Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
USDream2Dust will become famous soon enough
Angry Company Closing in about a month

Hi Folks,

I am July/August 2007 485 filer with EB2 India PD of 09/2006.

I got my EAD/Ap last year and have already used AP to enter country. Currently I am on H1b with same employer who filed for my GC.

Chances are that they are not going to survive this economy. My EAD is expired and I am going to start the renewal process ASAP.

Questions.

I have read a lot about AC21 in this forums and I am going to use that. But my real question is what will happen to my GC if my company dissolves?

No they are not going to inform INS or revoke any thing.

My 140 is approved.

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are in an ideal situation to use AC 21. Most of the problems with AC 21 were becuase of the previous employer requesting USCIS to revoke the already approved I-140. As long as you can get a new job soon enough I dont think you need worry much about your GC.

"Please let me know what to do. "
Job and a new attorney search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDream2Dust View Post
Hi Folks,

I got my EAD/Ap last year and have already used AP to enter country. Currently I am on H1b with same employer who filed for my GC.

Chances are that they are not going to survive this economy. My EAD is expired and I am going to start the renewal process ASAP.

Questions.

I have read a lot about AC21 in this forums and I am going to use that. But my real question is what will happen to my GC if my company dissolves?

My 140 is approved.

Thanks,

Old 12-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks

Like I said. My EAD expired and I just started process of renewing it and it may take about 3 months to get it from experience reading here.

So I would be out of job for 1-2 months and then if lucky on EAD.

Also my company lawyer happens to be my friend and he would help me carry on my process.

But seriously if the company who filed for my GC doesn't exist when it is going to be approved (I assume in another 1-5 years with my PD in 06). Won't that matter?

Won't I be deported for using EAD? I have solid 485 application and chances of it being denied otherwise are slim. But the fact that corporation who filed doesnt exist now is big in my view.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of
Cool

Ask if the company will exist on paper, rather than shutting down( i hope it is a IT consulting firm...then they can do what I propose).....negotiate a % deal (75-25 or 80-20 is ideal) with them and then he does not need to shut the company or pay you when u have no project.....advantage of this approach is:

1) Your h1 can stay.....say that u will pay for all GC and h1 expense....all risk is on you and no risk on employer....
2) You do not need to depend on EAD
3) Your GC will keep going without any problems...once you get GC...you can move on...
Did not apply for EAD and AP
GREENED Aug 12, 2010

************************************************** ******************************
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Can't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGC View Post
Ask if the company will exist on paper, rather than shutting down( i hope it is a IT consulting firm...then they can do what I propose).....negotiate a % deal (75-25 or 80-20 is ideal) with them and then he does not need to shut the company or pay you when u have no project.....advantage of this approach is:

1) Your h1 can stay.....say that u will pay for all GC and h1 expense....all risk is on you and no risk on employer....
2) You do not need to depend on EAD
3) Your GC will keep going without any problems...once you get GC...you can move on...
Sorry but I fail to understand your proposition. I am a directly hired with this firm and they don't do consultation.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of rajenk has much to be proud of

USDream2Dust,

You should get a job ASAP and transfer your H1B to the new employer. If they are not willing to do that, I would negotiate in taking a cut on the offer in order for them to sponsor you H1B. That is the safest approach you can take given such a high risk of your current company closing once and for ever.

DON'T WAIT ON EAD RENEWAL THAT COULD SOME TIME TAKE MORE THAN 90 DAYS....

Good luck. Cheer up and you can do it. If you are in IT field there are still a lot of opportunities. PM me if you want to discuss more.

Raj

Old 12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

There's an IT position open in our company, PM me if you're looking for a job.

No, I am not with a consulting company!

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Questions.

My 140 is approved.

Thanks,

Old 12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge_hammer View Post
There's an IT position open in our company, PM me if you're looking for a job.

No, I am not with a consulting company!
Thanks guys for your great support.

Sledge_hammer just PMed you.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I got my EAD/Ap last year and have already used AP to enter country. Currently I am on H1b
You are not on H1b. Using AP will invalidate H1b status. Did you contact attorney before using the AP while being on h1b..??? You now have no choice than to use EAD , ie AC21.

We have two futures; future of desire and future of faith. Man has not learnt to reconcile both.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks Tabletpc

I don't want to go in that discussion for now as I know you can use AP and still be on H1b. Read lot of places and talked to my attorney. Right now I won't even care of that.

But thanks for your help anyway.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletpc View Post
You are not on H1b. Using AP will invalidate H1b status. Did you contact attorney before using the AP while being on h1b..??? You now have no choice than to use EAD , ie AC21.

Hi,

I spoke to 3 different big attorney firms. All 3 said that using AP DOES NOT invalidate H1.

One can come on AP and work on H1 if you continue to work for the same H1 sponsoring company.

Also you ned no do anyhting to extend the I94 when u come on AP.

I know couple of folks who have extended H1 after using AP (extended due to expiry of petition date).

Thanks

Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think the existance of the company who filed your GC matters after you have used the AC 21 portability to a new company. Do you have any basis for your worries?

Quote:
But seriously if the company who filed for my GC doesn't exist when it is going to be approved (I assume in another 1-5 years with my PD in 06). Won't that matter?

Won't I be deported for using EAD? I have solid 485 application and chances of it being denied otherwise are slim. But the fact that corporation who filed doesnt exist now is big in my view.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
I do not think the existance of the company who filed your GC matters after you have used the AC 21 portability to a new company. Do you have any basis for your worries?
Nope. I donot completely understand AC21 and I have read on and on and lot of people and even USCIS is confused for it.

That is the only basis of worry. Like I said I got a solid 485 application and our 140 is also approved. If existence of company doesnt matter after AC21 I am going to jump on to it.

I am done with H1b stuff anyway and it would be lot easier in this economy to find a job with EAD rather than begging for H1b.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
laksmi is on a distinguished road

Such situations better to invoke AC21 to a know company your GC and still continue to work on H1B by transfer H1B to another company who ready to give you a job.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all

Yes, people are confused on the AC 21 scenario - but from what I have read everywhere, if your I-140 is approved you don't really need the sponsoring company to be in existence.

And considering your PD, you are good for 4-5 years with the way things are going right now. Worry about it when your PD becomes current - don't think too much into it.

Use EAD and AC 21 to find a new job.

Quote:
Nope. I donot completely understand AC21 and I have read on and on and lot of people and even USCIS is confused for it.

That is the only basis of worry. Like I said I got a solid 485 application and our 140 is also approved. If existence of company doesnt matter after AC21 I am going to jump on to it.

I am done with H1b stuff anyway and it would be lot easier in this economy to find a job with EAD rather than begging for H1b.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.