Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aggie5976 is infamous around these parts
Default Mother-in-law denied tourist visa 2X

My mother-in-law just got denied a 2nd time for a tourist visa.

Some background info: I'm an American citizen and my husband is a green card holder. We've been married for 4 years now. My husband only gets 2 weeks vacation a year and has only seen his mother once since he left Dubai for college in the US in 2000. Both my mother-in-law and my husband are Indian citizens. However, my mother-in-law has a business in Dubai so she lives and runs her business there. My husband's father died when my husband was a teenager but her brother and his family live in Dubai also and help her with her business. A few years ago, she remarried a Canadian citizen and evidently obtained a Canadian permanent residence card (I didn't know that she was a Canadian permanent resident until after the 2nd denial). While they were married, they stayed mostly in Dubai. However, he died about a year ago and she has no intent to go back to Canada.

She first applied for a tourist visa in 2001 to come visit my husband and she was denied. Recently, she applied again. My brother-in-law, whose an attorney in Australia, went to Dubai and helped her with her application, such as getting bank accounts records and other documents evidencing her ownership of the business in Dubai. We also sent a bank statement and a letter of invitation to them to show to the interviewer. However, she was denied a tourist visa to the US to visit us. My brother-in-law said that the interviewer told her she needed to go to Canada to apply for tourist visa. However, she's lived in Dubai for over 26 years. I don't see how Canada would be a more appropriate place to apply than Dubai (where she lives and owns a business) or India (where she has family, property, and citizenship).

At this point, I feel this is getting completely ridiculous. Prior to her 2nd application, I talked to the immigration attorneys at my law school's immigration clinic and they gave me information about what types of documents we should submit to the consulate to show that she has strong ties to the her country of residence and that she would not overstay her visa. We gathered these documents and submitted them to the consulate. However, it doesn't seem to have done much good. The immigration clinic suggested that we should think about hiring an attorney. However, I'm not sure what an attorney could do that we haven't already done.

I don't know if this matters but my mother-in-law doesn't speak very good English and she gets really nervous.

What else can I do to get this issue resolved? As I said above, I feel this is getting ridiculous. What more can we possibly do? Eventually, either my brother-in-law or husband (once he gets his citizenship) are going to apply for her to come live in Australia or the US. However, this is going to take a few years and I hope we don't have to wait until then for her to come visit us in the US.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default Visa

For non-immigrant visa, you need to show strong ties to home country. She don't have that. Dubai is not her home country. So better thing is, your husband can take citizenship after 3 years (now you married for 4 years) and file GC for the mother. All will take less than one year. Don't be crazy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie5976 View Post

Some background info: I'm an American citizen and my husband is a green card holder. We've been married for 4 years now. My husband only gets 2 weeks vacation a year and has only seen his mother once since he left Dubai for college in the US in 2000. Both my mother-in-law and my husband are Indian citizens. However, my mother-in-law has a business in Dubai so she lives and runs her business there. My husband's father died when my husband was a teenager but her brother and his family live in Dubai also and help her with her business. A few years ago, she remarried a Canadian citizen and evidently obtained a Canadian permanent residence card (I didn't know that she was a Canadian permanent resident until after the 2nd denial). While they were married, they stayed mostly in Dubai. However, he died about a year ago and she has no intent to go back to Canada.

She first applied for a tourist visa in 2001 to come visit my husband and she was denied. Recently, she applied again. My brother-in-law, whose an attorney in Australia, went to Dubai and helped her with her application, such as getting bank accounts records and other documents evidencing her ownership of the business in Dubai. We also sent a bank statement and a letter of invitation to them to show to the interviewer. However, she was denied a tourist visa to the US to visit us. My brother-in-law said that the interviewer told her she needed to go to Canada to apply for tourist visa. However, she's lived in Dubai for over 26 years. I don't see how Canada would be a more appropriate place to apply than Dubai (where she lives and owns a business) or India (where she has family, property, and citizenship).

At this point, I feel this is getting completely ridiculous. Prior to her 2nd application, I talked to the immigration attorneys at my law school's immigration clinic and they gave me information about what types of documents we should submit to the consulate to show that she has strong ties to the her country of residence and that she would not overstay her visa. We gathered these documents and submitted them to the consulate. However, it doesn't seem to have done much good. The immigration clinic suggested that we should think about hiring an attorney. However, I'm not sure what an attorney could do that we haven't already done.

