Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation
Click to log in with Facebook
Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation Gap in employment(paystubs) and the resulting problems during status transfer and green card filing.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
myvoiceid is on a distinguished road
Default H1B Layoff Please Advice!

Hi All,

I got laid off last week. I am in I-140 approved status and 6th year of my H1B expires in about 2 months.

I found a new employer: "Company A"; a small consulting firm which is willing to file for my H1B transfer immediately. Even though I am close to completion of my 6 years of H1B visa, I was advised by "Company A" that a H1B visa extension can be filed on my behalf using my approved I-140 status.

Also, out of anticipation for a possible lay off, recently I appeared in multiple interviews with "Company B", a large MNC and hence my first choice in my current career search. Based on my discussions with "Company B", I believe I am very close to getting an offer from "Company B". However, being a large MNC, things move slowly in "Company B" and holiday season is slowing things ever further. So, I think "Company B" may not come back with an offer before January 2010 (in fact first working day in 2010 is January 4, 2010).

My dilemma is that whether I wait for the offer from "Company B" or, go-ahead and file my H1B with "Company A" immediately. In this regard I have the following questions:

1. I heard that along with other documents, copies of recent Pay Stubs are needed for H1B filing and most recent pay stub should not be more than 2 weeks old. My last pay check is dated 12/15/2009. If I want to wait till January 2010 to file an H1B with "Company B", then I will not have a recent pay stub generated within previous 2 weeks. Is that really going to be a problem? Do you all know if USCIS is really strict about this "recent pay stub within previous 2 weeks" rule?

2. Is there a clear guideline from USCIS about within how many days an H1B transfer needs to be filed in case of a layoff?

3. To be on safe side, I am planning to file a 3 years H1B Extension (using approved I-140 status) with "Company A" immediately (i.e. in December 2009 itself) as for H1B filing I will be able to produce a recent pay stub that is generated within last 2 weeks.
When I get the most likely offer from "Company B" in early January 2010, do you all think that I can file another H1B Extension for 3 Years with "Company B"? If the answer to this question is 'yes'; are there any complications I should be concerned about?

Of course if "Company B" makes me the offer as expected in January 2010, I would like to pursue career in "Company B" instead of "Company A".

4. If I can file 2 separate H1B transfers, should I be concerned about which H1B gets approved first?

Any other thoughts, comments, suggestions in this regard will be well appreciated. Please respond. Thanks in advance!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvoiceid View Post
Hi All,

I got laid off last week. I am in I-140 approved status and 6th year of my H1B expires in about 2 months.

I found a new employer: "Company A"; a small consulting firm which is willing to file for my H1B transfer immediately. Even though I am close to completion of my 6 years of H1B visa, I was advised by "Company A" that a H1B visa extension can be filed on my behalf using my approved I-140 status.

Also, out of anticipation for a possible lay off, recently I appeared in multiple interviews with "Company B", a large MNC and hence my first choice in my current career search. Based on my discussions with "Company B", I believe I am very close to getting an offer from "Company B". However, being a large MNC, things move slowly in "Company B" and holiday season is slowing things ever further. So, I think "Company B" may not come back with an offer before January 2010 (in fact first working day in 2010 is January 4, 2010).

My dilemma is that whether I wait for the offer from "Company B" or, go-ahead and file my H1B with "Company A" immediately. In this regard I have the following questions:

1. I heard that along with other documents, copies of recent Pay Stubs are needed for H1B filing and most recent pay stub should not be more than 2 weeks old. My last pay check is dated 12/15/2009. If I want to wait till January 2010 to file an H1B with "Company B", then I will not have a recent pay stub generated within previous 2 weeks. Is that really going to be a problem? Do you all know if USCIS is really strict about this "recent pay stub within previous 2 weeks" rule?

2. Is there a clear guideline from USCIS about within how many days an H1B transfer needs to be filed in case of a layoff?
Technically, there can be no gap in employment at all, not even a day. So you cannot expect a "guideline" from USCIS.

