Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of
Default Entering on AP while unemployed

In mid Dec 2009 my employer had to wind up operations and I was laid off. As part of their winding up they also canceled my H1B. I have an EAD and AP which I plan to use now.

I have an offer for employment in a similar position starting in mid Feb and I plan to use my EAD for that job. In the meantime I was planning to make a 2 week trip to India. Is there any risk in entering the country using my AP when I am not currently employed? Especially as my H1b was withdrawn, can there be any issues at the PoE?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
andy1675 is on a distinguished road
Smile

AP has Nothing to do with your job.. You can enter on AP without any problems.. I just came from India last week using my AP - NO questions asked at Newark, NJ airport..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1675 View Post
AP has Nothing to do with your job.. You can enter on AP without any problems.. I just came from India last week using my AP - NO questions asked at Newark, NJ airport..
Thanks for the reply andy. I was wondering if the immigration history shows up on the IO's screen at the PoE. If it does, I it would be only logical for them to ask some questions. If questioned, I don't know if it is fine to be without an employer or not.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak View Post
Thanks for the reply andy. I was wondering if the immigration history shows up on the IO's screen at the PoE. If it does, I it would be only logical for them to ask some questions. If questioned, I don't know if it is fine to be without an employer or not.
I recently entered US on AP. I no longer work for my GC sponsoring employer. I changed jobs in July 09. I was on H1 with my old/GC sponsoring employer for 8.5 yrs and changed jobs on H1 to my current company. My new employer filed H1 COE and AC21 and my old employer cancelled my H1. At the POE, I told the CBP officer that I am using my AP. He scanned my passport and he was able to see that my old employer cancelled my H1 and he asked if I am returning to work with my new employer (he actually named the company I currently work for, supposedly from my current valid H1). I was sent to secondary inspection and given an I-94 for 1 year without any futher questions.

The fact that your H1 has been revoked could "possibly" raise some flags/questions. Since you already have an offer in hand, to be on the safe side, I would have your new employer file AC21 letter with USCIS and you should carry a copy of the letter and the offer letter. Since GC is for a future job, your start date of Feb won't cause any issues. Hope this helps.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball View Post
I recently entered US on AP. I no longer work for my GC sponsoring employer. I changed jobs in July 09. I was on H1 with my old/GC sponsoring employer for 8.5 yrs and changed jobs on H1 to my current company. My new employer filed H1 COE and AC21 and my old employer cancelled my H1. At the POE, I told the CBP officer that I am using my AP. He scanned my passport and he was able to see that my old employer cancelled my H1 and he asked if I am returning to work with my new employer (he actually named the company I currently work for, supposedly from my current valid H1). I was sent to secondary inspection and given an I-94 for 1 year without any futher questions.

The fact that your H1 has been revoked could "possibly" raise some flags/questions. Since you already have an offer in hand, to be on the safe side, I would have your new employer file AC21 letter with USCIS and you should carry a copy of the letter and the offer letter. Since GC is for a future job, your start date of Feb won't cause any issues. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience roseball. I do not have any urgent issue to handle in India, I was just planning to make the best of the few weeks I have. But, based on your experience, I have decided that it is just not worth the risk and I will stay in the US till I actually start working for my new employer.