Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Congrats to OP for not letting GC process hamper the life ... all the best!

The career opportunities are getting better in BRIC countries and if you are from one of these places, then you have a unique advantage (like being a British in 19th century or like being an American in 20th century).

Of course, which place to call your home is a very personal choice that does change over time ... may all of us be at peace with their choices...

Old 08-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
saatiish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer666 View Post
New Direct Tax Code: Major relief for salaried class

After having read this article, seems like the income taxes in India would be much cheaper than here and hence more discretionary spending.

I havent been in the grind of the immigration greencard etc. just yet, but seeing the cases on here and frustration and wait, I personally am having serious thoughts about going back home.

Penny for your thoughts!
read in Times of India that the relief is a max of 26,000 Rs only for the class that benefits from it the most. I did not read the article completely though.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gaurav_sh2 has a spectacular aura about gaurav_sh2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Moved back!!

Hi Guys,
I moved back to india last year in nov 2009. Reasons were same long GC process, uncertanity..etc.
I make much moer than 10L/PA and working as manager for a financial giant at bangalore.

If any one wants more inputs drop me a email at gaurav.shriv@gmail.com. I will be glad to give my opinions.

Last edited by gaurav_sh2; 08-30-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_sh2 View Post
Hi Guys,
I moved back to india last year in nov 2009. Reasons were same long GC process, uncertanity..etc.
I make much moer than 10L/PM and working as manager for a financial giant at bangalore.

If any one wants more inputs drop me a email at gaurav.shriv@gmail.com. I will be glad to give my opinions.
Are you sure it is 10L/PM or is it 10L/PA. I know IT job market in India is hot but is it really 10L/PM. What is your qualification and exp ?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gaurav_sh2 has a spectacular aura about gaurav_sh2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishmunn View Post
Are you sure it is 10L/PM or is it 10L/PA. I know IT job market in India is hot but is it really 10L/PM. What is your qualification and exp ?
Thanks Krish..its 10L/PA -

Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of

Role of VP in India is totally different from role of VP in US. Many of my colleagues are AVPs at GS . But they are still coding. TCS has lot of PMs who just write programs but their designations are PMs. My friend has a consulting/developemnt company. He is Vice president for presales, strategic planning etc etc. Becoming a VP is easy,but keeping that role is very very tough. How many VPs can a company have???Lot of things to consider about if youw ant to become director and above level in India.

Total contributions $120

Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/04/2008
Compare
xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute xyzgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default ?

With the green card, everybody feels like a free bird for some days and then its all back to the grind.
Remember a worker's life depends on the employment, he/she can never be free.
Getting tired of the green card waits and going back to India will not solve anything either because you'll get tired there as well after the intial (psuedo) bump in your designation and once you come face to face with the realities that job titles really don't mean anything. For instance - managers and senior managers are dime-a-dozen in India and when there is too much supply and less demand, the value goes down (economics 101).

As someone pointed out how many people do you need really need in the top 10-20% of any organization?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzgc View Post
With the green card, everybody feels like a free bird for some days and then its all back to the grind.
Remember a worker's life depends on the employment, he/she can never be free.
Getting tired of the green card waits and going back to India will not solve anything either because you'll get tired there as well after the intial (psuedo) bump in your designation and once you come face to face with the realities that job titles really don't mean anything. For instance - managers and senior managers are dime-a-dozen in India and when there is too much supply and less demand, the value goes down (economics 101).

As someone pointed out how many people do you need really need in the top 10-20% of any organization?
Youare absolutely right. The initial euphoria of GC/ moving-back-with-fancy-title job will not last more than a few weeks. After that, the reality hits. THe reality will hit much harder for those who left India long time ago (more than 10-12 years ago) and have either little or no experience working in the Indian corporate world.
With GC, there comes release of the mental bonds that many of us feel while waiting in the queue. I have fellows here, in my office, who work with me, their GC's have trickled in over the last year or so. Nothing changed for them, they still show up at the same time of the day, still do the same work as they did, eat lunch together in the same cafeteria etc...
The only difference, as one of these guys pointed out is, "it is nice to know that I have the greencard".

