Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future

I always wonder why the A/Q guys always approach desis to sell their concept of so called financial freedom. Why don’t they approach American’s? Cuz they knew that Americans can’t stand their BullS*** and would beat the crap out of them.

These guys daydream of becoming millionaire's someday, a vision given to them by their cult leaders who show castles in air and they follow him like a child holding his index finger. But Alas! The truth hurts. They loose their dignity, relationship, friends and self respect in hopes of achieving their blurred dream.

All I can say to A/Q guys is “GET A LIFE”. There are many ways to make money and A/Q is definitely not one of them. Who ever achieved success in life, did so by creating their own path and not by following a path laid by others. So be a man and stop kissing a**.

Last edited by americandesi; 10-20-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wonderlust has a spectacular aura about wonderlust has a spectacular aura about
Default AGREE With You

After more than 7 years in the state and having worked in a field that deals with human beings, I think we need to think broader than our country/ ethnicity of origin. I have found great individuals from different countires and ethnicities. I learned a great deal from them. They broadened my world.

I also learned to appreciate the diversity in America. Yes, there is still predjudice, but you have a fighting chance:Have the opportunity to learn, from nurturing and kind-hearted people who may be Americans, German, British, Chinese, Indian...Be assertive, like the Asian guy in a story posted above; and earn respect for our good work.

I learned to develop a broader identity. My fellow country men/women als tend to appear cold (BTW, I am not indian). But i no longer feel bad about it. Because I know I can find friendship, warmth, and trust from so many others, whose ethnicity and country of origin does not matter the bond we can build.

Wonderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by xela View Post
I will say right away that I am not Indian nonetheless I think the idea applies to all nations.
Why do you expect them to be more helpful just because they came from the same country.
I rather think you will find helpful people in any form, shape and nationality. In my case all the help I got came from Americans as well as Chinese, Indian etc, who made sure I was well settled and knew where everything was. Some even welcomed me for Thanksgiving and other family occasions.

I guess I have learned where ever I lived, that there are always kind people and some that simply want to be left alone. And in big cities anonymity rules everywhere in this world.

--Monthly contributer, DC rally participant and volunteer

Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Maverick1 has a spectacular aura about Maverick1 has a spectacular aura about Maverick1 has a spectacular aura about

I don't want to argue about the good and bad of A/Q because enough was said and one can't easily change the feelings about it one way or the other.
You are accusing every one here of making it personal but I believe you made it personal. I suggest you go back and read all your posts one more time.

This is the gist :

1) People around here are ignorant and arrogant. Can't see your point.
2) You an an IITian and went to best business school.
3) Other IITian are doing this (A/Q)business , there fore it must be good.

I feel sorry when successful businessmen from IIT,MIT , Top notch MBA and CPA (top rank) waste time by following every post and try to EDUCATE some unknown people.

Although I sympathize with your position , I don't necessarily agree the route you took to put your point across. May be that is some thing you learned in your business school. Some thing like sticker shock. Throw IIT and MIT around and people will listen.

Good luck in your successful business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb View Post
After Libra's remark I saw that people have problem in having healthy discussion without getting personal. Maybe it is my fault. As a businessman myself, I thought if people could come out of their shell, see things and evaluate on their own and be analytical and understand the difference between business model and people pursuing it, it would be of some help. As I said earlier, I used to be like you guys. Arrogant, I know it all, please no facts because I like these other opinions, etc. End of the day I did the same thing what I was doing yesterday and I will do the same tomorrow what I did today.
But fortunately when life hits we look at other options. I realized in this country owning any business has more meaning and purpose then doing 8-5.
It has more potential and specs to be wealthy and I realized my job had no spec for my lofty goals. I speak from authority because my job was to evaluate business for VC. I know what many of us do here. but sadly how many of know how to set up a simple retail business. I saw Komala Vilas in bay area run by IIT-M alumni and that made me think. I saw my batch mates from IIT-D, MIT setting up Supply chains and I saw the trend in retail distribution. And that is why I suggested 711/Ebay and Q comparison. Ever wondered why there are many kids 18-24 who are wealthy here in last 5 years? they are in retail or building community like myspace/facebook, etc.

