Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute

Great!
Fortunately, there are quite a few such responses. It may be a good idea to replicate the responses, wherever DREAM Act is discussed
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dick Durbin's interpretation of dream act

this is from his website: Note that there is no mention of "ilegal" here.

DREAM Act

The Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, is a narrowly-tailored, bipartisan bill that would provide immigration relief to a select group of students who grew up in the United States, who have good moral character, and who are pursuing a college education or have enlisted in the military. In other words: if you came to the United States before the age of 16, if you have lived in this country for at least five years, if you graduate from high school, and then if you will complete either two years of college or two years of service in the military, we will give you an opportunity for legal status in America. The DREAM Act would also return to states the authority to determine whether to grant in-state tuition to state residents regardless of immigration status.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Compare
indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
this is from his website: Note that there is no mention of "ilegal" here.

DREAM Act

The Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, is a narrowly-tailored, bipartisan bill that would provide immigration relief to a select group of students who grew up in the United States, who have good moral character, and who are pursuing a college education or have enlisted in the military. In other words: if you came to the United States before the age of 16, if you have lived in this country for at least five years, if you graduate from high school, and then if you will complete either two years of college or two years of service in the military, we will give you an opportunity for legal status in America. The DREAM Act would also return to states the authority to determine whether to grant in-state tuition to state residents regardless of immigration status.
Yes, cleverly written isn't it? Whoever prepared this intro the act thought carefully about every word so as not to be inflammatory, hoping people would not realize who the 'select group of students' actually are.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/30/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
i-serf is on a distinguished road
Default I would like volunteer to help with writing

I have been actively participating in online activities including sending mails to Representatives, ACLU activities etc, and I would love to help with content and writing.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-serf View Post
I have been actively participating in online activities including sending mails to Representatives, ACLU activities etc, and I would love to help with content and writing.
Superb!
Silly of me to say that, since you have been longer on immigration voice than the recent me.
However, we need to keep appraising everybody about the need to include legal children in the legislation, whenever and wherever we find articles on the DREAM Act and reader responses.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianabacklog View Post
Yes, cleverly written isn't it? Whoever prepared this intro the act thought carefully about every word so as not to be inflammatory, hoping people would not realize who the 'select group of students' actually are.
Look at the actual text of the act to see who the select group of students are:

"SEC. 4. CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL AND ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS OF CERTAIN LONG-TERM RESIDENTS WHO ENTERED THE UNITED STATES AS CHILDREN.

(a) Special Rule for Certain Long-Term Residents Who Entered the United States as Children-

(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--"

Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all rego is a name known to all
Default Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-serf View Post
Great! Please PM me with whatever you can come up with.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego View Post
Look at the actual text of the act to see who the select group of students are:

"SEC. 4. CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL AND ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS OF CERTAIN LONG-TERM RESIDENTS WHO ENTERED THE UNITED STATES AS CHILDREN.

(a) Special Rule for Certain Long-Term Residents Who Entered the United States as Children-

(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--"
Now what does that mean?? They would become what legal kids are now? the only difference being; legal kids age out and ilegal kids never age out.
The problem we face is: This new adjustment of status applications will be considered independent, unlike those of our kids who are linked to the parents application.

to be completely safe an entirely new section has to be added:
the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence; an alien who lawfully entered the US prior to attaining 16 years of age on a dependent visa subject to the conditional basis described in section 5 if the alien demonstrates that bla bla bla......

Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Compare
indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
Now what does that mean?? They would become what legal kids are now? the only difference being; legal kids age out and ilegal kids never age out.
The problem we face is: This new adjustment of status applications will be considered independent, unlike those of our kids who are linked to the parents application.

to be completely safe an entirely new section has to be added:
the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence; an alien who lawfully entered the US prior to attaining 16 years of age on a dependent visa subject to the conditional basis described in section 5 if the alien demonstrates that bla bla bla......

It sounds so simple when you put it like that. You are correct of course since if the act is not clarified it is left open to interpretation and we know how that has helped the current immigration system?

With regard to writing for the new website I honestly would have little time to write from scratch (have two jobs to keep up with tuition costs for my aged out son) but would be happy to edit anything submitted. I assist with scientific writing in my real job so do loads of editing and proof reading. If that would help count me in.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Bump

^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
legal_dream is on a distinguished road
Default just wondering if this thread is still active

Hi,

I recently found this forum and was unaware that Dream Act is only limited to illegal immigrants. I aged out in 2007 and had to finish bachelor's in EE while paying international fees and after graduation i have had to endure this troubling economy. I recently applied to masters so that i can keep my status active and was pinning my hopes on this bill. So can anyone please let me know for certain if i am covered under this dream act.

Thanks and please let me know if you guys will need any help.

Also i heard that dream act/cir were going to become major issues come September.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Compare

Of course it would be more helpful it this thread were continually active but the aging out issue is not high on too many agendas.

I can certainly tell you that the DREAM act deliberatly excludes young people such as yourself and my own son. A number of us continually write to people that can change things asking for some relief for those who aged out. Maybe one of them will listen one day.

In the mean time do not hold your breath for the Labor Day immigration bill that Charles Schumer is working on. So far there is little indication it will have any effect on legal immigration at all.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/politic...article_page=2

You might be interested in this article which appeared recently in an online publication. You will probably be shocked to see the hatred that exists for young people like you who those who broke the law since they think you have it all easy.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default http://www.miller-mccune.com/politic...article_page=2

This article contains interviews from some of the members active in this thread.

It looks like there is a chance that the DREAM act may be brought in Senate next week without amendments. If it passes, it is left to the USCIS to interpret and allow legal kids also to be eligible. There is some info here: Dreamactforlegalkids.org