Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
India2Indy is on a distinguished road
Default Mother-in-law got B2 visa in second attempt!!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences which definitely helped others like me. I thought I too should share my experience of getting a B2 visa for my widowed mother-in-law.

First Attempt: I sponsored her visa. The visa officer asked few questions about the family and handed her the denial letter. Even though my sister-in-law is unmarried and living with my mother-in-law, the visa officer wasn't convinced that she had strong ties back home. It is crazy to think that having an unmarried daughter is not a strong enough tie to go back, but who knows what was going through that visa officer's mind.

Second Attempt: Even thought a lot of my friends recommended trying again only after couple of months, we thought we would give it try in couple of weeks so that we can bring her over before the winter. We decided to try a bit differently the second time. She self-sponsored her visa the second time. Also, she made a specific mention about the recurring income from house rent & bank deposits. I think that did the trick and she got the visa!!

Here is my two cents - I think self-sponsoring and establishing proof of recurring income increases the chances of getting visa for single parents, who are not employed. We almost lost our hope when we read several stories of single/widowed parents getting their visas denied. Luckily, my mother-in-law got her visa!

I hope this info helps. Good luck to you all!!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2002
Chargeability
:
Ireland
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2002
Compare
MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute MCQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beware of cultural bias in your thinking.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2Indy View Post
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences which definitely helped others like me. I thought I too should share my experience of getting a B2 visa for my widowed mother-in-law.

First Attempt: I sponsored her visa. The visa officer asked few questions about the family and handed her the denial letter. Even though my sister-in-law is unmarried and living with my mother-in-law, the visa officer wasn't convinced that she had strong ties back home. It is crazy to think that having an unmarried daughter is not a strong enough tie to go back, but who knows what was going through that visa officer's mind.

Second Attempt: Even thought a lot of my friends recommended trying again only after couple of months, we thought we would give it try in couple of weeks so that we can bring her over before the winter. We decided to try a bit differently the second time. She self-sponsored her visa the second time. Also, she made a specific mention about the recurring income from house rent & bank deposits. I think that did the trick and she got the visa!!

Here is my two cents - I think self-sponsoring and establishing proof of recurring income increases the chances of getting visa for single parents, who are not employed. We almost lost our hope when we read several stories of single/widowed parents getting their visas denied. Luckily, my mother-in-law got her visa!

"who knows what was going through that Visa Officer's mind"...............

Sorry to tell you mate, but what was going through his mind were Probably American cultural norms, and indeed most Western cultural norms, where this is , essentially an ok practice. Especially if the daughter is of an age to take care of herself.

Do not pre-suppose that these people will take your cultural practices into account when they decide who they will let into their country. That is conceit and arrogance, I'm afraid. And I've seen to much of it from my own community being Irish, even though we share many of the same values as the Americans.

It's ok to vent at injustice as you see it, but remember, look isn't the guys on the other side's viewpoint first and their worldview before you do, and then vent constructively. This post did not

McQ

Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/31/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute srikant9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2Indy View Post

Great news...Which consulate? If I may ask how much funds were shown and for how many days was the travel? How many years of visitors visa did she get?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts

How they issued B2 visa for mother-in-law? , looks like there are still loop-holes, Anyway how long can she stay in US?