Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

View Poll Results: I will ride the magical bus to DC
I will ride from MA 13 30.23%
I will ride from NH 3 6.98%
I will ride from VT 0 0%
I will ride from RI 1 2.33%
I will ride from CT 10 23.26%
I will ride from ME 2 4.65%
Dude I will fly a broomstick (or jog, take a train, drive) 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
deardar has a spectacular aura about deardar has a spectacular aura about

Please contact us in case you need further information.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

bump!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light
Question Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by deardar View Post
Hi,

These are different travel/commute options to get to the Rally spot (Washington Monument) from each of the DC Metro Airports. The fare and travel times indicated are approximates. Please refer to the appropriate site for exact details. WMATA has a trip planner that gives you a good idea of how to reach Wash Monument.
Fro those who have any questions or doubt - feel free to ping me.

Arriving in Dulles Airport (IAD):
Option 1:
Leg 1: Take the Washington Flyer bus to Falls Church Metro
Destination: West Falls Church Metro (Orange Line)
Fare: $9.00 OWY or $16.00 Round Trip
Approx Time: 25 Minutes
Schedule: http://www.washfly.com/metro.htm
Note: Washington Flyer has luggage stowing capabilities.

Leg 2: From Falls Church Metro, take Orange Line Metro toward New Carrolton
Destination: McPherson or Federal Triangle
Fare:$1.85
Approx Time: 25 Minutes

Final Destination: Washington Monument is few blocks from McPherson or Federal Triangle Metro stops. Ask anyone for directions and they will point it to you.

Option 2:
Washington Flyer Cab
Destination: Washington Monument
Fare: ~$60.00
Travel Time: ~40 Minutes

Final Destination: Wash Monument

Option 3:
WMATA Bus route # 5A to L’enfant Plaza
Destination: L’enfant Plaza
Fare: $3.00
Travel Time: ~50 Minutes

Final Destination: Washington Monument is a couple of blocks from L’enfant Plaza stop. Ask anyone for directions and they will point it to you.

If you don’t want to walk - optionally you can take a cab from the Metro stop. See my note at the end of this post.

Arriving at Washington National Airport (DCA):
Option 1:
WMATA Metro – Yellow Line towards Ft Totten
Destination: L’enfant Plaza
Fare: $1.45
Travel Time: ~11 minutes

Final Destination: Washington Monument is a couple of blocks from L’enfant Plaza stop. Ask anyone for directions and they will point it to you.

Note: If you don’t want to walk - optionally you can take the Orange or Blue Line metro from L’enfant Plaza to get down at Federal Triangle.

Option 2: WMATA Metro – Blue Line towards Largo Town Center
Destination: McPherson or Federal Triangle
Travel Time: ~16 minutes

Final Destination: Washington Monument is a couple of blocks from McPherson or Federal Triangle stop. Ask anyone for directions and they will point it to you.

Option 3:
Any Cab at the Airport (Red Top, Yellow Top, Capital City Cab etc)
Destination: Washington Monument
Fare: ~$15.00
Travel Time: ~15 Minutes

Final Destination: Wash Monument

Arriving at Baltimore Airport (BWI)
Option 1:
Leg 1: Amtrak Train towards Washington DC. (BWI Shuttle Service takes you to the Amtrak Station from Airport)
Destination: Washington Union Station
Fare: ~$16 – $38 (depending on the train , Acela Express or Regional Service trains)
Travel Time: ~30 Minutes

Leg 2: From Washington Union, take Red Line towards Shady Grove
Destination: Metro Center
Travel Time: ~10 Minutes

Final Destination: Washington Monument is a couple of blocks from Metro Center stop. Ask anyone for directions and they will point it to you.

Option 2:
Leg 1: Take BWI Express B30 to Green Belt Metro Station
Destination: Green Belt Metro Station
Fare: $3.00
Travel Time:~35 minutes
http://www.bwiairport.com/ground_tra...on_dc__wmata_/

Leg 2: Take Green Line Metro towards Branch Avenue
Destination: Archives Navy Memorial or L’enfant Plaza
Fare: ~2:00
Travel Time: ~20 minutes

Final Destination: Washington Monument is a couple of blocks from Archives Navy Memorial or L’enfant Plaza stop. Ask anyone for directions and they will point it to you.

