Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wellwishergc is on a distinguished road
Default Rational Discussion: Going back to one's home country

Rational Discussion: Going back to one's home country

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets have a very rational discussion, evaluating pros and cons of going back to one's home country. Please, please, please do not post emotional, out-of-context comments. Restrict the comments to your personal situation/career in a very objective manner, how retrogression has affected your career, how going back to your home country may/may not be the right choice, why staying back in US may/may not be the right choice?

Based on the rational discussion here, we would be able to guide the next generation of potential immigrants (your friends, relatives, fellow-country men and women) or give information to the press back in our home country to present the correct picture of the current US immigration system, benefits/down-falls, etc.

Updating pros & cons of going back to your home country - based on feedback:
Pros:
1) Booming economies of countries like China, India; professionals have more opportunities in these economies
2) A place where you feel at home; large extended family back home

Cons:
1) Culture change - especially for US-born or US-raised kids to adapt to the home country culture
2) Losing out on SS benefits, if leaving US prior to completing 10 years
3) Quality of life and a relatively fair job culture, work-place and environment in US

Last edited by wellwishergc; 01-15-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rogerdepena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwishergc
Rational Discussion: Going back to one's home country

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets have a very rational discussion, evaluating pros and cons of going back to one's home country. Please, please, please do not post emotional, out-of-context comments. Restrict the comments to your personal situation/career in a very objective manner, how retrogression has affected your career, how going back to your home country may/may not be the right choice, why staying back in US may/may not be the right choice?

Based on the rational discussion here, we would be able to guide the next generation of potential immigrants (your friends, relatives, fellow-country men and women) or give information to the press back in our home country to present the correct picture of the current US immigration system, benefits/down-falls, etc.
CONS:

if you go back, you lose your SS benefit/pension. you need at least 10 work years to avail of it. the SS check would be a great pocket money when you retire and lived in your home country.

this is one of the conspiracy theory that they screw us with immigration so that we can't claim the SS benefit/pension. we are funding their retirement. so, don't let their xenophobic lazy ass enjoy your years of hardwork. fight the fight...at least up to 10 years.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

I think this con no longer holds true for many folks on this forum, since there are many who are approaching 10 years on H1-B itself. SS has no requirement that you have GC/citizenship to reclaim your pension, just that you work 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdepena
CONS:

if you go back, you lose your SS benefit/pension. you need at least 10 work years to avail of it. the SS check would be a great pocket money when you retire and lived in your home country.

this is one of the conspiracy theory that they screw us with immigration so that we can't claim the SS benefit/pension. we are funding their retirement. so, don't let their xenophobic lazy ass enjoy your years of hardwork. fight the fight...at least up to 10 years.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of
Default confused

I am not sure if I can find a job in my home country. Not sure if I can do what I am doing here in my home country. So either I'll have to get a MBA or start a mom and pop grocery store if I go back.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie
I think this con no longer holds true for many folks on this forum, since there are many who are approaching 10 years on H1-B itself. SS has no requirement that you have GC/citizenship to reclaim your pension, just that you work 10 years.
True, also the SSA requirement is that you earn 40 credits. Since you can earn 4 credits equivalent to $4000 in earnings after working just one month in a calendar year, the absolute minimum time you have to spend in the US to claim SS benefits is 8 years and 2 months.

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/credits1.htm

Does anyone know of a non-citizen claiming SS benefits in their own country? Just looking for confirmation.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2004
Compare
sbabunle is on a distinguished road

Dont fret it dixie.. SS will be bankrupt by the time we retire
If somebody is here for 5 years and not going back solely because
of SSN is not worth in my opinion. But if one is here for 8+ years
it might be good working 2 more years and crossing the 10 year mark.
( And pray and pray that SS will not go bankrupt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie

Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Lets not question the existence of SS by the time that we retire. As it stands today, I understand from the postings that we would be able to claim our SS at the time we retire if we work 10 years in US. Correct?; Well I did not know that.

How about your 401K contribution? How does that work?

One important question to think of? - If you go back to your home country, for a person who has spent 5 years in US, what is the job title and the salary that he/she could expect back in his/her home country? How does the saving potential in his/her home country match up with his/her saving potential in US?
Entreprenuerial opportunities? Is US still an attractive place or your home country has more opportunities today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabunle
Dont fret it dixie.. SS will be bankrupt by the time we retire
If somebody is here for 5 years and not going back solely because
of SSN is not worth in my opinion. But if one is here for 8+ years
it might be good working 2 more years and crossing the 10 year mark.
( And pray and pray that SS will not go bankrupt)

Last edited by wellwishergc; 01-15-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/29/2008
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/29/2008
Compare
mzafar125 is on a distinguished road
Red face Qulaity of life

One of the main reason for staying behind is the quality of life we enjoy in the US. The IT, business, and engineering jobs we are doing here are some of the highest paying in the world. That is if you are not being exploited by the desi IT firms.

Qulaity of life also includes the clean environment, access to medical facilites, some of the best schools/universities in the world. In other parts of the world you are always concerned about the security situation. I remember going to bed at night and being worried about people breaking into our house. We enjoy relative peace and stability in this country.

You can come to the US and one day be an American. You cannot do this in france and/or england. You will always be looked as an outsider. They are very racist socities and you will never be given the opportunity. In france they put all the immigrants in projects and then complain that they are worthless.

I agree that the current situation is bad but we have to lobby and get our point across. This governemnet will NOT make any changes unless it affects them and since we are all non voters this is not going to make any difference. Only companies that have influence on Caitol hill can make a difference. Until then we can just wait and hope for the best.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
shrayus is on a distinguished road
Default Cheer up guys, let us work with IV to make it happen !!!

Hi Friends,

Working conditions are always somewhat hostile no matter which country you are working. I was working in India in a pretty good company but I was experiencing red tapism, nepotism and all the standard problems of a job culture of India. Here in America, we have only one "Seemingly very horrible" problem of immigration problem. But the good part is, it is common to a lot of people ! So why not to fight for it through a common plateform like this one !

I think that is also one rational solution among others.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Shreyas,

I agree with you that we support IV in its efforts. However, by this thread, I am trying to weigh the pros and cons for the immigrant community and bring about points which many may not know of.

For eg: I did not know that I could claim SS when I retire, if I spend 10 years working in US. I am sure this is important piece of information for many, though it may not be a critical 'con' for someone deciding to go back to his/her home country.

This thread is just to put together some objective points, so as to collect information for our friends from our home country who would like to immigrate to US. The objective is to provide information based on realistic facts.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrayus
Hi Friends,

Working conditions are always somewhat hostile no matter which country you are working. I was working in India in a pretty good company but I was experiencing red tapism, nepotism and all the standard problems of a job culture of India. Here in America, we have only one "Seemingly very horrible" problem of immigration problem. But the good part is, it is common to a lot of people ! So why not to fight for it through a common plateform like this one !

I think that is also one rational solution among others.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RNANDIGAM1 is on a distinguished road
Default Ss Benefits

What are SS benefits?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
canleo98 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNANDIGAM1
What are SS benefits?
Social Security benefits.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default SS Benefits

Not eligible unless you are a PR/Citizen, right?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

That is not what I gather from the postings here. Please read them again. Not sure if it is a valid fact, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNANDIGAM1
Not eligible unless you are a PR/Citizen, right?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwishergc
That is not what I gather from the postings here. Please read them again. Not sure if it is a valid fact, though.
I am skeptical about eigibility for SS Benefits if one is not a Permanent Resident or a US Citizen.