Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Rally Memories - part 1 : WHO MET WHO ? HOW DID YOU FEEL (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13558)

chanduv23 09-19-2007 02:27 AM

Rally Memories - part 1 : WHO MET WHO ? HOW DID YOU FEEL

I am starting this thread for people to share some nice sweet memories about the rally.

This Part 1 is basically for "WHO MET WHO"

Most of us in these forums - we talked on phones for a long time and discussed a lot of topics - and we met each other in real at the rally.

I was excited - and I want to share some of my experiences.

Please post some experiences on this thread like mine below

I drove from New York with 5 other dedicated IV members ie tnite, tikka, siraviny, ps57002 and a new member Arun

At the Rally I met Niloufer(needhelp) and Vandana, drona and other volunteers at the registration desk and was nice to meet you all.

Then came paskal and gsc999 who stuck a badge on my shirt "chanduv23" and then I met Shivakanth, Vijay Anand and other folks.

After that I met Macaca - lovable guy, some core members like indio0617, ashish, tamsen.

Then I met pappu. As soon as I greeted him he stood up. I thought he was respecting me. I felt honored. But after a while - he was standing up to anyone who greets him. Then I figured out that was his habit - and no respect or whatever :D:D:D

Then met Abhijeet who was carrying his guiter and then jazzbythebay, janilsal and other folks and Jay and Aman and all core team members

Then I met all the Chinese friends in the NY chapter, Jane, Sophia and it was nice knowing them

I did miss out a few names - but overall I loved this experience of meeting you all the folks

gcsngh 09-19-2007 08:35 AM

Great sharing your experiance!

Chanduv,

Did you meet any lawmakers? Please share the insights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanduv23 (Post 168959)
I am starting this thread for people to share some nice sweet memories about the rally.

Most of us in these forums - we talked on phones for a long time and discussed a lot of topics - and we met each other in real at the rally.

I drove from New York with 5 other dedicated IV members ie tnite, tikka, siraviny, ps57002 and a new member Arun

At the Rally I met Niloufer(needhelp) and Vandana, drona and other volunteers at the registration desk and was nice to meet you all.

Then came paskal and gsc999 who stuck a badge on my shirt "chanduv23" and then I met Shivakanth, Vijay Anand and other folks.

After that I met Macaca - lovable guy, some core members like indio0617, ashish, tamsen.

Then I met pappu. As soon as I greeted him he stood up. I thought he was respecting me. I felt honored. But after a while - he was standing up to anyone who greets him. Then I figured out that was his habit - and no respect or whatever :D:D:D

Then met Abhijeet who was carrying his guiter and then jazzbythebay, janilsal and other folks and Jay and Aman and all core team members

Then I met all the Chinese friends in the NY chapter, Jane, Sophia and it was nice knowing them

I did miss out a few names - but overall I loved this experience of meeting you all the folks

Regards

chanduv23 09-19-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcsngh (Post 169003)
Chanduv,

Did you meet any lawmakers? Please share the insights.

Regards

I did not meet the lawmakers nor did I attend the congressional reception - situation at home restricted me to just do the rally.

Please use this thread to share some nice funny moments

needhelp! 09-19-2007 10:13 AM

handles and voices turned into faces

sw33t, texanmom, thescadman, nagaraj, mundru, macaca, paskal, pdakwala, ashish, pappu, drona, franklin, paskal, janils, ARC
Kanika, Meenal, Sumita, Vandana, Vijay, Akhil, Ashish, Sapna, Preeti, Atmaja, Sonali, Sujata, Dhiren, Sejal, Prasad, Arun, Venky, Gopal, Jane, Kaushal oh my GOD I am surely forgetting a ton of others (and I can't match them with thier IV handles).. California's huge contingent was so great!!
abhijitp, chanduv, Aman and logiclife, well they have already been household figures around my place, and it was great to see them in action.

Please PM me and remind me if I met you, I really really WANT to remember. Overwhelmed by the warmth and cameraderie of the whole group.

Jaime, Libra, 485_se_dukhi, digital2k are there any pictures where I can spot you?

Libra 09-19-2007 11:32 AM

You took my placard to take a picture with abhijit, remember? I was there right next to you when you were taking pictures.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by needhelp! (Post 169046)
sw33t, texanmom, thescadman, nagaraj, mundru, macaca, paskal, pdakwala, ashish, pappu, drona, franklin, paskal, janils, ARC
Kanika, Meenal, Sumita, Vandana, Vijay, Akhil, Ashish, Sapna, Preeti, Atmaja, Sonali, Sujata, Dhiren, Sejal, Prasad, Arun, Venky, Gopal, Jane, Kaushal oh my GOD I am surely forgetting a ton of others (and I can't match them with thier IV handles).. California's huge contingent was so great!!
abhijitp, chanduv, Aman and logiclife, well they have already been household figures around my place, and it was great to see them in action.

Please PM me and remind me if I met you, I really really WANT to remember. Overwhelmed by the warmth and cameraderie of the whole group.

Jaime, Libra, 485_se_dukhi, digital2k are there any pictures where I can spot you?

indio0617 09-19-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanduv23 (Post 168959)

chanduv23:

Same here. It was great meeting you all, seeing the faces behind the voices and names. It was an emotional high.

Pappu and me stopped at Union Stn for lunch on the way back after the rally. We were both physically drained and famished. Our jaws dropped when we spotted a desi restaurant there. You all should have seen how we attacked the food !

diptam 09-19-2007 12:14 PM

That food was awesome !!

Its awesome - I dare trying unknown Indian restaurants because either they serve too spicy or too light and the taste is different than Real Indian. But this was authentic taste of Indian Food.

Myself and Dilip ate that Indian food before meeting Senator Kerry's office. Mohit and Kishore had Mexican food but they saw the Indian food all the time.

No wonder the overall meeting with 4 of us was really good :) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by indio0617 (Post 169105)
chanduv23:

Same here. It was great meeting you all, seeing the faces behind the voices and names. It was an emotional high.

Pappu and me stopped at Union Stn for lunch on the way back after the rally. We were both physically drained and famished. Our jaws dropped when we spotted a desi restaurant there. You all should have seen how we attacked the food !

chanduv23 09-19-2007 12:49 PM

Please share - incidents like - pulling legs - teasing - little pranks etc...

Libra 09-19-2007 12:52 PM

I heard some one saying 'we waited long enough, now let the traffic wait' when we were crossing the streets :D

needhelp! 09-19-2007 12:59 PM

We had a long backlog for registration at the congressional reception, which we cleared very efficiently. Gopal was the one using all the GC analogies at the Congressional reception.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libra (Post 169172)
I heard some one saying 'we waited long enough, now let the traffic wait' when we were crossing the streets :D

needhelp! 09-19-2007 01:00 PM

Oh.. Great to meet you Libra! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libra (Post 169098)
You took my placard to take a picture with abhijit, remember? I was there right next to you when you were taking pictures.:)

indio0617 09-19-2007 01:04 PM

Me and Pappu were walking along checking to see if the march was orderly.
There was this IV member who spotted a desi journalist; he went up to him and asked him if he knew "Who won in the Pak vs Aus match in the ongoing Twenty 20 tournament "

srikondoji 09-19-2007 01:06 PM

I and manish flew monday morning sept 17th on a short notice to attend 11:30AM appointment and then again at 3:30 PM with nagaraj.
We had 2 more appointments on 18th with NH senators.
All the meetings were great and one them exceeded 30 minute schedule to 50 minutes.

It was great to meet all the members like aman, jay, paskal, kanika, meenal, nagaraj, pappu, gopal etc.

Paskal: Where is my beer?
Gopal: "Don't shoot the messenger" in the situation room.
jay: Speech pointing fingure to capitol hill behind him. "We are here on offence".
Mike: Step1 to step 5 entertainment

These are some, but not all, of the memorable things in DC.

I really had to mention pappu seperately.
He is a dedicated person to this cause and needs special mention. I really enjoyed his company in the bus on our return journey to NH. We shooted all possible questions and got convincing answers.

Thanks again for the wonderful experience.
It was a true vacation.:eek::eek:

nandakumar 09-19-2007 01:08 PM

Being a volunteer, I had a chance to meet most of the members of the core team and other selfless volunteers. I also met the staffs of three congressmen and attended the congressional reception as well. I'll cherish this memory forever, since not many will get this chance in their lifetime.

One of the memorable moment on a personal level is, I met two of my high school juniors after more than 15yrs. It was a great feeling.

Chandu I met you also near the U-Haul truck when returning things after capitol hill meeting......

tnite 09-19-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandakumar (Post 169187)
Being a volunteer, I had a chance to meet most of the members of the core team and other selfless volunteers. I also met the staffs of three congressmen and attended the congressional reception as well. I'll cherish this memory forever, since not many will get this chance in their lifetime.

One of the memorable moment on a personal level is, I met two of my high school juniors after more than 15yrs. It was a great feeling.

Chandu I met you also near the U-Haul truck when returning things after capitol hill meeting......

And I happened to be one of those juniors Nandha is talking about.It was a wonderful experience .

chanduv23 09-19-2007 01:32 PM

We had our fun while driving - we had a new IV member, Naveen's friend a doctor who just came from India a month back and trying for residency. His name is Arun.

Now Mr Arun missed Indian food as he does not get it where he lives and was kinda home sick. We stopped over in the Edison area and packed some junk food.

Our friend Arun was delighted by eating Egg Bajji, Samosa, Jilebi - ONE MUST SEE HOW HIS FACE LIT UP - HE BECAME PROUD OF IV JUST AT THAT INSTANCE AND WAS ONE OF THE MOST ENERGETIC RALLIER

Green06 09-19-2007 01:35 PM

Thanks to IV Core

I am part of MN Chapter and attended the rally. It was a wonderful experience. I am proud to part of IV family and I am sure that lawmakers will listen to our voice. It was also exciting to see faces behind the IV names.

Keep up the good work IV

Meenal 09-19-2007 01:38 PM

putting face to the ivhandle

Can you PM me your real name. I have a feeling, I know you by your real name.
:)
Meenal (ivhandle : beenwaiting)

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikondoji (Post 169185)
I and manish flew monday morning sept 17th on a short notice to attend 11:30AM appointment and then again at 3:30 PM with nagaraj.
We had 2 more appointments on 18th with NH senators.
All the meetings were great and one them exceeded 30 minute schedule to 50 minutes.

It was great to meet all the members like aman, jay, paskal, kanika, meenal, nagaraj, pappu, gopal etc.

Paskal: Where is my beer?
Gopal: "Don't shoot the messenger" in the situation room.
jay: Speech pointing fingure to capitol hill behind him. "We are here on offence".
Mike: Step1 to step 5 entertainment

These are some, but not all, of the memorable things in DC.

I really had to mention pappu seperately.
He is a dedicated person to this cause and needs special mention. I really enjoyed his company in the bus on our return journey to NH. We shooted all possible questions and got convincing answers.

Thanks again for the wonderful experience.
It was a true vacation.:eek::eek:

checklaw 09-19-2007 02:37 PM

Excellent life-time experience!

The IV bus journey from NJ was very well planned and executed. All I had to do as a "participant" was indeed to just hop on....no fine print! On the bus and at the rally made some wonderful friends.

singhsa3, mpada and everyone who may have worked on the NJ/NY bus logistics, you have been excellent! Thank you IV core for providing this convenience.

IV handle "laborchic" who was on our NJ bus co-coordinating the minute details of to and fro journey with help from another selfless soul "amit_sp”, superbly handled stopovers, timings, ensuring that we reached rally on time and also more importantly that 'No child (read registered bus member) was left behind' and keeping driver happy etc....

Special thoughts also go to whoever came up and arranged the idea of the Gurudwara stopover during the forward journey. It was simply superb! We were able to catch up some sleep there and were fresh for the rally. The host at the the Gurudwara was most gracious. The facilities were good. We were grateful for the lovely breakfast and tea that was served.

The rally was very well organized, right to the minutest details. It was a wonderful effort from some really tired but focused and determined looking volunteer folks whom I saw scrambling around while we participants had it easy. During the rally got a good view of the Capitol Hill and other spots. The cops on motorbikes, cars and bicycles monitoring our procession looked an awesome sight. But that paled compared to the feeling of camaraderie and friendship that was overwhelming all of us folks in white IV T shirts.

Also saw faces behind IV handles, the core and other ever active ones, and found out that they were just like me, two hands two legs.... no horns or feathers. Realization then struck that what probably differentiated them from a lot of us was simply that they have reacted to the same problems you and I have in a smart, constructive and selfless manner.

This is what I could remember and share with few of you who unfortunately could not make it and a whole lot of you who did not make it. To the latter, the feeling of high I have now from having acted upon my normal demons is something I am not able to describe. I just feel it......

srikondoji 09-19-2007 02:54 PM

sent you a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenwaiting (Post 169221)
Can you PM me your real name. I have a feeling, I know you by your real name.
:)
Meenal (ivhandle : beenwaiting)

sbindval 09-19-2007 03:21 PM

Power of Voice

My wife attended the rally yesterday and this is what she wrote her friends who didn't come to the rally!

Yesterday, Shyam, Isha and I spent all day in DC as part of immigrationvoice, a grassroots non-profit organization that acts as an interface between highly skilled immigrants and the legislative and executive branches of the government. It was a wonderful experience. Over thousand people met at the foot of the Washington monument, and walked all the way to the US capitol. The organization had made good arrangements. Its amazing how people from all over the country were there and very few local people. One South African couple had driven on Monday from Indiana and came to the rally to celebrate the husband's birthday!! He wanted to be a part of this rally as a present for his birthday. We had 2 people - Manish and Sri, from New Hampshire staying with us on Monday who came just for the rally. There were some british, some chinese along with we Desis.

The need for the rally brought to light the real issues -

Most of us may have applied for our I-485 Step 3 in the greencard process, in July 2007, but that doesn't mean we will get our green cards soon. The govt accepts only 140000 applications a year and only 9000 are allocated to Indians in all categories.

Lawmakers and congress are confused when they think of immigrants - they club legal and illegal together. Even the Seattle senator who addressed the gathering yesterday made the same mistake. He said its good that you guys are out here so the congress can see its not only the janitors and others who have immigration issues but also highly skilled immigrants! No mention of legal. He used his time to promote the democratic party and we tried to remind him we don't have voting rights even though we pay the same taxes and work like everyone else!

We have to do something to be heard and heard right!

Thats the beauty of this country you can reach out to people in the highest positions and get heard. When the voice is collective its even more powerful. Shyam along with many others met with many congressmen and senators over the span on 2 days to explain our plight to them. One congresswoman mentioned that when a bill comes to vote in congress she polls the number of phone calls and emails she gets from her constituency and submits her votes accordingly. I was surprised to see how much actually our voice means.

We don't realize the power we possess since we are sitting in our own life bubbles of work, home, stress, kids and everything that most often swallows our individuality and ability to think. We need to step up think for ourselves and and help ourselves and everyone else in the process.

Like Sheela murthy, one of the leading immigration lawyers, said that yesterday's rally and the forum immigrationvoice.org may not make an immediate impact. But we are truly paving the way for the future of legal immigrants to the US.

The forum is the only organized and collective way to get out our frustration against the system! So many people don't understand the hardships and seriousness of the greencard issues. Especially the people who got their greencards pre 2001 era! If you are interested in finding out more about the forum and the need for high level lobbying please visit immigrationvoice.org. If you were ever stuck in the green card rut or you or you have family who are applying, please spread the word and join the fight!

paskal 09-19-2007 08:03 PM

too much to write

and still too weary, esp after dragging through a full work day...
watch this space...it will come eventually...
meanwhile suffice to say that it was simply awesome to meet the personas behind the handles...sure made everything worthwhile :D

abhijitp 09-19-2007 08:06 PM

Now that makes me curious

Quote:

Originally Posted by needhelp! (Post 169178)
Oh.. Great to meet you Libra! Thanks!

I am not sure I met you Libra... please PM me a link to your picture from the rally:)

gsc999 09-19-2007 08:06 PM

Guys who attended the rally, you will be in demand for your stories

A note of caution, please just share personal anecdotes. All formal lawmaker meeting minutes need to be forwarded directly to the IV lobby day event coordinators and IV core members only.

Let the people who missed the rally also miss the excellent chance of sharing our strategy and law maker information.

Also be mindful of addressing people by their real names. It is good that you can put names to IV handles but please protect their privacy, unless they themselves are ok sharing their names publically. You can always use PMs.