Note: The distance between the closest Metro stop (Federal Triangle) and Washington Monument is atleast 10 minute walk. Some of the Metro stops indicated here may be little farther too. You may want to use your judgement and situation to see if you want to walk or take a cab. If you decide to take a cab from the Metro to Washington Monument, then the cab fare is standard $6.50.

Courtasy-Cut and paste from another IV tread.
I'm planning on flying in early in the morning on the 18th. Can't take the bus on the 17th due to constraints. Looking at the information above, It looks like I need to arrive at Reagan(DCA) or Dulles(IAD) to be there in time. Does anyone have a suggestion on which airport would be more convenient in terms of travel and getting to the starting point?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
yoda will become famous soon enough

Raydon,

Welcome to IV and thank you for taking part in this historic occasion. Based on the time of arrival of your flight, your best bet would be DCA as its closer (around 11 minutes) as given above from the starting point. The airport has a Metro Stop.

Please join the State Chapter on Yahoo Groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MA_Immigration_Voice/ so you are updated about the plans.

Last edited by yoda; 09-08-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Going to DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Raydon,

Welcome to IV and taking part in this historic occasion. Based on the time of arrival of your flight, your best bet would be DCA as its closer (around 11 minutes) as given below from the starting point. The airport has a Metro Stop.

Please join the State Chapter on Yahoo Groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MA_Immigration_Voice/ so you are updated about the plans.
I've already joined the MA chapter. Just booked my ticket to Reagan (DCA) for Sep 18th. Will meet you folks in DC then

Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/08/2007
Compare
seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydon View Post
I've already joined the MA chapter. Just booked my ticket to Reagan (DCA) for Sep 18th. Will meet you folks in DC then
Awesome, I am glad that more and more members are able to make it. We need to convince more and more! Will keep posting and reminding people.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydon View Post
Raydon,
First of all thanks for booking the ticket.
Now you are all set, so i dont need to find a carpool for you.

Guys one more from MA.

GO MA GO.
GO IV GO.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

bump

Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Compare
srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up NH guys wake up car pool option is there to the BUS

All th NH guys, do let us know where you are coming from, so that we can plan a car pool option if you are on the way.

Iam taking off on 17th, so i can even travel off the main route to accomodate other members to take you to the BUS.

I will be starting from Nashua Exit 8 of RT 3.

Do join the NH state chapter and update us on your intent of joining the rally.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NH_Immigration_Voice/

--sri

Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikondoji View Post
All th NH guys, do let us know where you are coming from, so that we can plan a car pool option if you are on the way.

Iam taking off on 17th, so i can even travel off the main route to accomodate other members to take you to the BUS.

I will be starting from Nashua Exit 8 of RT 3.

Do join the NH state chapter and update us on your intent of joining the rally.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NH_Immigration_Voice/

--sri
I was thinking of joining Sri but I can drive you folks down if need be in my car. I will start from Manchester, NH and drive down I-93 to Woburn to catch THE BUS. Folks interested in joining us from the North (Concord NH, or Burlington VT): Parking will not be an issue as you can find plenty of parking in my apt. complex. The entire Merrimack Valley (Nashua, Manchester, Merrimack, Bedford and Concord areas of NH) has a very large immigrant community and we are surprised seeing the few number of people coming forward and taking part in this historic march.

Come on, folks now is the time! The bus has been arranged, car pools being organized to take you to the bus and back; what is stopping you from coming forward? All you have to do is reply to this thread and we will get in touch with you with the necessary details. Please don't let go of this wonderful opportunity that is being provided to you. Remember, your participation is important, don't remain in the sidelines. Would you rather wait for years together or do something about it NOW? And who is going to be benefited by taking an action NOW? It is going to be you and your family!

