they do and they are the ones writing it off .
Jerry : I wish I just had the last twenty seconds of my life back .
But seriously, Punjabi, screwing up your credit history for 20,000 dollars is not a very smart move, especially if you're planning on living here for the rest of your life. Not sure if it will affect your job prospects in the future but what I AM sure of is everything else will be affected, even everyday things like getting car insurance. If you want to switch to a different insurer, your premium will increase if you have bad credit history. As someone else said, you need to really think this through because it will be a life-changing decision for you. People who are telling you to go ahead and do it just because it is legal are not giving you good advice. And people who are advising you to go ahead and do it and get a couple more credit cards and a new car while you are at it, well, these people really have no business giving anyone any advice about anything.
I-485 delivered to NSC 8 August 2007
Receipted at TSC 2 October 2007

Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Buddy sledge_hammer this is the mess mortgage companies created, they need to face it.fanie's and fadie's caused this mess and they to need face it ?
I don't understand what you are trying to get at by asking me a question if Freddie and Fannie need to face "it"? If you are so sure they caused it, why ask me?

Who the hell are "fanie" and "fadie"? Are they your work buddies? Its "Fannie" and "Freddie"!

And why the hell is there an apostrophe ('s) to indicate plurality?

Quote:
Do you think the individual should sit in that home and hit on their head with the 'sledgehammer' when they are in this mess? I would say get the f**k out of that house and lead peaceful life.
What mess? "punjabi77" is not in a mess! He is losing 20K if he sells his home. He is looking to relocate becuase he has found a better paying job.

You must be one of those idiots who can't construct logical arguments but just wants a piece of it on a forum to look like they too contributed to a current affairs topic. The likes of you read a couple of headlines on the internet or overhear someone at the water fountain talk "economics" and want to show off their new found knowledge over a forum where other ignorant and ill-informed trolls just like you give crappy suggestions and advices, and all of you think you know what you're talking about!

Quote:
Sledge_hammer, use the thing in your screen name on your head to make your thoughts work correctly. Hey don't get me started.
Well, you should really have warned me about not getting you started at the begining of all that crap you wrote, not at the end! Now that I have gotten you "started", what are you going to do about it dimwit?????

Last edited by sledge_hammer; 11-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided not to reply to any of the comments here and I will stick to that decision. However, I have received quite a few red dots with following comments....that shows how mature people are in this forum. Thank you.

11-24-2008 09:56 AM ass**ole
11-24-2008 09:51 AM bad advice
11-23-2008 03:32 AM foreclose and then buy a new car and get some credit cards? THIS is the fuckin reason we are all ina mess now.
11-23-2008 01:54 AM not good
I-140 - Approved
I-485 - July 2007 and pending
Filed 2nd labor in 2009
Filed 2nd I-140 in 2009
Ported the PD
GC in 08-2010 almost 10 years after coming to the US.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute

punjabi,

If you can afford the payments and the loss in home value is not that much (20k per your earlier post is not that bad), it makes no sense to go into foreclosure. I do understand you were hoping to make a profit by now but bad luck.

I am assuming you can still afford payments because you are only thinking of selling to move to a different city for better job opportunities. I also would think you have no desire to buy another house in that new city. So your net income per month should be comfortable and not the driving force.

So why don't you just rent your house and wait out the tough times? If you can afford the payment, you will stand to gain long term by not going into foreclosure....You are losing not just your credit history but also any equity you built as well as any future prospective returns on the house. Not to mention all that interest payments down the drain.

Finally, though I share your thoughts on the unfortunate situation with the home prices falling, I do believe that you share equal responsibility for your financial decisions. So my humble advise is to take this as a learning experience and plan for both good and bad situations with important financial decisions.

All the best!!

Last edited by bondgoli007; 11-24-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forced foreclosure

I don't think you want to go into foreclosure. It will mar your credit report for sure, and it may be difficult for you to get another homeowners loan in the future.

Why don't you consider renting out your house via a property management firm?

Best of Luck!
I-140 approved Sept.'06, I-485 filed July '07
In the U.S. since 1994
Member Texas State Chapter
Funds Raised for Team IV Walking/Running Club - $2,997.00
Contributions to IV thusfar - $400.00

If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice.