Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Urgent--Whether Visitor Insurance Is mandatory? (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3093518)

sundarvap 09-24-2012 07:23 PM

Urgent--Whether Visitor Insurance Is mandatory?

Whether Visitor Insurance Is mandatory for people coming from India. Please advice as I have my in-laws coming down by this weekend.

salshaik 09-24-2012 08:55 PM

No, It's not mandatory. However taking minimal insurance is always better. You can choose the coverage depending on the health conditions. I bought insurance two times during my IN-LAWS'S visits and I never used it. Taking the insurance or not is entirely dependent on your personal decisions.
Hope this helps

Thanks,
Salauddin

pappu 09-25-2012 05:39 AM

The questions to be asked is if these visitor insurances cover anything other than simple bruises? How are the experiences of people who try to claim and were denied for one reason or other? How is their post purchase customer service? Once you go back to your home country if you can even chase them for reimbursement? Just purchasing for peace of mind without knowing if they even cover anything or even pay for anything is not good enough in my opinion. Are they even recognized by the state authority where you will go for treatment? How do you find if the company is good and not out to make easy money? Why big companies with reputation like Aetna, blue cross etc don't offer visitor insurance?

MahaBharatGC 11-27-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappu (Post 3560658)
The questions to be asked is if these visitor insurances cover anything other than simple bruises? How are the experiences of people who try to claim and were denied for one reason or other? How is their post purchase customer service? Once you go back to your home country if you can even chase them for reimbursement? Just purchasing for peace of mind without knowing if they even cover anything or even pay for anything is not good enough in my opinion. Are they even recognized by the state authority where you will go for treatment? How do you find if the company is good and not out to make easy money? Why big companies with reputation like Aetna, blue cross etc don't offer visitor insurance?

During my parent's trips and my wife's parents trip, there are times I bought visitor insurance and there are times I did not. It is nice to have some good insurance, if you think you cannot cover from out-of-pocket for small stuff.

Regarding my experience.
My father is diagnosed with cardiovascular issues and also diabetic. So, the most visiting insurances does not cover these pre-existing conditions. I took my dad to speciality doc once here on the probable issue related to the conditions and they charged non-insured consulting fee only. It worked out okay.
For my mother, who was free with any pre-existing conditions, I took to urgent care and used the claim process to claim back the money the urgent care requested. It took lot of communications back and forth but eventually, after co-pay and deductibles, they covered it.

so, it is up to us to forecast and take precautionary measures!