I don't know if this matters but my mother-in-law doesn't speak very good English and she gets really nervous.

What else can I do to get this issue resolved? As I said above, I feel this is getting ridiculous. What more can we possibly do? Eventually, either my brother-in-law or husband (once he gets his citizenship) are going to apply for her to come live in Australia or the US. However, this is going to take a few years and I hope we don't have to wait until then for her to come visit us in the US.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
attorneyeric is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:

Show strong points like Property papers and other assets which are substantial enough to prove that she will come back.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsnet View Post
For non-immigrant visa, you need to show strong ties to home country. She don't have that. Dubai is not her home country. So better thing is, your husband can take citizenship after 3 years (now you married for 4 years) and file GC for the mother. All will take less than one year. Don't be crazy about it.
There are people who got married to USC got their USC in three years. If the person is here and married for four year...he should explore the possibility for filing USC.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default visa

She want her mother-in-law for a visit. Don't want to see as a permanent resident in their house.
WHAT A LOVING WONDERFUL DAUGHTER-IN-LAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
There are people who got married to USC got their USC in three years. If the person is here and married for four year...he should explore the possibility for filing USC.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
atul555 is infamous around these parts atul555 is infamous around these parts atul555 is infamous around these parts atul555 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Congratulations !!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute vin13 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Your MIL doesnot have strong ties to go back to India as both her sons are out of the country and she is considered a potential immigrant. That is the main reason why she is getting her visitor visa denied.

Paper work may not be the problem. You need to think about how she can convince the officer at the consulate that she has all intentions/ties to go back to her home country.

Now, the best option available is to get her to US on an immigrant visa (green card) once your husband becomes a citizen.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute my2239 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hi,
Sorry about your situation
I was in a similar situation and wanted to offer some advice

Firstly, given that no document in the world can prove in a concrete manner that she is not a potential immigrant, the visa officer relies heavily only how she presents herself during the interview

If the visa officer (even incorrectly, without any basis) is convinced that she may be a potential immigrant, he will reject the case

So having her prepare for the interview and also coaching her to not be nervous is important

I had the same problem with my in laws and to make things clear, they genuinely were interested in just visiting their daughter (My children were born in India and we did not need them for the so called, often misunderstood statement that the in laws come here to help with pregnancy which is considered illegal for some strange reason only the US consulate would know!)

When we discussed about coaching my in laws on presentation skills, they were still very tense

This is what I did:
Stated all of the above facts in a letter to my local senator
Had the Senator fax a letter to Chief Consular officer of the US consulate in India
The senator got a standard reply from the consulate within 24 hours stating that "The US consulate would do its best in granting a visa as long as all laws laid down by the US DOS and USCIS are followed”. The US Consulate response even stated that the Senator could share this information with his constituent (that is me) and the applicant (my in laws)

I sent original copies of this message with my in laws and took an appointment in the local language (had to wait for at least 2 additional months to get one)

When my in laws went, they were greeted by the US Consular officer to their surprise in the local language! The interview was very polite and cordial and the in laws were asked simple questions like who they are going to visit and how long they are going to stay

They got the VISA for 10 years, multiple entries

I do not know even to this day if the Senator letter did any good or it was the calm and composed nature of the interview where my in laws could field questions in a language they were comfortable in

But either way I hope this helps

Also I would sincerely suggest that your mother in law give up her Candian green card voluntarily if she is not going to use it anyway and carry documentation regarding that to the interview

It is best if she can take the interview form a consulate in India, in her local language and is she is tense, please ask her to have a lwyer accomapny her. The Murthy Law firm (google for it) has an Indian office and is known to have helped several people in a professional manner

I would cretainly of course arrange for a Senator letter if you can

Wishing you all the best and hope your in law gets her visa

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold gimmemygreen is a splendid one to behold
Default U are lucky dude

Quote:

My mother in law got a 10 year Multiple entry.... I am scr....ed

Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute

I think getting a letter from you senator or congressman really does help a lot. I would strongly suggest you go this route, especially since you are a US Citizen.

One of my friends' dad was rejected 2 times. My friend is an Indian citizen, yet the senator helped him by faxing a letter to the Mumbai consulate. The visa was approved.

Also, I may be wrong about this, but I believe if you are rejected twice, the subsequent appeals are only by mail. There is no interview. You submit a document and they mail back acceptance or rejection. Maybe things have changed, but that's how it was for my friend's dad.