Maybe it is not for us.. this business, etc. Maybe being where we are is OK for many. Maybe we cannot say NO politely. Or Maybe we never wish to learn to be respectful who is simply offering an opportunity to make $$. I dread how some of us are treating telemarketers. They are purely selling products. No possibility of sharing opportunities like in Q/A. Can we have respect for fellow beings if they are pursuing their goals.

Anyway it is time for my weekend and this will be my last comment on this Q/A vs People in general.
If we focus on people who conduct business rather than on the model we see with blurred vision. Hope everybody gets GC soon and let us focus on issues on our hand in IV.

Last edited by Maverick1; 10-13-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of mrane1 has much to be proud of
Talking

12 years in America... went to school in south lived on the East coast (NY/NJ/Philly/Boston) for 5 years and last 5 years in BA... Not a single desi has approached me with Q/A... I have always heard about the harrassment from others... whats wrong with me? I feel discriminated
Is there anyone else who has lived in desi hubs for a substantial amount of time and has never been approached by Q/A?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrane1 View Post
12 years in America... went to school in south lived on the East coast (NY/NJ/Philly/Boston) for 5 years and last 5 years in BA... Not a single desi has approached me with Q/A... I have always heard about the harrassment from others... whats wrong with me? I feel discriminated
Is there anyone else who has lived in desi hubs for a substantial amount of time and has never been approached by Q/A?
IV folks who are approached by IV for some active participation in doing small small stuff and small contributions also look at us as if we are ammway or quickstar.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of mhathi has much to be proud of

Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld. A telemarketer calls Seinfeld to sell some product.

Seinfeld: I'm sorry I'm busy now can you give me your phone number and I will call you later in the evening?

Telemarketer: err...I can't do that sir.

Seinfeld: so you are saying you don't Want people calling you at home?

Telemarketer: yes.

Seinfeld: well, now you know how I feel!

And that is exactly how I feel as well!
Recurring Contribution: $50 since Dec '07
Member of IV-MD/DC/VA chapter
Link to Chapter Website

Last edited by mhathi; 10-20-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
leo2606 is a splendid one to behold leo2606 is a splendid one to behold leo2606 is a splendid one to behold leo2606 is a splendid one to behold leo2606 is a splendid one to behold leo2606 is a splendid one to behold leo2606 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't quite understand, what is 'dose'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
There was a marriage proposal for me back in 2003, my parents gave my number to THIS guy and he called me and started talking to me about educational background, job and everything. And then i am not very good in making friends and he is not interested in me at all bcoz of that 'quality'. he never told me that but kept calling me and talking. I told him my work times and all, then started calling at home to talk to my rommates when am not at home. and then my rommate asked me 'who is this quickstar guy?' then i gave him a nice dose that he never called me back.

and i can't imagine some people here are supporting such business. business driving people crazy that they are ready to do anything..

Old 10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2606 View Post
I didn't quite understand, what is 'dose'?
That's an Indian slang for "giving an earful"

Old 10-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jgh_res will become famous soon enough

Quote:
7 years and not even once.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perhaps your look, attitude may not be fitting to Typical Desi look/attitude at first sight so those guys may be thinking .. "He does not look like Desi" that is the only explanation I can come up with.

By the way I am here since last almost 8.5 years, lived in North-South-East-West and middle. Only one time experienced that and that is into Temple in Chicago. One guy came onto me and casually he talked about temple, Desis, his children (His son seemed to be the age of my son). Conversation lasted about 25 minutes in the temple.He exchanged his contact detail and so I also gave him my contact detail. During whole conversation he did not utter a single word about Q/A. After 3 days he called me at home and within 2 minutes of conversation he tried to trap me with Q/A and I suddenly realize the fact within 2 minutes and I bluntly cut him off saying I am not interetsed in that nonsense so please do not bring that topic in future. Our conversation almost finished there and I never got a call from him again. But when I read about other experiences one thing I found my guy was smarter than other guys with whome members had experience. My guy, during first conversation never brought Q/A in discussion at all. To develop acquintance only on social ground won him my trust for a moment so he could have my contact info..But then he made a mistake in other call, bringing Q/A right away... That won him my kick.

Note: After coming to USA I learned one lesson and that even temples are not out of clutches of this greedy society.
They also take their "business" into temples too.

Last edited by BharatPremi; 10-20-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future

Well, you have to notice and be aware about how many of them express their politeness, gratitude and apology truly from the heart, is genuine and sincere. You will be amazed to know that in most cases it is purely mechanical. A conditioning of the mind to say so.

I would never in my dream imagine my parents, siblings and near ones to say any of these words to me. It would be the least desirable.

In fact become aware that when there is genuine sense belongingness with somebody these words are utterly meaningless

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp! View Post
Asian cultures need to pick up the 'good' from western cultures and vice-versa. Expressing politeness, gratitude and apology explicitly is a good thing.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreekhand View Post
Well, you have to notice and be aware about how many of them express their politeness, gratitude and apology truly from the heart, is genuine and sincere. You will be amazed to know that in most cases it is purely mechanical. A conditioning of the mind to say so.

I would never in my dream imagine my parents, siblings and near ones to say any of these words to me. It would be the least desirable.

In fact become aware that when there is genuine sense belongingness with somebody these words are utterly meaningless
Whether it’s true from heart or mechanical, these words at least recognize fellow human beings. These attitudes are far better than showing off a false ego and treating fellow humans as crap.

We also need to appreciate the dignity of labor in US. No one is looked down for the kind of job they do. Even the janitors are respected at workplaces. Everybody does their job punctually and sincerely without supervision. If something goes wrong, efforts are made to make it accountable, rather than trying to pass the buck to others.

These are the qualities that took this nation to its soaring heights there by becoming the “office of the world”.

Please read the following thought provoking speech by NR Narayana Murthy

http://www.nriol.com/content/articles/article64.asp

Last edited by americandesi; 10-21-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kurtz_wolfgang is a jewel in the rough kurtz_wolfgang is a jewel in the rough kurtz_wolfgang is a jewel in the rough kurtz_wolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Way to go LogicLife....excellent arguments.....

And moreover if you are into Amway/Quickstar, you are a hero. If you are not interested, you are a loser??

Just as apb says --- And on the lighter note I cannot defend against ignorance, prejudiced opinions and total apathy.

I am not a phsychology student, but isn't that being passive agressive??

Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default fantastic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
When U r in an Indian grocery store and smile and greet another Indian - he/she will immediately avoid u. When I discussed this with people thay they different reasons
(1) They may think you are from Ammway or Quickstar
(2) By coming to America they think it is an achievement, when they see you, they think they are American and you are Indian
(3) They are afraid you may ask for favour.
(4) If you are a guy and if the other person is a guy - he may assume u r a gay if u r smiling at him and will avoid u
(5) if you are a guy and is the other person is a girl - her husband will think you are making passes at his wife if you smile so they will turn their faces away from you.

When I new to US in 2000, I used to work in a place called Alpharetta in GA, no good public transport . No car, no lisence , nothing ... there were so many Indians at my workplace, they used to take me out for lunch and talk big things like I get this at walmart, etc... no one offered to help me out with what I needed. There was a sweet Bangladeshi guy, who offered to give me a ride everyday until I am well settled with a car.

I am not sure if this happens in every community

i really enjoyed this post chandu...u nailed it there..
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
raajpagare will become famous soon enough
Default I had the same problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh_res View Post
When I smiled at other indian guys, most of them do repond. But girls donot. Not even gals who are probably going to school, forget abt married people.

I used to have the same problem, but then I started taking showers 5 times a week instead of once a week and things have gotten better now

Sorry, couldnt resist