Quote:
3. To be on safe side, I am planning to file a 3 years H1B Extension (using approved I-140 status) with "Company A" immediately (i.e. in December 2009 itself) as for H1B filing I will be able to produce a recent pay stub that is generated within last 2 weeks.
When I get the most likely offer from "Company B" in early January 2010, do you all think that I can file another H1B Extension for 3 Years with "Company B"? If the answer to this question is 'yes'; are there any complications I should be concerned about?

Of course if "Company B" makes me the offer as expected in January 2010, I would like to pursue career in "Company B" instead of "Company A".
You can ditch company A without any issue (other than ethical/moral ones).

Quote:
4. If I can file 2 separate H1B transfers, should I be concerned about which H1B gets approved first?

Any other thoughts, comments, suggestions in this regard will be well appreciated. Please respond. Thanks in advance!
I am guessing that the last I-797 should override the rest. However, it is probably better to do them sequentially (try your best not to confuse USCIS).

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute
Default For 2 months?

To the Original Poster: Did you apply for 485?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
myvoiceid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
To the Original Poster: Did you apply for 485?

My I-485 was not filed as the priority date is not current.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 yr extension w/o I-485

Quote:
My I-485 was not filed as the priority date is not current.
Are you sure that you can apply for a 3 year H1-B extension ? Have you consulted an attorney on this?

Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold

My understanding in this situation is ..myvoiceid will get extension for only remaining months in 6th year ie 2 months. To get 3 years H1B with company B, he needs a LC & 1-140 approved with company B.

If this is not right .. please let us know .. i am also in same situation ..Approved 140 .. crossed 6th year. Not able to move !!

Synonyms for inJustice:
Abuse, breach, crime, damage, dirty deal, discrimination, encroachment, favoritism, grievance, inequality, inequity, infraction, infringement, iniquity, malfeasance, malpractice, maltreatment, mischief, negligence, offense, one-sidedness, oppression, outrage, partiality, partisanship, prejudice, raw deal, rotten deal, ruin, sellout, transgression, trespass, unfairness, unjustness, unlawfulness, villainy, violation, wrongdoing

Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Default Let's think this through ...

Let's think this through ...

I've been with Company X for 4 years where they have cleared the LC (PERM) and I-140 for my "future job" with them. Since priority date is not current I can't apply for 485 / get an EAD. I have 6 months left on my initial 6 yrs of H1-B left.

So what happens if Company X lets go of me?

a. (Company X wants nothing to do with me anymore) I move to Company Y but as far as I know I can only get 6 more months of H1B and then I go back to my home country.

b. (Say Company X wants to hire me back for my "future job") I leave for my home country immediately / after 6 months of working for Company Y. Trouble here is that since I have not chosen to go the consular processing route my application for the "future job" with Company X gets canceled automatically.

Considering the above two scenarios I am not sure how the OP is thinking of applying for a 3 year extension.

My knowledge is limited only to stuff I've learnt from forums. If it comes to it obviously I'd hire an attorney for the "real" details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramkalyan View Post
My understanding in this situation is ..myvoiceid will get extension for only remaining months in 6th year ie 2 months. To get 3 years H1B with company B, he needs a LC & 1-140 approved with company B.

If this is not right .. please let us know .. i am also in same situation ..Approved 140 .. crossed 6th year. Not able to move !!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold

To the original Poster,

Here is the break down of your situation based on my knowledge from various forums and needs validation from your Attorney.

1. You can get 3 years extn from Company A based on the approved I-140. You can get extension only once and further extension requires either pending Labour more than one yera or I-140 approval from Company A.

2. You can transfer your H1 from Company A to Company B after your current extension is approved for Company A for 3 years. This again requires pay stubs from Company A.

