Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2007
Compare
vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute
Default India may drag US to WTO over H-1B, L-1 visa fee hike

NEW DELHI: India may drag the United States to the World Trade Organization , or WTO, over its decision to raise professional visa fees for an extended period and impose a 2% import levy on goods and services sold to the US government, a senior official has said.

The commerce department is studying details of the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 which aims to increase visa fee and import taxes on supplies to government to set up a $4.3 billion fund for sharing the healthcare burden of those affected by 9/11 terror attack in New York.

The Senate passed the bill last week and India will soon take a decision on approaching the WTO, commerce secretary Rahul Khullar told ET on Monday.

The final bill, which is now with US President Barak Obama to be signed into law, spells more trouble for Indian industry than the one initially proposed as it imposes an additional levy of 2% on all goods and services sold by Indian companies to the US government and extends the period for higher visa fees from 2014 to 2021.

India has been trying for months to persuade its third largest trade partner to revoke the proposal to increase H1B and L1 visa fees as it could raise the cost of Indian IT companies operating in the US by $200 million annually.

"We do not rush into disputes, but beyond a point, patience does run out," Dr Khullar said, adding that it may be time for the country to explore the option of settling the issue at the WTO.

The first step would be to seek consultations with the US at the WTO on the contents of the bill and if the matter doesn't get resolved, a dispute settlement panel could be set up, the secretary said.

The 2% tax will be levied on countries that are not signatories to the government procurement agreement (GPA) of the WTO, including India.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute pd052009 has a reputation beyond repute

As this bill hurts big corporations, the govt may try something like this. But I sincerely doubt "Indian" Govt will seriously do something for this.
c) priority date and
d)location to i485.mailing.list@gmail.com .

Until Congress enacts legislation to eliminate backlogs, people who cannot file I485 will always be in limbo and at the mercy of endless H1B visa extensions and visa stamps. Join us and be a part of future IV initiatives to push USCIS to allow I485 filing without current PD.
Wiki

Last edited by pd052009; 01-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pnara2 is a name known to all pnara2 is a name known to all pnara2 is a name known to all pnara2 is a name known to all pnara2 is a name known to all pnara2 is a name known to all
Default Lol

Just think that you read a joke!

US Govt will try and squeeze every single penny whereever possible, especially, considering the high unemployment rates lingering around lately!

Infact Indian govt should learn how to milk money from the US corporates who operate in India. Probably they do now but unfortunately the benefits are not reaped by the common masses in india!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute

It's all gas gas gas... Manmohan Singh is heading one of the most corrupt & messy govt. in the history of India. All the ministers are busy looting the country and would like to make most in the remaining 3 years of their terms. Forget they will do anything that would benefit anybody else but themselves..it's only that overexcited journos ask the ministers what they will do and without even thinking they vomit nonsenses. Think logically how this can be a WTO issue, it is completely in their jurisdiction whatever fees they may want to charge, take it or move on...nobody is forcing them to use the expensive Visas ?

Last edited by Hello_Hello; 01-04-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts senram is infamous around these parts

It is possible that India might take this to WTO. But that is a long shot and by the time result comes it will be 2 years or more and law itself is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello_Hello View Post
It's all gas gas gas... Manmohan Singh is heading one of the most corrupt & messy govt. in the history of India. All the ministers are busy looting the country and would like to make most in the remaining 3 years of their terms. Forget they will do anything that would benefit anybody else but themselves..it's only that overexcited journos ask the ministers what they will do and without even thinking they vomit nonsenses. Think logically how this can be a WTO issue, it is completely in their jurisdiction whatever fees they may want to charge, take it or move on...nobody is forcing them to use the expensive Visas ?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

Indian govt trying to please IT companies....nothing will happen. Just lip service like any other promise by our beloved politicians.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute buddyinsd has a reputation beyond repute
Default IndianImmigrationVoice

LOL--- Proposing a new name for this website: IndianImmigrationVoice.org which would be more appropriate as 99% of ppl posting on this website talks about US immigration only from an Indian point of view --- LOL

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice

Very simple. Impose some kind of a tax for companies not registered in India but have employees more than 20,000. Kinda foolish to do this but I guess a small tx would get the money back.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute

This is how they could have replied. They should have started a 10 Rs. Education cess on every McDonald burger sold and every Pepsi/Coke bottle sold and every pizza sold by pizza hut & Dominos. This is barely anything, as it is only what we see on the surface, other big corporation like Walmart and several defense contractors are also operating freely and feeling home. Indian govt. should start taxing them..
America teaches Swadeshi when it comes to America & Videshi when in Videsh, it is hypocrisy..

Last edited by Hello_Hello; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyinsd View Post
LOL--- Proposing a new name for this website: IndianImmigrationVoice.org which would be more appropriate as 99% of ppl posting on this website talks about US immigration only from an Indian point of view --- LOL
with original witty quips like that, i would really encourage you to be a standup comic.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello_Hello View Post
This is how they could have replied. They should have started a 10 Rs. Education cess on every McDonald burger sold and every Pepsi/Coke bottle sold and every pizza sold by pizza hut & Dominos. This is barely anything, as it is only what we see on the surface, other big corporation like Walmart and several defense contractors are also operating freely and feeling home. Indian govt. should start taxing them..
America teaches Swadeshi when it comes to America & Videshi when in Videsh, it is hypocrisy..
When it comes to shaking down foreign companies, the Indian govt. is way ahead of the US govt. The Indian govt is suing Vodafone for acquiring Orange and Kraft for acquiring Cadbury insisting that these companies should have done a tax deduction at source when buying these companies. Meaning that if Kraft bought Cadbury for $100mill, they should have paid only $70 mill and sent the $30 mill check to the govt.

Look it up, and you'll realize that any government in the world will shake anyone down for some extra money, not because it's right but BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you do have to give them some credit for restoring the balance with UK... Maybe this will be good time to bring up social security savings

On another matter -- birthright citizenship.. there could be a window of opportunity to include provision against country limits, as both use country of birth as the criteria.