Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.
Click to log in with Facebook
Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing. Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
uslegals will become famous soon enough uslegals will become famous soon enough
Default AP renewal - e-filing

Hello Friends,
My current AP expires on 2/18/11. My PD (EB-2) has been current since Sept 2010 but no sign of GC yet. I would like to renew my AP and have decided to file myself Vs using the attorney. Has anybody used the e-filing option OR is it better to send in a hard copy of the application.?

If somebody can kindly direct me to the appropriate links on IV for folks who have filed themselves - i would greatly appreciate that. Any advice on supporting documents, etc. would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute
Default it's easy

go to uscis.gov and sign up for e-filing. fill in the I-131 form for urself and wife et al. u will seriously save a ton of money that can be done in 15 minutes and follow uscis instructions only.

did that 3 months ago. got an RFE about photographs not being compliant with us passport requirements. sending response as I type.

all the best
-chakdepatte

Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare

thanks chakdepatte !...where do u mail all the docs...?? I read somewhere about a lock box and NOT directly to service center.?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare

I just read the instructions for E-filing of AP. This is what it says -

Who is Not Eligible to e-File This Form:
You are not eligible to electronically file this form if:

You have a pending I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence Status or Adjust Status currently at a USCIS office and you are eligible to file the I-131 for no additional fee.

Does that mean that only if your 485 application is @ a local office. My 485 is @ NBC, Biometrics is next week. I was told by my attorney that my application will then be transferred to local office for a interview. Don't know when though. Am i still eligible to E-file. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks !

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Default AP filing-kindly advice

I would appreciate any advice whether E-filing is eligible for folks have I-485 case pending.

Thanks !

Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, this applies to applicants who filed I-485 after 2007 fee increase, and those guys can renew their AP without any fee. From your profile its evident that you filed your I-485 before the fee increase and hence you are eligible for e-filing, and you will have to pay the required fee for your AP.

If you have not downloaded the I-131 instructions already, get it from here - http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf

BTW, I e-filed for AP multiple times for myself and spouse and got it approved each time without any RFE. I just followed the instructions in the above document. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uslegals View Post
I just read the instructions for E-filing of AP. This is what it says -

Who is Not Eligible to e-File This Form:
You are not eligible to electronically file this form if:

You have a pending I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence Status or Adjust Status currently at a USCIS office and you are eligible to file the I-131 for no additional fee.

Does that mean that only if your 485 application is @ a local office. My 485 is @ NBC, Biometrics is next week. I was told by my attorney that my application will then be transferred to local office for a interview. Don't know when though. Am i still eligible to E-file. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks !

Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare

thanks desertfox ! i I did apply before July 30, 2007 (recd. date for 485 is 7/17/07) which means that i do have to pay the fees for AP. I will go ahead and apply online.

Enjoy the weekend!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/03/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
GotFreedom? is a jewel in the rough GotFreedom? is a jewel in the rough GotFreedom? is a jewel in the rough GotFreedom? is a jewel in the rough
Default Make sure to send supporting documents after e-Filing AP

I e-filed my AP and did not send any documents and just received an RFE requesting 2 photographs(write alien number with pencil in the back) and a preferably color photocopy of a photo ID.

So, please make sure that you send those supporting documents with the e file receipt to USCIS. They give out the address and instructions at the end of the application which are easy to follow.

Nevertheless, I e Filed EAD too and did not send any supporting documents and they approved it without issuing any RFE. They used an older picture from my previous EAD.

My 2 paise!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dsneyog is infamous around these parts dsneyog is infamous around these parts dsneyog is infamous around these parts

how long it took for your EAD approval?
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotFreedom? View Post
I e-filed my AP and did not send any documents and just received an RFE requesting 2 photographs(write alien number with pencil in the back) and a preferably color photocopy of a photo ID.

So, please make sure that you send those supporting documents with the e file receipt to USCIS. They give out the address and instructions at the end of the application which are easy to follow.

Nevertheless, I e Filed EAD too and did not send any supporting documents and they approved it without issuing any RFE. They used an older picture from my previous EAD.

My 2 paise!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up took around 4 months

i called them after 90 days. they had no clue why it was not processed so they threw in a RFE for fotographs. send response, all cleared. in 15 days.

if ur case goes beyond 90 days, dont hesitate to call. all my 10 yrs with USCIS, They are are simply lazy and only know how to raise fees keeping immigrants as hostage.

All the best.
Oye chakdepatte