I hope you all understand.

paskal 09-19-2007 08:10 PM

information

this is not just a question of depriving those who did not come.
let's please recognise that many people did have genuine compulsions as well.
the more important issue at hand is that sensitive information should not be released on an open forum. state chapters are free to organize live meetings and brief their members on lawmaker meeting experiences. those who attend chapter sessions are welcome to participate and learn- and join in for future meetings which should continue at the district/state level.

gsc999 09-19-2007 08:18 PM

There are thousands of anecdotes that I could share. My best is the look of shock on one of the IV member's face when I asked him to escort one of the lawmakers who attended the Monday evening reception dinner. We couldn't believe that we see him on C-Span and he is standing next to us and supporting our cause.
- Can you imagine the feeling when a lawmakers says I know about you guys. You are doing a good job. This shows we are visible in the Hill.
- I felt great when I saw the confidence on the smiling faces of IV members when they came out of lawmakers meetings. For those who missed this historic opportunity, I can't even begin to explain the change in mindset from the initial apprehension about visiting a lawmaker's office to, "Why do I only have three meetings set up, I want to fill in for others IV members who might not have shown up due to various reasons"

For those demanding immediate results when they themselves might not have showed up at the rally the answer is, we will get our green cards eventually. There is absolutely no doubt about that in my mind but these experiences and memories will be cherished for a long time. This is also important to me. This new "experience capital" which was initially present among just the core members has trickled down to other members, we are growing in strength and reach our goal soon.

I am glad I went for three days. I wish I could stay longer.

guyfromsg 09-19-2007 08:25 PM

Life changing experience..

I arrived on Monday morning and met Paskal as he was going for meeting. Went to situation room and first met ever energetic gcs999. We went out for lunch with logiclife. And then start meeting people and I'll list them separately. Two of the most memorable days in my life. Thank you guys and gals.

Please PM me if you want any specific photos from dinner meet and rally. I took several photos and already shared in one of the threads here.

chanduv23 09-19-2007 08:51 PM

Please do look at guidelines from gsc999 and paskal for posting on this thread. This thread is supposed to be a fun thread - where you share jokes and u share things that made u laugh.

Don't post any sensitive information here - this is a public forum. Do not post any lawmaker meeting information here.

authrd 09-19-2007 09:20 PM

Inspired by IV

I am a new member on IV. Haven't contributed, haven't send flowers or thank you cards, haven't volunteered for anything. In fact, I had not even heard of IV up until a month or so back.

However, as I read about the IV efforts in response to the July fiasco, I realised there are a lot of people out here on IV who are doing a tremendous amount of work, work that affects me as an individual positively.

At the last minute, I decided to drive down from NJ. My wife has never ever been on any immigration forum. But she was all for it. We thought it would be too late to get on the NJ bus and drove down.

ME AND MY WIFE ARE VERY PROUD OF IV AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MADE IT TO DC. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

For the first time in my life, I have stood up for anything. I am from India and I hate to say it but for far too long, most Indians I know have been shy/meek/lazy about standing up for what we believe in.

Hats off to all the IV volunteers, people who came in and worked over the weekend, people especially who flew into DC, people who came with their kids!!!

PS: Disappointed in my fellow East Coast ppl for no turning up in more numbers

gcsngh 09-19-2007 09:33 PM

Not enough words to thank you!

Wish we could have been part of the Team, we were away to Canada to get our visas renewed, can any one share the kind of impact we made in DC in terms of awareness and any positive reponse from the lawmakers.

Regards:)

gsc999 09-19-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by authrd (Post 169620)
I am a new member on IV. Haven't contributed, haven't send flowers or thank you cards, haven't volunteered for anything. In fact, I had not even heard of IV up until a month or so back.

However, as I read about the IV efforts in response to the July fiasco, I realised there are a lot of people out here on IV who are doing a tremendous amount of work, work that affects me as an individual positively.

At the last minute, I decided to drive down from NJ. My wife has never ever been on any immigration forum. But she was all for it. We thought it would be too late to get on the NJ bus and drove down.

ME AND MY WIFE ARE VERY PROUD OF IV AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MADE IT TO DC. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

For the first time in my life, I have stood up for anything. I am from India and I hate to say it but for far too long, most Indians I know have been shy/meek/lazy about standing up for what we believe in.

Hats off to all the IV volunteers, people who came in and worked over the weekend, people especially who flew into DC, people who came with their kids!!!

PS: Disappointed in my fellow East Coast ppl for no turning up in more numbers

----
Thanks for making my day. Post like this is what makes our volunteer work so satisfying.

vandanaverdia 09-19-2007 09:43 PM

Putting faces & names to IV handles....

Coming to DC will be a memory most of us will cherish... and for a really long time...

