Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   DC RALLY - NEWS Thread (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13550)

chanduv23 09-19-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitga (Post 168995)

Neat one - this is cool.

485_se_dukhi 09-19-2007 08:41 AM

Here's the full article

Chung: Immigration reform still an urgent need
By L.A. Chung
Mercury News Columnist
Article Launched: 09/19/2007 01:37:40 AM PDT

Maybe it was just another demonstration in our nation's capital Tuesday.

High-skilled workers from around the country, including San Jose, met at the Washington Monument for the time-honored American ritual of marching to the front of the Capitol to press their cause. In this case: reforming employment-based immigration laws.

Let's hope it's the beginning of something more: progress in one little corner of our screwed-up immigration system. After the debacle of the big immigration reform bill this summer, Sen. Dianne Feinstein had suggested that the only way to fix any of it was to start piecemeal. Indeed, several independent measures are afoot, aimed at relieving specific areas, from high-skilled workers to guest workers to students. There's no talk of addressing the status of undocumented immigrants, the thing that killed the big bill last June.

So if there are places we can start solving problems before Congress freezes up in presidential election politics, why not?

"We are hoping for a clear action, rather than being left hanging in this state," said Rahul Deshpande, a 31-year-old software engineer who came here on an H-1B visa eight years ago.

Right now, people like Deshpande aren't looking for comprehensive reform. They're just hoping for a more predictable timeline for people already well into the application process but stuck in the long, uncertain state of waiting for green cards that are available but expire because of backlogs
Advertisement
in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services agency. With so much uncertainty, he has explored opportunities in Australia.

Seeing a clear way?

True, in Silicon Valley, and throughout the tech industry, we have ambivalence toward employment-based visas. High tech employers in particular say there is a shortage and they cannot do without them. American software engineers, some of whom have had to train foreign replacement programmers, contend the system has been abused, lowering wages and importing some workers who are less uniquely skilled than advertised.

I sat in the hillside living room of an American software engineer who has seen the ups and downs of the industry over the course of two decades. He didn't want to be identified because he wants to continue to be employed and fears speaking candidly, lest employers take umbrage.

Programmers' wages, which had been stagnant, rose inordinately high with the run-up to preparing computers for the Y2K change. With the advent of aggressive overseas hiring, wages "corrected," he acknowledged. And now they've gone down.

Investing in "us"

He doesn't fault the overseas workers in this era of globalization. Yet, he has discouraged his very bright nephew from going into computer science because of his own bleak outlook for earning potential in the field.

I doubt we want that, either.

Groups like Immigration Voice, which began almost two years ago, and Legal Immigrant Association, which sprang up in recent months, have taken pains to emphasize their members' legal status and to appeal to Americans' sense of fairness.

Fix the abuses, and fix the backlogs that make a mockery of the current laws, they say.

Deshpande's 6-month-old daughter is the reason he hopes for a long-term future in the United States. He likes the broader sense of community expressed, for example, by things we take for granted, such as a beach cleanup or a neighborhood watch. "Everyone feels responsible here," he said. "Ultimately, we take responsibility for our own environment here."

A shared sense of community: That's the way we'd all like to live.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Contact L.A. Chung at lchung@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5280.

vamsi_poondla 09-19-2007 08:56 AM

From www.GreatAndhra.com

http://www.greatandhra.com/ganews/vi...cat=10&scat=25

Windy 09-19-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciber.couger (Post 168818)
I don't know what it is, but I had this great feeling while I was on the Rally, a feeling of pride, courage, union. I really enjoyed being in the rally, seeing all other members, families, and little kids. It just made me feel I belong somewhere.
I had to mention this again, I know there is at least 10 people in my organization who promised to come to the Rally, I was looking all over for you guys, Then I found out none of you showed up after I called you at your offices! That really made feel bad, you all work in Virginia less than 30 minutes from DC. You should be a shame of your selves. A lot of people came from all over the country with their families and little kids. I just need to understand why?
We all in the same situation here, I am not going to speak to you again. sorry

I completely agree with you. I felt so proud to be in the rally. I am not even a green card seeker. I came with a bunch of people who already got their greencards. We all came to support the good cause. It was very nice to see how successful the rally was. I didn't expect this many people to take part.

Hats off to IV.

As mentioned, I know a lot of people in DC,VA and MD area, who are stuck in their green card process. None of them showed up. It is so shameful for them to not show and have someone else speak for these folks.

