Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cric4life is infamous around these parts cric4life is infamous around these parts cric4life is infamous around these parts
Default Leave of Absence or Quit?

My Current Status:

Working since August 2004
Visa Status: H1-B expiring on October 25, 2010 (Submited for renewal 6/17/2010)

Green Card Status:
Labor - approved for EB3 (priority date: 8/24/2006)
I-140 approved
I-485 pending
Advance Parole - expires in August 2010 (submitted for renewal on 4/30/2010)
EAD - expires 8/10/10 (submitted for 2 year renewal on 4/30/2010)

What happens to the following process if I go on Leave of Absence?

1. Pending AP
2. Pending EAD
3. Pending H-1B extension
4. Pending Green Card process

What happens to the following process if I Quit my job?

1. Pending AP
2. Pending EAD
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cric4life is infamous around these parts cric4life is infamous around these parts cric4life is infamous around these parts
Default CAn anyone help me out on the below question please?

CAn anyone help me out on the below question please?

I am planning to leave my job and go to India for 6 months.....what happens to the following if I quit my job?

1. Pending AP
2. Pending EAD

Old 06-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/05/2003
Chargeability
:
Austria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am no lawyer but...

unless you are planning on coming back before your AP expires, how do plan on getting the new approved one? because without it how are you gettign back into the US???

if your EAD and AP were filed in April you should see the renewed papers soon, if I were you I would wait for them and go once you have them.

Your H1B is toast if you quit and not transfer it to another company, but you still have EAD so thats not too much of a problem.
However you do need a future employment for the Greencard and EAD to be valid and the RFE to provide the future employment letter will typically come if you quit and the company pulls the I 140. So make sure that is all taken care of before you go anywhere.

With regard to 6 months leaving...I have no idea what the time spans are that are acceptable. So sorry as I said I am no lawyer, this is just my experience and what I have seen.

I hope this helps a bit

Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default thanks!!

Thank u very much for the help.

I am expecting to get my approved AP for 1 year soon. In case if I have to leave the country before the AP shows up, than I'll have my lawyer ship it to India.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm not an Attorney, but here is my take...

Your pending I-485 will be in trouble... if your H1B extension is denied, and if you are not in US to respond to a potential RFE to prove that you have a job or a GC sponsoring employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cric4life View Post
What happens to the following process if I go on Leave of Absence?
Your pending I-485 will be in trouble... if your current employer cancel your H1B, and if you are not in US to respond to a potential RFE to prove that you have a job or a GC sponsoring employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cric4life View Post
What happens to the following process if I Quit my job?
Sorry, in either case I foresee a problem.

"Decorum does one dignity, more than life guard its purity."

- Holy Thirukkural

Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default What is the best option?

Hi,

thanks for your response.

Option 1: Go back to India without a H1-B extension Stamp and no job: My employer doesn't proactively revoke H-1B or any other applications. In that case, I am assuming my H1-B will go through even though I don't have a job (assuming no RFE is issued). Is this right?

Option 2: Go back to India with a H1-B stamp but no job: The other option for me is to do the premium process of H-1B and get my H-1B stamped in Canada before Quitting my job, so USCIS doesn't get to know about it.

thanks,
sharvil

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/05/2003
Chargeability
:
Austria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute xela has a reputation beyond repute
Default neither really

you H1B is only good as long as you work or are employed once you are not employed your H1B is basically cancelled and you are trying to come back to US illegally if you are using H1B stamp.
With EAD/AP you are still ok as long as you can show that you have future employment if and when they issue RFE. And do not simply hope you wont get the RFE most of us did get one even though we did not switch or leave our job.

At least that is my understanding.

Last edited by xela; 06-30-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: forgot she has ead/ap