Last edited by yoda; 09-10-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare

For all of you people, still sitting on the sidelines and WAITING FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN ON ITS OWN...
Taking inspiration from vandanaverdia's writeup from the WA/OR State Chapter:

Dear NH IV Members and others from the New England area:

I am sure many of you not attending the rally fall in either of this categories as we have only 2 people representing NH attending the DC Rally( as of today )and few people from other states even though they have a very large immigrant population:

a. Family reasons
b. Economic reasons
c. Work reasons
d. Ignorance - I don't care.

I honestly would love for those who fall under category D to look back and do some simple math:

I am sure most of you earn between $25 to $35 /hour, aka. An average of $30/hour (pre-tax). There are 176 paid work hours a month. Which puts you in the range ~ $60,000/yr (pre-tax).

Those of you waiting for a GC, have some sort of an agreement with your employer (verbal/written). Let's assume that your employer with some calculation makes adjustments to your pay, reasoning that they need to bear the expenses for lawyer fees, application fees etc.

That's approximately $2500 for a 3 yr H1B work visa. The employer obviously marks up this cost as a result your pay decreases to $55,000.

Lets ballpark ~$10,000 towards the following:

a. Attorney fees
b. Job Advertisement
c. PERM
d. 140
e. 485
f. Number of Hours spent by you to the make the above steps happen.

THE ABOVE ARE VERY CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATES.

Imagine what a GC would do to your paycheck! Your $55,000, with just a GC, would put you on par with everyone else for jobs in your field of expertise. Your pay scale has the potential to jump to $80,000/year (Conservative estimates).

Thats an increase of 45%.

The total cost you have so far spent in staying legal in order to work in a highly skilled job while waiting for your GC is:

$5,000 (6 yr H1B)+ $10,000 (I-485 pending) = $15,000

Assuming that the total cost of your trip to Washington DC would be in the range of $200-$300 (volunteering to fund your bus ride cost + contributing to the IV corpus fund). This represents ~3% of the total cost you have spent waiting for your GC.

Assuming that by attending the DC rally, the lawmakers take notice and a special legislation is passed to expedite GC applications and provide sweeping temporary status to those waiting for 485 adjustment of status which would give you the same privileges as a GC would give,

YOUR INVESTMENT OF 3% JUST GOT YOU A 45% INCREASE IN YOUR ANNUAL SALARY.

If that is not a reason for you to stand up now and help yourself to that return on your investment, either you are a bad investor, or related to the likes of Gates, Bezos and Buffet families.

YOUR ARE NOT WASTING YOUR TIME IN ATTENDING THIS RALLY. YOU ARE HELPING YOURSELF TO A BETTER LIFE. I CAN'T MAKE DECISIONS FOR YOU. I CAN ONLY HELP YOU UNDERSTAND THE POTENTIAL. YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS FOR YOUR OWN LIFE.

The cost of attending this rally say 200-300 whatever but the Rally has the potential of eradicating the disease of Retrogression - IF WE ALL CAN SHOW STRENGTH IN NUMBERS. EAD+AP cost for 1 year is $644... For 6 yrs of wait you will be spending 3500-3600 or even more if the rates change in a retrogressed world PLUS other disadvantages/hassles that we already know.

Remember IV is just a platform with some LOGICAL and PRACTICAL agenda before Congress - if we do not stand up and show our heads NO ONE IS GOING TO LISTEN TO AGENDAS.
Come on folks - its our chance to save some hardearned money over the next few years by investing in the rally.

Lets all stand up at DC and show them numbers.

Please consider helping people who want to come but the expenses are prohibitive due to some pressing situation.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes Indeed!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Please feel free to contact us for Bus details!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute
Default i sent an email to the group

dearder man,

I need the exact location of the bus start point - is that Anderson station ?

Please also share us a contact phone no - may be yours/Dilip's so that we can get in touch in case we are on the way and stuck in traffic.

Thanks,
Diptam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deardar View Post
Please feel free to contact us for Bus details!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes, the starting point 99% is Woburn- Anderson -commuter rail station. Akhil Mahajan will confirm it .

I will IM you the phone numbers.

Closed Thread