Whether it was working late or eating dinner at 3 am or running to meetings, it was an enriching experience for all IV members. And it makes us proud that we stood up & made our presence felt & voices heard...

We all knew each other by IV handles... but meeting in DC put names & faces to those handles...
Meeting each & everyone was amazing and even more satisfying was that people came from different states & with families & kids...

A li'l disappointed with the locals who didn't turn up though.... and more so with those who walked on the other side of the road from all of us....

thescadaman 09-19-2007 11:20 PM

Houston, TX to DC - My Experience

It was a memorable trip indeed! 3 weeks before, I thought Houston to DC was a long shot. I kept reading the IV forums and saw the energy built up. Then I decided, I should definitely do something from my part even if I don’t attend the Rally. I said to myself, enough, I am going to announce in the Texas thread that I am willing to volunteer for the publicity work in Houston during the long weekend. That’s when I got a chance to talk to Texanmom. We had a conversation for about 40 minutes and once I finishing talking to her over the phone my position changed from “‘No way” to let me try to convince my friends and if I have company, I will go. I can always talk to my Boss later about taking a day off. Once I decided that, I kept calling all my friends in Houston. Sadly, I could not motivate people to buy tickets and fly with me to DC. My wife, then told me, if you want to go, you should go, don’t wait for your friends.

I am glad, I took that decision. The whole trip to DC was very memorable indeed. There were 3 of us in the same flight jayram123, Texanmom and myself. We had a volunteer (IV handle ?? – if you are reading this please tell me your IV Handle!), who picked us up and we all stayed in a hotel. Thanks for all your hospitality! We left very early and reached the location by 7:15 in the morning. It felt good to work with everyone and make the necessary preparation before the crowd started pouring in.

Early in the morning, GSC999 gave us a quick announcement session telling us what we need to do as volunteers and what was the plan. GSC999 - you energy was contagious. I was all ready and excited once I heard you talking about our plan for the day.

On of my best moment of the trip was handing out water bottles to all the participants who were standing besides the road showing their banners. This happened just before the actual Rally began. It was a nice feeling making all the folks comfortable and giving them water while they were all standing there for more than an hour flaunting their signs to the cars on the road. I was helping another volunteer in this effort and later found that he is from Houston too and is part of IV Core (please PM me your id if you are reading this). It felt so good that all of us were helping each other for our common cause.

I had one person ask me where can we find the nametag stickers which we give to the volunteers. I searched for a long time and then told that person that I will find it for him. Then I got busy with some other work. Only later I realized that it was not some other volunteer who had requested the nametags from me but it was Mr. Pappu himself! Pappu you are a very humble man!

A special thanks to the person who was pulling the cart with 2 packs of water bottles all along the Rally and distributing water to all the people who were walking in the Rallly. I tried moving that cart and found that it was TOO Heavy and decided to work on some other volunteering effort. But you did it. Thanks!

Also, the person who sang the National Anthem did a wonderful job! All the speeches were very nice too! The sound system arrangement was very professional. The Rally Marshals did a fabulous job and everything went exactly as planned. The arrangements made by the Cops with their cars motorbikes and bicycles was very impressive.

In all, it was great trip from Houston to DC. Thanks to jayram123 too who took care of all the travel logistics. I did not have a clue about the routes or the trains etc and was completely relying on him. Hoping to keep in touch with the Houston IV team and help with more efforts till all our goals are achieved.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered and participated in the Rally. I wanted to write a lot more and mention a lot of names, only if I had noted down their IV handles! Moreover I have to catch some sleep now. Its been a very looong day yesterday.

dante1271 09-19-2007 11:28 PM

It was worth the trip!!!

I went to the DC rally anyway...
I meet new friends but cant remember all their unusual names (FBI name check problem :D, just kidding) ...
pose for a picture in front of the US Capitol...
see the White House live!!!...
got inside the US congress buildings (was little embarassed, wearing jeans during lobbying :cool:)...

see old-time friends in DC and have lunch at Chipotle near Tysons Corner mall...
watch some drivers get angry due to the traffic caused by the parade (huh!)...
lost some carbs due to walking, ...
saw nice gals jogging on the streets of DC at the parade route...
5 hours sitting down in the airplane from CA to DC, 5 hours again from DC to CA...
LASTLY, HAPPY JUST BEING THERE FOR THE IV Cause...

P.S. they have good food inside the US congress cafeteria...

