Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation
Click to log in with Facebook
Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation Gap in employment(paystubs) and the resulting problems during status transfer and green card filing.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough
Default Status Help

Guys, I think this forum would be appropriate to ask this question....

What status a person is on once he/she has the EAD? The reason I ask this is once a person gets the EAD he/she is no longer on H1 or H4 status.

My wife is trying to get instate tuition because now she is on EAD which I thought was similar to a GC if not exactly same and she should qualify for instate tuition, isn't it?

Thank you in advance for all the help.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
ronnie0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by parvezmusani View Post

What status a person is on once he/she has the EAD? The reason I ask this is once a person gets the EAD he/she is no longer on H1 or H4 status.

My wife is trying to get instate tuition because now she is on EAD which I thought was similar to a GC if not exactly same and she should qualify for instate tuition, isn't it?

EAD is Employment Authorization Document and so it only autorises you for work and does not give you the rights of a green card holder. Even after you get your EAD you are still on H1 or H4 till the time you use your EAD for getting a job.

I dont have much idea about what are the requirenments for an instate tution but certainly EAD is in no way similar to GC.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/22/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
gdhiren will become famous soon enough gdhiren will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Check with the school, generally if you are living in the state for more than one year, you should get in-state tution rate even on H1B.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough parvezmusani is a jewel in the rough
Default Thanks

Thank you guys for the prompt responses... We already checked on the option of instate on H4 after a year they said you have to be a permanent resident + 1 year old in the state to qualify for in-state...

Can somebody still answer the question of status on EAD? Her H4 status is going because she is planning to start working... so now if H4 is gone what is the status on EAD?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2008
Compare
dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts dog123 is infamous around these parts
Default State ?

Which state are you talking about ?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
ronnie0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Thank you guys for the prompt responses... We already checked on the option of instate on H4 after a year they said you have to be a permanent resident + 1 year old in the state to qualify for in-state...

Can somebody still answer the question of status on EAD? Her H4 status is going because she is planning to start working... so now if H4 is gone what is the status on EAD?
When she starts working on EAD , her status will be in process of getting a green card. Its not the same as green card as its just a temperory status.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute

I am also trying to get my sons in-state tuition in Arizona now that they have EAD and are in AOS-pending. We will have to submit an application in November and will know the decision for the Spring semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog123 View Post
Which state are you talking about ?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
parijatham is on a distinguished road
Default Current status F1, OPT not applied...

On the same note...I graduate in Dec 07 but have not applied for OPT since I will have the EAD by then...(we applied in the recent concurrent filing - Sug 12th). I understand I can start working on EAD in Jan 08, but what will my visa status be??? I read in one of the prev. threads that an EAD is just permit to work and is not equal to a GC...am confused...
Please help!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2006
Chargeability
:
Malawi
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Compare
Mount Soche will become famous soon enough Mount Soche will become famous soon enough
Default In State Tuition

FYI,

the community college where I live in CT says that one can receive in state tuition as a permanent resident or if you can show that you have applied for residency by getting a letter from your attorney who's filing for your residency or sending them receipts and any proof that you have applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie0479 View Post
When she starts working on EAD , her status will be in process of getting a green card. Its not the same as green card as its just a temperory status.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Default Summarize

Thanks all for the prompt repsonses.

I am talking about Georgia State.

So just to summarize, status is pending AOS or applied for residency... and there is a chance to qualify for instate tuition as long as one can prove that he/she has applied for the residency.

Thanks again all.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
indio0617 has a spectacular aura about indio0617 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks all for the prompt repsonses.

I am talking about Georgia State.

So just to summarize, status is pending AOS or applied for residency... and there is a chance to qualify for instate tuition as long as one can prove that he/she has applied for the residency.

Thanks again all.

Every State has different rules for in-state tuition eligibility. In some states like Texas proof of residence for 1 year on H status is sufficient. In others proof of AOS (485 receipt) will suffice.