Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Soltan will become famous soon enough Soltan will become famous soon enough
Question Complex situation - Apply for I-485 and change employers in less than 180 days.

I am applying for my I-485 with my current employer but within a matter of weeks I have to switch jobs to a new employer (on H1b visa). The reason for switching is a very probable impending lay off (its pretty evident as other employees are getting laid off).

Now my questions are
1) Given that my current employer does not cancel my I-140 application - what are chances of this I-485 being approved?

2) Also, is it advisable to start Green card process (perm, I140..) with my new employer given the iffy situation of the current I-485? If so, down the line is it ok to apply for another I-485 using the I1-40 from my future employer.

I am hoping someone will shed some light on my situation. I have not had much success in understanding this even after reading several threads.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My take

Pls. consult a good attorney, but here is my thought.

If you employer doesn't cancel I140, then you are safe to file I-485 while you are working with an intent to work for that employer. Even after you get a GC, if things change materially, then you are fine to take a different employment.

If your employer cancels I140, the whole thing falls apart. You need a new PERM and I140. Then you can retain your old PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltan View Post
I am applying for my I-485 with my current employer but within a matter of weeks I have to switch jobs to a new employer (on H1b visa). The reason for switching is a very probable impending lay off (its pretty evident as other employees are getting laid off).

Now my questions are
1) Given that my current employer does not cancel my I-140 application - what are chances of this I-485 being approved?

2) Also, is it advisable to start Green card process (perm, I140..) with my new employer given the iffy situation of the current I-485? If so, down the line is it ok to apply for another I-485 using the I1-40 from my future employer.

I am hoping someone will shed some light on my situation. I have not had much success in understanding this even after reading several threads.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Soltan will become famous soon enough Soltan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkris77 View Post
Pls. consult a good attorney, but here is my thought.

If you employer doesn't cancel I140, then you are safe to file I-485 while you are working with an intent to work for that employer. Even after you get a GC, if things change materially, then you are fine to take a different employment.

If your employer cancels I140, the whole thing falls apart. You need a new PERM and I140. Then you can retain your old PD.
Thanks vbkris77. I am pretty confident that my employer will not cancel my I-140. In this situation is it a wise decision to apply for I-485? I mean, is it going to cause issues down the line with USCIS coming back and saying you did not stay with your employer for 180 days. I am in a lot of confusion around this 180 days rule.

Or is it just better to forget about applying 485 now, get my new employer after I join to go through perm and I140 and then I apply for 485.

Please advice!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute
Default update your profile

Quote:
Thanks vbkris77. I am pretty confident that my employer will not cancel my I-140. In this situation is it a wise decision to apply for I-485? I mean, is it going to cause issues down the line with USCIS coming back and saying you did not stay with your employer for 180 days. I am in a lot of confusion around this 180 days rule.

Or is it just better to forget about applying 485 now, get my new employer after I join to go through perm and I140 and then I apply for 485.

Please advice!
Please update your profile with the relevant details.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivarz is a jewel in the rough ivarz is a jewel in the rough ivarz is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Please advice!
Hi Soltan, Did you find anything on this? I researched a bit on the 180 day rule. I think it is ok if you are past 180 days but it is a grey area for everyone before that. I will try to speak to company attorney next week about this. Meanwhile, please post whatever u find.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute GC_1000Watt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Now my questions are

Have you found any views on this issue? In my consultation with an attorney this is very much possible, but USCIS will definitely look into your case with a lot more attention.
They will suspect about your intentions and will probably send an RFE too.
The drawback in this case as I was told that in case if USCIS denies 485 and subsequently revokes I-140 then you will pretty much lose your old PD. And USCIS can do anything and all to make our lives miserable.
Please consult with an experienced attorney.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute
Default No guarantees that employer won't withdraw I-140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_1000Watt View Post
Have you found any views on this issue? In my consultation with an attorney this is very much possible, but USCIS will definitely look into your case with a lot more attention.
They will suspect about your intentions and will probably send an RFE too.
The drawback in this case as I was told that in case if USCIS denies 485 and subsequently revokes I-140 then you will pretty much lose your old PD. And USCIS can do anything and all to make our lives miserable.
Please consult with an experienced attorney.
There is no guarantee that the employer does not withdraw I-140 as one of my friends company got acquired and the succesor company put a condition that they don't want to deals with visas and immigration so the acquired company had to layoff visa holders and who are in the immigration process as bottom line CEO and the the executives don't care the genuine conerns of few when their pay check is at risk.

if the company is in the process of laying off ppl in the team i don't think they will support your 485 as well as the company need to pay to the law firm

Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Flux36 is infamous around these parts Flux36 is infamous around these parts

That was so great! Thanks for you article.