From what I have heard and seen, the corporate and workplace culture in India is very toxic, specially in the IT industry ( I am not in IT, in fact far from it), but I can imagine what it is like.
For those who have worked in India and are still employed by Indian companies here, in US, in the recent years, and now want to move back will probably find it easier to adjust since they aer used to the work culture and are conditioned accordingly.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default I can see only two SOLID reasons here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
sorcerer666,

Their was a big thread about going back to india if you search. As few have suggested going back to india is totally personal decision and based on personal situations, there are lot of parameters come into play like, kids, money, security, quality of life, social life, age and to take care of parents in india, etc... so decisions differs for each person. By the way if there is a double dip recession in US (just in case) things will be horrible here..
Of all the reasons you have cited (1) "to take care of parents in india (2) "kids" seems to be the most solid and resonable. The others, like security, quality of life, social life..I am not so sure...
I mean, people were catching fish, on the streets of hyderabad, during recent flooding..so much for quality of life..

The double dip recession can turn into a blessing in disguise. This translates into low visa demand from ROW countries. THis means higher spillover for I/C :-)

Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_sh2 View Post
Thanks Krish..its 10L/PA -
Hi Gaurav, how much would you require to live comfortably (family with one school going kid) in Blore? Are you married? Just to get an idea about the current situation.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts u.misc is infamous around these parts
Default Your's Choice

Quote:
New Direct Tax Code: Major relief for salaried class

After having read this article, seems like the income taxes in India would be much cheaper than here and hence more discretionary spending.

I havent been in the grind of the immigration greencard etc. just yet, but seeing the cases on here and frustration and wait, I personally am having serious thoughts about going back home.

Penny for your thoughts!
I lived in this country for 11 years now, changed 5 jobs , bought 2 homes, traveled 100 of breath taking locations nationally and internally ... It never occurred to me to go back to India even a single time. You make good money here in US working in IT, you can change jobs whenever buy whatever you think of without longing for it. This is home now .... I won't trade a single day spent in US for anything. And Yes all I did here was with no GC in pocket. Did it ever bother me ? Hell No.
Those who want to go back,please be my guest ... there is site call "makemytrip", you can find best airfare there. Don't preach how to choose you life. I love India and devoted 23 years of my life there but can't imagine raising my kids there.
America to me is Home Sweet Home.
When it comes to leaving America, people just say it but never do it...Thats why we have 150,000 EB application in backlog for India.. If you really want to leave, don't apply for GC and spare a visa number for who wants to live here.
Ram Ram

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma001 View Post
Role of VP in India is totally different from role of VP in US. Many of my colleagues are AVPs at GS . But they are still coding. TCS has lot of PMs who just write programs but their designations are PMs. My friend has a consulting/developemnt company. He is Vice president for presales, strategic planning etc etc. Becoming a VP is easy,but keeping that role is very very tough. How many VPs can a company have???Lot of things to consider about if youw ant to become director and above level in India.
Umm right...... Once your director of presales has oversold the company the guy coding has to fix the shit.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice
Default someone

If you want to work for someone else whole life, yeah where do you live doesnt matter. You can almost pick a place and find a job there if you are qualified.\

The discussion has more than being spending your life for someone else's profit, if you want to rise in career, do something on your own, be enterpreneur, then H1, GC may not be the best route.

Other countries offer the benefit of not being tied to one employer as soon as you enter them.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have done the same thing and come back ...

buddy,
talk to me in PM before you board .... After 9+ yrs - I went back to India in May 09 with salary of 24L/yr in presumably the best city for IT jobs - Bangalore. However i ran back to US in Apr 2010 - things are not as rosy as it seems from here. Money can't solve all the problems ..... neither mastercard

rest is upto you ...

Regards,
Diptam

Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice and support.

I have a oneway ticket booked for Sept 8th

the Income tax in India is on a sliding scale so it turns out to be profitable inspite of the 30% above the 10 lakhs, also no state tax, social security(as it is , its broke), medicare and other taxes, cheaper healthcare...., social life and also a decent job offer uncertainity here,

I am on a temporary sabattical from my company here(not consulting), so if I dont find it reasonable there then I can always come back here and join the end of the line for greencard .

Thanks for the guys who are supportive and regards to who are ridiculing this thought