Meenal 09-19-2007 09:48 AM

Meetings

People were leaving because they had meetings with the law makers, we had scheduled meeting with the law makers all day long(it was a 3 day event).
:)
Meenal

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinallyCurrent (Post 168844)
Jaime is right , many joined after the rally started. I am one of those that joined later. We were atleast 5 people who came in together and I saw many more after us. And we joined AFTER the rally reached capitol. My only peeve was that many people were leaving even before the congressman began talking. People came there for the rally and then the leave as the meeting is going on --made no sense to me.

Anyway, the only reason we were late in joining was because we could not live with the fact that there were people flying in for the rally and we who were in Metro DC were not going. Thank you all for inspiring us to be there. It felt great do something for ourself.

Meenal 09-19-2007 10:05 AM

Thank you

Thank you Paskal for getting me into this. I am so proud to be a part of IV family.
Folks - This guy has it all - enthusiasm, leadership skills, brains and above all -a sense of humor that kept us going. When people got stressed out in the situation room, It was he who would make us all laugh :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by paskal (Post 168946)
it's very hard to estimate numbers in a crowd like this, personally i find it impossible and you will see that in the wildly varying press reports too.
however registrations clearly show that attendees crossed 2000.
we were walking in a narrow strip with just 3 people in a line to avoid disturbing traffic, so people may misinterpret that in pictures. however the line snaked forever...that i can tell you from being there as i started at the end of the line and tried to make my way to the front. also a lot of people did start leaving before the speech from the congressman and that will also cause wild variations in estimated numbers- these included a lot of locals that returned to work once the march itself was over. we are told by DC volunteers that world bank employees were present and others noted federal workers on their lunch breaks.
the response from passer byes was generally great, we encountered no heckling or protests. the last 4 days have seen a huge effort from many dedicated volunteers and the credit for this goes to them...as to those that came to walk! few organizations can organize and complete about 150 lawmaker meetings, including many with key senior legislators offices.
those who want to spend time discussing and debating numbers or diversity of attendees are as always free to do so. the undeniable fact remains that iv is today a dominant force in the fight for legal immigration reform and this is now recognized by all parties concerned, whether it be USCIS, legislators, immigration attorneys or the media. we have grown and matured as an organization and the way now is forward...

the last 4 days were the experience of a lifetime for me. more on that soon, but for now suffice to say that i'm proud to be a part of iv and to have raised my voice for fairness.

amit1234 09-19-2007 10:08 AM

News about rally in Rediff

http://specials.rediff.com/money/2007/sep/19slide1.htm

H1bslave 09-19-2007 10:24 AM

Yahoo - Skilled immigrants in US rally against visa delays

nice coverage

http://in.news.yahoo.com/070919/43/6kxzc.html

needhelp! 09-19-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenwaiting (Post 169039)
Thank you Paskal for getting me into this. I am so proud to be a part of IV family.
Folks - This guy has it all - enthusiasm, leadership skills, brains and above all -a sense of humor that kept us going. When people got stressed out in the situation room, It was he who would make us all laugh :)

OH.. so thats who beenwaiting is ;) Love ya!!

vaccine 09-19-2007 10:49 AM

Indians among protesting immigrants in Washington, DC

check this out

shortchanged 09-19-2007 10:50 AM

May be more than 2000

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaime (Post 168781)
I just came back from the rally to Dallas and yes, there were over 2000 people. It was a very successful event and the positive energy was amazing! We come from many different places and are from different disciplines, but we share a common heart. A heart that beats for America, and we will not let that heart stop beating! The only option is victory now! We are well on our way, together!!!!

If registration was more than 2000, the total should be much more than that.For eg. I registered only my name at the booth, but there were 5 of us actually there-myself, my wife, and 3 boys, 9,5, and 3 years old! Like that there should be more people with their families who were there.We drove from North western Pensylvania to SyracuseNY for our Finger printing on 17th and reached DC by 8 PM. We drove a total of 900 miles just for this rally in our SUV. I am very glad that we were able to participate in this commendable organizational effort in our own humble manner.

mheggade 09-19-2007 10:55 AM

We attended from VA

Me and my colleague convinced 10 of my colleagues and attended the rally , Although I agree DC/VA/MD numbers could have been more than 2000 in itself but some of us did our part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windy (Post 169015)
I completely agree with you. I felt so proud to be in the rally. I am not even a green card seeker. I came with a bunch of people who already got their greencards. We all came to support the good cause. It was very nice to see how successful the rally was. I didn't expect this many people to take part.

Hats off to IV.

As mentioned, I know a lot of people in DC,VA and MD area, who are stuck in their green card process. None of them showed up. It is so shameful for them to not show and have someone else speak for these folks.

Meenal 09-19-2007 10:57 AM

funny

Half an hour ago. i figured out who "needhelp!" is.
Love you too!:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by needhelp! (Post 169058)
OH.. so thats who beenwaiting is ;) Love ya!!