Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RadGS is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent help -- Travel with AP while H4 extension (and spouse's H1 extension) pending

Hi,
I was searching forums but so far confused with minor variations to my specific case. Please provide information know to you:

Me and my wife have AP and EAD pending I140 and I485 approvals. FP also done.

We also have our H1 and H4 in extension process and we do not have valid visa stampings. Our H1/H4 and stampings expired in Jan 2008 and applied for extension before expiry.

My wife need to travel immediately to India for couple of weeks mid April. We do not expect extended H1/H4 to be available before travel. My questions are:
1) I believe she should be able to enter US with AP without any issue. Is my assumption correct?
2) Would her travel impact our H1/H4 extension process in any manner? Would it impact use of H1/H4 once they are approved?
3) Would her travel impact our I140/I485 approval process in any manner?

We would like to continue to use H1/H4 till my I485 is approved and have GC in hand.

Thank you,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadGS View Post
Hi,
I was searching forums but so far confused with minor variations to my specific case. Please provide information know to you:

Me and my wife have AP and EAD pending I140 and I485 approvals. FP also done.

We also have our H1 and H4 in extension process and we do not have valid visa stampings. Our H1/H4 and stampings expired in Jan 2008 and applied for extension before expiry.

My wife need to travel immediately to India for couple of weeks mid April. We do not expect extended H1/H4 to be available before travel. My questions are:
1) I believe she should be able to enter US with AP without any issue. Is my assumption correct?
2) Would her travel impact our H1/H4 extension process in any manner? Would it impact use of H1/H4 once they are approved?
3) Would her travel impact our I140/I485 approval process in any manner?

We would like to continue to use H1/H4 till my I485 is approved and have GC in hand.

Thank you,
Not a lawyer so can't be completely sure.

First off, I don't think your wife's travel will have any impact on your H1 or green card.

I was in a similar situation where my H1B was pending and I needed to travel. Had AP and EAD in hand. I couldn't get a clear answer. Talking to lawyers, and checking on internet: My GC application would not have been impacted. And most likely the pending H1B would not be impacted because I was not doing a change of status. I worried about having two I-94 numbers but was told that probably it doesn't matter. The last action of USCIS holds.

So, if your wife's latest I-94 has AP then her status is AP, and will need to change status again if she wants to be on H4. If latest I-94 is the H4 then status is H4. Overall it shouldn't matter.

While I was going through this debate of what to do, I got my H1B approved. So can't tell you any first hand experience.

Summary: Since your wife is already on H4, pending H4 application is not a change of status, and H4 is dual intent, leaving the US before H4 is approved doesn't mean abandonment of H4 application, and will not impact GC. When she comes back her status will depend on the status stamped on the latest I-94 in hand.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RadGS is on a distinguished road

This is helpful in boosting some confidence. Thanks for this quick reply.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
bekugc has a spectacular aura about bekugc has a spectacular aura about
Default grupak, qn for u...

hi grupak,

you mentioned - "The last action of USCIS holds. "

does this mean if h1 extension approval arrives after the person returned back on AP (new i94 with AOS onit) , then his latest i94 will be H1??

thx

Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekugc View Post
hi grupak,

you mentioned - "The last action of USCIS holds. "

does this mean if h1 extension approval arrives after the person returned back on AP (new i94 with AOS onit) , then his latest i94 will be H1??

thx
Yes, thats what I understood from my inquires. The latest I-94 (if USCIS sends one) will determine your status.

Last edited by grupak; 04-04-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shaifu is on a distinguished road
Default same issue

Hi grupak
I am in a similar situation.I and my wife hv EAD and AP in hand.My H1 and her H4 expired in feb this year.We applied for our H visa extensions in oct 2007 with a receipt date of Oct 30th 2007 at vermont cntr.Thinking that our visa extensions will come in 3-4 months we booked tickets for a trip to india for may 15 to attend an importnt family gathering.But unfortunately our visa extensions hvnt come thru yet although my dates for H1 are current now and i might get my visa extn,but my wife's category I 539 is still being processed for Aug 13th 2007.My questions are

1) will my wifes H4 be approved for extnsion along with my H1 or she has to wait till her category becomes current
2) if we travel on AP what will happen to the period after feb 08 to the date we travel as i hv not used my EAD to work.will we get out of status
3) can we maintain our H statuses if we return on AP
4) will uscis continue to process our H1 and H4 even if we travel without the extn hvng been approved
5) since our I94s expiry date shows feb2nd 08 should we still hand them over at the time of departure
Please advise.will really appreciate ur valuable suggestins and other suggestions by learned gururs

Last edited by shaifu; 04-04-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/22/2007
Compare
pal351 has a spectacular aura about pal351 has a spectacular aura about
Angry I am Confused plz help me

Hi Grupak
I went to india On Jan 18th came back On feb 18th using AP. But My employer applied for H1B Extension on Jan 9th.

I did not get approved my H1B Extension yet.

My Q: in the port of Entry they gave me i 94 as parolee .
Do I need to apply any ammendment to change my status from Parolee to Non immigrant.