As you can use your approved I-140 only once for either Compnay A or Company B. I am NOT sure what happens if you apply H1B extn for both Company A & Company B symultaneously.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
psczd4 will become famous soon enough

To myvoiceid:

This is from my personal experience: I was in a very similar situation early April 2009 with only 6 months left in my 6th year H1b and with approved I 140- (Cmpy A). I used up my vacation holidays so that even after my last day, I still have my pay stub to transition to a different employer.
I transferred to a small company (Cmpy B) for a very similar job position and started my paper transfer + extension for H1b using my I 140 approved ( given that the employer does not cancel this process)- I used the normal process for filing and it look nearly 3 months for approval. I received a 3 year extension.
During this time, I found another position (with similarities to my previous positions) in a different location and accepted this position but had to wait until I get my approved H1b for a transfer. This lawyer used my Cmpy A's green card paper work and Cmpy B extension to file for another transfer and extension using Premium processing. I got it approved in a week's time but got extension for 2 year (due to lawyer's error in filing paperwork). It looks like my life with visa chase is never ending.
My suggestion would be for you to take up the Company A position so that you don't go out of status. When you get the job offer with Company B, it nearly takes a month for your acceptance cum relocation etc.
Hope this helps and my best wishes.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Default That's good to know!

gcmadhu, psczd4:

I had no idea that after getting a 3 yr extension for a current job in Company A (where the 3 yr extension is based on the approved I-140 filed by Company A) one could move to Company B as a regular H1-B.

Are there any conditions associated with the move to Company B like Company A should not revoke the GC application etc.?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold

And , should Company B apply Green Card Process immediately before Company A cancel Green Card. ?

Synonyms for inJustice:
Abuse, breach, crime, damage, dirty deal, discrimination, encroachment, favoritism, grievance, inequality, inequity, infraction, infringement, iniquity, malfeasance, malpractice, maltreatment, mischief, negligence, offense, one-sidedness, oppression, outrage, partiality, partisanship, prejudice, raw deal, rotten deal, ruin, sellout, transgression, trespass, unfairness, unjustness, unlawfulness, villainy, violation, wrongdoing

Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold gcmadhu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
gcmadhu, psczd4:

I had no idea that after getting a 3 yr extension for a current job in Company A (where the 3 yr extension is based on the approved I-140 filed by Company A) one could move to Company B as a regular H1-B.

Are there any conditions associated with the move to Company B like Company A should not revoke the GC application etc.?
Once the H1B extension is approved based on the previous approved I-140, it doesn't matter whether the previous I-140 got revoked or not by Company A. One more thing is the priority date on previous I-140 also can be retained to new Labour/I-140 applied through Company B as the priority date will be locked for the applicant once the I-140 is approved.

Again all this information I posted above is aquired from various forums and need to be validated with the Attorny.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/27/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immoral trafickers :)

All you immoral traitors jumping from one company to another, no wonder USCIS is still busy bcos of u guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by psczd4 View Post
To myvoiceid:

This is from my personal experience: I was in a very similar situation early April 2009 with only 6 months left in my 6th year H1b and with approved I 140- (Cmpy A). I used up my vacation holidays so that even after my last day, I still have my pay stub to transition to a different employer.
I transferred to a small company (Cmpy B) for a very similar job position and started my paper transfer + extension for H1b using my I 140 approved ( given that the employer does not cancel this process)- I used the normal process for filing and it look nearly 3 months for approval. I received a 3 year extension.
During this time, I found another position (with similarities to my previous positions) in a different location and accepted this position but had to wait until I get my approved H1b for a transfer. This lawyer used my Cmpy A's green card paper work and Cmpy B extension to file for another transfer and extension using Premium processing. I got it approved in a week's time but got extension for 2 year (due to lawyer's error in filing paperwork). It looks like my life with visa chase is never ending.
My suggestion would be for you to take up the Company A position so that you don't go out of status. When you get the job offer with Company B, it nearly takes a month for your acceptance cum relocation etc.
Hope this helps and my best wishes.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpds View Post
All you immoral traitors jumping from one company to another, no wonder USCIS is still busy bcos of u guys
What exactly is your problem? Jumping from one company to other OR making USCIS busy?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Default I disagree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpds View Post
Nah! Nothing immoral about it. People work for money. If employers want loyalty let them hire a dog.

BTW ... I've been with my current company for 4 years now and hope to be here for another 6 at least (green card or H1-B). It's my choice and there is nothing "loyal" about it. They treat me right and I get the job done ... simple!