Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
suave100 can only hope to improve
Default Self employed on EAD

I am currently on H1 with ABC Inc. I also have an EAD but not used it yet. I plan to leave ABC Inc. end of this month and exercise my EAD going forward.

I also own a corporation XYZ Inc. I plan to be employed with XYZ Inc. on full-time W2 basis from next month onwards. As of now, I am the sole employee.

1. To the best of my knowledge, this is perfectly legal but please confirm.

2. I understand a person on EAD needs to complete Form I-9. I also understand a self-employed person does not need to complete a Form I-9 on his or her own behalf unless the person is an employee of a business entity, such as a corporation. That being said, I need to complete Form I-9, both the employee and employer section.

3. Alternatively, I can have XYZ Inc. pay me on 1099 basis (in case of which I don't need to complete Form I-9) but my CPA advises that I am better off being employed on W2. What are your thoughts?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold kumar1305 is a splendid one to behold
Default Read

Did you read the latest memo from USCIS? I do not want to scare you, but make sure that you are out of trouble.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default USCIS Newsletter

You mean the USCIS Newsletter? Regardless, I have not read it. Does it say anything specific to my situation? Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Office of Elaine Martin
6333 E. Mockingbird Ln Ste 147-910
Dallas, Texas-75214
http://www.martinvisalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
martinvisalaw is on a distinguished road

Based on the recent CIS memo, you are safer using an EAD for self-employment that trying to get a H-1B for this. The memo addressed H-1Bs and proving the employer-employee relationship.
Toll-free phone: 1-866-318-8813
emartin@martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.blogspot.com
Dedicated exclusively to immigration law since 1997

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote  
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I am *** NOT *** trying to get a H1-B. I would like to use my EAD going forward.

The main question is whether I can you use XYZ Inc (the company that I own) for my own employment on EAD basis. And, any preference as to whether "XYZ employs me on W2" or "XYZ pays me on 1099"

I understand that I can be employed (W2) with another company on EAD basis. I also understand that I can work with another company on 1099 basis and this would be termed as self-employment.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Dallas, Texas-75214

Quote:
Originally Posted by suave100 View Post
The main question is whether I can you use XYZ Inc (the company that I own) for my own employment on EAD basis. And, any preference as to whether "XYZ employs me on W2" or "XYZ pays me on 1099"
The relationship that you have with the company should not matter for immigration purposes. You should, however, speak with a business lawyer about the best entity for your purpose.

Remember - even if you are self-employed, you must still meet the AC21 portability requirements for your 485 to continue.
www.martinvisalaw.com

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks so much for confirming that relationship (& payment arrangement for that matter) that I have with the XYZ Inc (the company that I own) should not matter for immigration purposes.

As regards AC21 portability requirements for my 485 to continue, is that mandatory? As mentioned earlier, I am currently employed on H1 but I plan to use EAD going forward with another employer. And, I am thinking that my 485 shall continue with my current employer and that I don't have to port my Green Card to the future employer?

My current employer is more than willing to cooperate with any USCIS (future employment related) inquiry, down the road.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Dallas, Texas-75214

Please don't take anything that I say here as formal legal advice. You really need to consult an immigration lawyer for an opinion before making any drastic moves that might jeopardize your status and/or permanent residence.
www.martinvisalaw.com

Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcpower1 is infamous around these parts gcpower1 is infamous around these parts gcpower1 is infamous around these parts gcpower1 is infamous around these parts gcpower1 is infamous around these parts gcpower1 is infamous around these parts

I-140 approved and 485 pending for more then 180 days... you are free... if you are EB3 India forget about anything else just renew EAD and enjoy life.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
TheHumanist can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvisalaw View Post
The relationship that you have with the company should not matter for immigration purposes. You should, however, speak with a business lawyer about the best entity for your purpose.

Remember - even if you are self-employed, you must still meet the AC21 portability requirements for your 485 to continue.
I have just read through the exchange and I am really glad that I did so. Here is a little variation - Quation as someone close to my family recently scared me and told me that by working on 1099, on my EAD I have immediately put myself out of status. Last year, after being 18 months on EAD when my then H1b sponsor could not find me my next project, I jumped to an opportunity and took up contract assignment (doing same or similar work). I arranged all billiing through my wife's LLC (originally on H4 - but we opened her company once she was on EAD). She had issued me 1099 for 2009 and also has reported her quarterly returns with my contract income as main Inflow. Have we done anything wrong? Please advice. I will be grateful for any input.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

You can be self-employed on EAD although my lawyer suggested that my company (I own) should employ me on W2 and not on 1099. So, I have a client paying my corporation for my services and then I have my corporation pay me a salary on W2.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sajidmd is just really nice sajidmd is just really nice sajidmd is just really nice sajidmd is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumanist View Post
I have just read through the exchange and I am really glad that I did so. Here is a little variation - Quation as someone close to my family recently scared me and told me that by working on 1099, on my EAD I have immediately put myself out of status. Last year, after being 18 months on EAD when my then H1b sponsor could not find me my next project, I jumped to an opportunity and took up contract assignment (doing same or similar work). I arranged all billiing through my wife's LLC (originally on H4 - but we opened her company once she was on EAD). She had issued me 1099 for 2009 and also has reported her quarterly returns with my contract income as main Inflow. Have we done anything wrong? Please advice. I will be grateful for any input.
Thanks for sharing. How is your wifes organisation (I guess LLC), is considered for Tax purposes? Is it considered as "Single Member LLC" OR "Corporation" ?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
SpookyH1Alien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suave100 View Post
Thanks so much for confirming that relationship (& payment arrangement for that matter) that I have with the XYZ Inc (the company that I own) should not matter for immigration purposes.

As regards AC21 portability requirements for my 485 to continue, is that mandatory? As mentioned earlier, I am currently employed on H1 but I plan to use EAD going forward with another employer. And, I am thinking that my 485 shall continue with my current employer and that I don't have to port my Green Card to the future employer?

My current employer is more than willing to cooperate with any USCIS (future employment related) inquiry, down the road.
At some point during your 485 processing, you will be asked what is the Job (Offer) that you currently have and if you do, does it satisfy the AC21 requirements? Only a positive answer will continue your 485 processing in the right direction.

So if you continue to have a job/offer from your previous employer, there are no issues. But with the XYZ Corp (that you incidentally own) being your employer, the job has to be "same or similiar" and satisfy AC 21 requirements.

My 2 cents.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

In response to sajidmd's comments - Its not my wife but I own the company and its a C-corporation. Once I get my Green Card, I shall then change it to S-corp.

In response to SpookyH1Alien's comments - My ex-employer ABC is more than willing to cooperate in terms of having a job offer for me. That said, I am not planning to use AC-21 for now although I understand that I technically can; since my current job with XYZ (that I own) is same or similar to my previous job with ABC.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sajidmd is just really nice sajidmd is just really nice sajidmd is just really nice sajidmd is just really nice

I am sorry... I was referring to situation of TheHumanist ...