Please share your exepertise and Experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Raj.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare

Some answers inline in blue. Just my experience, not a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaifu View Post
Hi grupak
I ham in a similar situation.I and my wife hv EAD and AP in hand.My H1 and her H4 expired in feb this year.We applied for our H visa extensions in oct 2007 with a receipt date of Oct 30th 2007 at vermont cntr.Thinking that our visa extensions will come in 3-4 months we booked tickets for a trip to india for may 15 to attend an importnt family gathering.But unfortunately our visa extensions hvnt come thru yet although my dates for H1 are current now and i might get my visa extn,but my wife's category I 539 is still being processed for Aug 13th 2007.My questions are

1) will my wifes H4 be approved for extnsion along with my H1 or she has to wait till her category becomes current
The H1 and H4 are handled separately from my experience.
2) if we travel on AP what will happen to the period after feb 08 to the date we travel as i hv not used my EAD to work.will we get out of status
You are still in H1B status for 240 days until USCIS decides. The great thing is because you applied for I-485, you will not be out of status but AOS if H1B fails.
3) can we maintain our H statuses if we return on AP
I have heard different things. My lawyer thinks one can.
4) will uscis continue to process our H1 and H4 even if we travel without the extn hvng been approved
I have been told yes but its all gray area
5) since our I94s expiry date shows feb2nd 08 should we still hand them over at the time of departure
Please advise.
This you don't have to worry about. You have applied for I-485, applied for H1 ext. So, you are in status.
USCIS works a lot by memos... so its hard to dig up the exact law. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal351 View Post
Hi Grupak
I went to india On Jan 18th came back On feb 18th using AP. But My employer applied for H1B Extension on Jan 9th.

I did not get approved my H1B Extension yet.

My Q: in the port of Entry they gave me i 94 as parolee .
Do I need to apply any ammendment to change my status from Parolee to Non immigrant.

Please share your exepertise and Experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Raj.
Raj, I was facing a similar experience but my H1B ext arrived before I traveled. What I wrote to RadGS is all I know. The important thing is that no matter what your GC is safe. My lawyer thinks that you can continue working on H1B without needing to amend anything, others say different.

The confusion is because I think the H1B document typically does two things in one: (1) Work authorization and (2) status. So, in some sense it makes sense that with an approved H1B ext and an AP I-94, one is in AOS status and can still work using approved H1B because H1B is dual intent. And in future when you file for extension, USCIS gives you a H1B I-94. All of this is speculation at this point as I didn't find a clear FAQ or rule to cover this.

I really don't know what to suggest.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default thanks and please advise again

Hi Grupak
Thanks a ton for your valuable advise.Can u please give me some advise on the following

1) If I get my H1 ext before i travel but my wife doesnt,then can she still apply for H4 visa at the delhi consulate based on my H1.
2)alternately if i get my visa stamped and my wife doesnt then will she have any problems returning on AP and will it effect her GC application.
Please advise

Old 04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
glub has a spectacular aura about glub has a spectacular aura about

I have the same problem, but my company's lawyers - a prominent firm - say that as long as I was in the US when the extension application was filed , I should be fine...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hi glub
thanks.Are u planning to travel too.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare

shaifu, I am not a lawyer so take my words with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaifu View Post
Hi Grupak
Thanks a ton for your valuable advise.Can u please give me some advise on the following

1) If I get my H1 ext before i travel but my wife doesnt,then can she still apply for H4 visa at the delhi consulate based on my H1.

To get H4 visa, only approved H1 is required. This I know from experience. So, don't see a problem there. H4 applicant will need the usual documents (search on the net)
2)alternately if i get my visa stamped and my wife doesnt then will she have any problems returning on AP and will it effect her GC application.
Your wife's GC will not be effected as far as I know. In the odd chance that her GC is denied (for other reasons), she will have to file for a change of status to H4 based on your H1 to be in-status.
Please advise
As far as I know there are a lot of benefits that comes from applying for I-485. You do not accrue out of status while I-485 is pending. That's one of the reason IV has included the ability to apply for I-485 (after certain threshold like I-140) even when PD is not current, in the administrative fix. Everyone should get involved actively and help IV achieve its goal. It will help current and future immigrants.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by glub View Post
I have the same problem, but my company's lawyers - a prominent firm - say that as long as I was in the US when the extension application was filed , I should be fine...
Yeah, that's what I was told... as long as it is not a change of status but an extension then leaving US before approval, does not mean abandoning the application. But none of this should effect the GC I was told, thats the most important thing.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/16/2006
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
noman is on a distinguished road
Default Gone thru this in FEB 08

I had my 7th year extension pending (H1 & H4), I-140 approved and this was my lawyers recommendation:
1. I can travel as far as I have one of these approved a H1 or I-140 before I leave.(just to be safe not that its required)
2. If the extension is approved while I was gone I will be back as a payrolle, but can keep working on extended H1.
3. If not I have to use EAD to work.

I came back on the 24th FEB and my h1 got approved on 22nd FEB, no issues at all at the POE and my family came back on the 28th FEB all fine. Got I-94 with a payrolle status for one year.
I haven't gotten an answer from my lawyer about the two I-94 issue or how to extend the latest one year I-94.
If you have any other question please ask, I will be delighted to answer.
Good Luck.
EAD: Approved & received for all
AP: Approved & received for all
FP: NO NEWS YET