Thanks to Drona and Ramesh for making my trip happend.

gsc999 09-19-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescadaman (Post 169676)
It was a memorable trip indeed! 3 weeks before, I thought Houston to DC was a long shot. I kept reading the IV forums and saw the energy built up. Then I decided, I should definitely do something from my part even if I don’t attend the Rally. I said to myself, enough, I am going to announce in the Texas thread that I am willing to volunteer for the publicity work in Houston during the long weekend. That’s when I got a chance to talk to Texanmom. We had a conversation for about 40 minutes and once I finishing talking to her over the phone my position changed from “‘No way” to let me try to convince my friends and if I have company, I will go. I can always talk to my Boss later about taking a day off. Once I decided that, I kept calling all my friends in Houston. Sadly, I could not motivate people to buy tickets and fly with me to DC. My wife, then told me, if you want to go, you should go, don’t wait for your friends.

I am glad, I took that decision. The whole trip to DC was very memorable indeed. There were 3 of us in the same flight jayram123, Texanmom and myself. We had a volunteer (IV handle ?? – if you are reading this please tell me your IV Handle!), who picked us up and we all stayed in a hotel. Thanks for all your hospitality! We left very early and reached the location by 7:15 in the morning. It felt good to work with everyone and make the necessary preparation before the crowd started pouring in.

Early in the morning, GSC999 gave us a quick announcement session telling us what we need to do as volunteers and what was the plan. GSC999 - you energy was contagious. I was all ready and excited once I heard you talking about our plan for the day.

On of my best moment of the trip was handing out water bottles to all the participants who were standing besides the road showing their banners. This happened just before the actual Rally began. It was a nice feeling making all the folks comfortable and giving them water while they were all standing there for more than an hour flaunting their signs to the cars on the road. I was helping another volunteer in this effort and later found that he is from Houston too and is part of IV Core (please PM me your id if you are reading this). It felt so good that all of us were helping each other for our common cause.

---
You did a fabulous job. The registration process was so smooth that people didn't even notice it. It is always a pleasure to work with motivated people, in your words, who support the common cause.

franklin 09-20-2007 12:11 AM

Hmmm... humorous stories...

Well there was gsc999 and jazz trying to pull a "room service" gag on Drona and myself, but they went to the wrong room...

... I've heard some pretty hilarious tales about a comedic cab journey with a driver that wouldn't obey, and got some impromptu driving instruction by Logiclife...

... but a lot of the others must stay in DC :)

485_se_dukhi 09-20-2007 12:21 AM

Hi Niloufer,

Both my husband and I wore bright green T-shirts and were pushing a pink stroller...:D

Somebody in the rally in fact remarked that our green T-shirts matched the idea of getting green cards...;)

Here's the link to some of our pix at the rally...:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/preetisi...tember18th2007

I was hoping to meet you but in all the rush and excitement, missed you...but I'm glad to see you in the other pix...your daughter is just too cute!!:)

take care,
Preeti

Quote:

Originally Posted by needhelp! (Post 169046)

abhijitp 09-20-2007 01:02 AM

special thanks to leo2606 and gdhiren

There are just too many fond memories to share in one post... but I do want to specially thank leo2606 who drove 70 miles to pick up myself, venkygct, vsraja and punjabi at the Dulles airport and then took us out for breakfast, then to the rally venue, then for lunch, finally to a hotel room we had booked for a quick shower, basically... like a shadow he was with us wherever we wanted to go! And... whenever we thanked him (and gdhiren who co-ordinated pickups/dropoffs for many others like the 4 of us) these guys, instead of saying something like "You are welcome", would profusely thank us for flying in!

Its people... like leo2606 and gdhiren.. and many others are the true strength of IV!

anilsal 09-20-2007 01:21 AM

Great to meet

waldenpond,gsc999, needhelp, chandu123, nixstor, paskal, *************MACACA**********, drona, eager2immi,logiclife,pappu, Mr.Postman(PDakwala/CA), texanmom.

Missed: tikka, libra, english_august(not present at the rally)

singam 09-20-2007 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescadaman (Post 169676)
A special thanks to the person who was pulling the cart with 2 packs of water bottles all along the Rally and distributing water to all the people who were walking in the Rallly. I tried moving that cart and found that it was TOO Heavy and decided to work on some other volunteering effort. But you did it. Thanks!

I was that guy; yes it was heavy :o