Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

View Poll Results: Should we send stoppers as a symbolic gesture to lawmakers?
Yes, last year a group had sent bricks as a symbolic gesture for broken borders. It worked well 28 22.05%
No 55 43.31%
I will do it, if majority of the members agree 44 34.65%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Bumper Stickers are a powerful tool to pread political messages in America. It may not catch the eye balls of the senators, but can definitely give spead the message of IV.

It's cheap, and long term free advertisement. I would say IV should distribute attractive non-controversial bumper-stickers, instead of flyers which end up in garbage cans

Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future sheela has a brilliant future
Default look at this

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc999 View Post
----
Ok, now that you have negated all ideas from other people, we anxiously wait for your ideas

I am sure you are not just some reactive person who can only criticize but can also provide us with a solution.
Lets hear em.
This is easy, practical and may be more effective.
Co-ordinate working round-the-clock (24 hours non-stop) wherever, in whatever organization/immigation community is working.Let it be coast-to-coast. let the work start as usual on friday morning at 8am and end at 8.am on saturday. Employers will be happy and we can win enormous support. Send simultaneous cards to uscis/law makers.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheela View Post
This is easy, practical and may be more effective.
Co-ordinate working round-the-clock (24 hours non-stop) wherever, in whatever organization/immigation community is working.Let it be coast-to-coast. let the work start as usual on friday morning at 8am and end at 8.am on saturday. Employers will be happy and we can win enormous support. Send simultaneous cards to uscis/law makers.
Wow, nice idea....!!

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcsngh has a spectacular aura about gcsngh has a spectacular aura about gcsngh has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Bumper stickers!!!

Is a great idea...the punch line must start with "Legal"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post
Bumper Stickers are a powerful tool to pread political messages in America. It may not catch the eye balls of the senators, but can definitely give spead the message of IV.

It's cheap, and long term free advertisement. I would say IV should distribute attractive non-controversial bumper-stickers, instead of flyers which end up in garbage cans

Old 09-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vutharkar is infamous around these parts

Since most of the west coast people who found it diffcult to attend the DC rally, was because of the cost/total flight time etc, for future may be it might be a better idea to conduct coordinated east coast (DC or new jersey or where ever there are huge legal immigrant aspirants) and west coast (silicon valley/bay area) rallies simultaneously. Probably even one somewhere in middle of USA (Texas ?)..

That way, not only does it give an impression that its a wide spread effort and get better noticed, but also make it more convenient for people to attend. And also may instill some sense of friendly competition between local IV chapters to 'beat the numbers' and may encourage people to attend the local rallies in huge numbers. And also it will even out the effect of some local region having poor attendance.

Also the burden on the 'core team' will also be spread out evenly, so we can conduct more such rallies in future at a shorter notice and with lesser effort. Key to this is developing the local chapters more, making them more autonomous and regulated.

It also has been mentioned in various posts that the hierarchical structure of the organization is not very transparent and many people seem to be still confused between 'core members'/admins versus 'senior members' and volunteers. I agree IV is by us and for all of us. But it doesn't hurt to have a streamlined organizational structure...(may be such a structure is already in place...if so then it needs to be more transparent ) That will make IV look more professional also.

Coming to ideas like sending more flowers ...or stoppers etc....
We need to be careful to not overdo things. It might dilute the intention and may even send negative message. And also sometimes well intentioned creative ideas but not immediately apparent, can fall flat.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vaishalikumar has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default joy

Stoppers idea is brilliant and should be done on a big scale. It will convey a strong message and will be in news.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaishalikumar View Post
Stoppers idea is brilliant and should be done on a big scale. It will convey a strong message and will be in news.
Yeah.. what next? shower caps? then groceries? C'mon man. Overdose of anything can be detrimental.

Just conveying a message is not sufficent. It should be the RIGHT message in a proper way. Flowers was good, because it was the first time something like that happened and it was unique.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute

I have added a poll to this thread.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default The reason is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyFiler View Post
Yeah.. what next? shower caps? then groceries? C'mon man. Overdose of anything can be detrimental.

Just conveying a message is not sufficent. It should be the RIGHT message in a proper way. Flowers was good, because it was the first time something like that happened and it was unique.
No, we are not going to abuse this and we won't be sending stuff over and over. But stoppers have a very Specific significance: to educate and differentiate between legal and illegal. A stopper says "Stop the reverse brain drain"...A stopper would pique people's interest becase we are typically lumped in with illegals, and a stopper does not exemplify what illegals are. Illegal immigration's message is: "legalize us and help new guest workers come", our stopper says "We are already legal and are already leaving, fix this before we all leave"

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all
Post We will get media attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaishalikumar View Post
These are my predictions if we do this stopper thing

1) People will try to know what this whole thing is about. ( So we should have the stage set for the propaganda to tell americans that they will lose big if we go home)
2) This could have a negative impact of drawing more anti-immigrant crowd which want us to leave no matter what. ( For a common american jobs for his himself and family is more important than what we are trying to say)
3) Stopper companies would get some free publicity ( Maybe some company is out there to sponsor this)

In my opinion this would not help much like the flower campaign. But there is no harm in trying.
I485 Appl Mailed - 5Jul2007
I485 Appl ND - 7Sep2007
FP date -??
I485 Approval - ??

Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default This stopper embodies ou situation

This is an actual drain stopper....feel familiar???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stopper.JPG (5.4 KB, 54 views)

Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Smile Do you have any other ideas?

Together we can come up with some bright ones - any input from you?

Also note, the flower campaign was dubbed stupid and insane by many before it started working and getting media attention, and eventually proved to be a brilliant idea! So let's keep our mind open to ideas.

jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyFiler View Post
>>>>-sending more flowers
please.. enough of flowers..

>>>>-a huge rally in Silicon Valley
Now you have seen what goes and does not go into a rally. This is a complicated task so it has to be planned, as was the DC one.

>>>-candlelight vigil at congress
This will work if high school students do it. not "highly skilled" immigrants.

>>>>-mass letter mailings from all of us
Yeah.. spam them with emails..

>>>-human chains
This involves same complexity as the rally. so its not an easy task.

>>>-hunger strike?
This will be stupidity. ( I am not calling you stupid, but the idea. so no need to jump on me). Eat your food and live healty and happy. Is GC worth going on hunger strikes and suicide attempts? Thats too much of desperation. You are not from Afghanistan or Kenya right..?

>>>-etc
What else?
Oh yeah.. the "drain stoppers" stuff.. thats again stupid. Thats too much literal comparison to brain drain.
Proud member of IV California/NorCal
I was in Washington, D.C.

on Sep 18th 2007

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by JazzByTheBay; 09-22-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all sapota is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree. This can get annoying. Sending flowers was a different thing a super brilliant idea...but bath-stoppers...where will the USCIS Director forward those?
:-)
He can send it to 'habitat for humanity' if he wants

Old 09-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default May with GCs and US Citizenship are leaving too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
No, we are not going to abuse this and we won't be sending stuff over and over. But stoppers have a very Specific significance: to educate and differentiate between legal and illegal. A stopper says "Stop the reverse brain drain"...A stopper would pique people's interest becase we are typically lumped in with illegals, and a stopper does not exemplify what illegals are. Illegal immigration's message is: "legalize us and help new guest workers come", our stopper says "We are already legal and are already leaving, fix this before we all leave"
Actually, many Indians with US Citizenship are leaving too. What I have seen with my friends and coworkers is that, the moment they receive the US passport they book a flight to India and come back when ever they please. If media picks up that fact, then what is our strategy?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Or he can just send them back to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapota View Post
He can send it to 'habitat for humanity' if he wants
Or he can just send them back to us