Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   Interesting Topics (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Commodity trading - Pls share your experiences (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238423)

smisachu 07-30-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maheshmail (Post 571639)
for options trading...is there any site you will suggest which provides daily alerts???

Many sites. What kind of alerts are you looking for? Vols? Greeks? You can also customize most of the alerts depending on spreads you might be trading. This is possible even in simple option accounts with Level 4 approval.

Keeme 07-30-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smisachu (Post 571731)
Many sites. What kind of alerts are you looking for? Vols? Greeks? You can also customize most of the alerts depending on spreads you might be trading. This is possible even in simple option accounts with Level 4 approval.

You seems an expert in this option trading. How about microcap stock trading ?

smisachu 07-30-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thakurrajiv (Post 571684)
SLV profile in yahoo mentions it tries to hold instruments to match SLV performance.
GLD claims physical gold holding in their profile. There is not holding detail on yahoo finance.
It will be interesting to dig into their actual portfolio holdings. But I agree that these are probably the closest instruments on gold and silver price play.

Both these ETF's have huge loop holes that are well known in the pro circles. The very question that they are holding physical gold or silver is highly questionable considering the market cap of these ETF's. There is risk that they will not perform like the underlying at all.

The custodians of SLV is JPM who usually has a huge short position on Colmex silver and GLD is HSBC who has a huge short position on gold. Read this article for more info.

Are GLD and SLV Legitimate Investment Vehicles? -- Seeking Alpha

Again this goes to my point that trading commodities is not as straight forward as it seems even in plain and easy instruments.

smisachu 07-30-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeme (Post 571778)
You seems an expert in this option trading. How about microcap stock trading ?

I am not a chartist or day trader if that is what you want to know. I have worked in high frequency Stat-Arb trading which also does micro caps sometimes.

awenger 07-30-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santa123 (Post 567331)
Hello IVians,
As we all await our GCs, I thot we can explore some investment vehicles.

Does anyone here have experience with commodity trading?
Can we trade in commodities on H1 or L1 status?
Is it too risky like forex trading?
Who are the online brokers offer commodity trading?
Is there a minimum account balance / trade required every month or so?

Pls share your experience. Thanks!

Why / How is this relevant in an immigration forum?

northstar 07-30-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thakurrajiv (Post 571685)
I have optionsexpress account which is cheap way to trade in options. I have not looked into alert features.
You should be able to look up option prices from most of the electronic brokers. I have used tdameritrade and optionsexpress.

Does optionexpress platform provide any special advantages related to option trading in terms of strategy analysis etc? I have etrade and I am not sure if i am missing anything

kosb 07-30-2009 06:18 PM

Plenty of sites.. to discuss this stuff. Lets keep this forum only for immigration related issues.
You can go to Online Coupons | Cash Back - FatWallet.com (Finance forum) or bogleheads forum to discuss specifics.

thakurrajiv 07-30-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northstar (Post 572162)
Does optionexpress platform provide any special advantages related to option trading in terms of strategy analysis etc? I have etrade and I am not sure if i am missing anything

It is the cost. I think optionexpress charges 9.99 flat fee for any number of contracts. Most other well known brokers will charge some flat fee + per contract fee.
When I researched this is the cheapest I could find for individual options trading.

maheshmail 07-30-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smisachu (Post 571731)

I have level 3 (spread) approval from TD. I am looking to get trade signals like Zacks for Options.

thakurrajiv 07-30-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smisachu (Post 571869)
Both these ETF's have huge loop holes that are well known in the pro circles. The very question that they are holding physical gold or silver is highly questionable considering the market cap of these ETF's. There is risk that they will not perform like the underlying at all.

The custodians of SLV is JPM who usually has a huge short position on Colmex silver and GLD is HSBC who has a huge short position on gold. Read this article for more info.

Are GLD and SLV Legitimate Investment Vehicles? -- Seeking Alpha

Again this goes to my point that trading commodities is not as straight forward as it seems even in plain and easy instruments.

I agree. These ETFs are too risky. With so many pros in the game nothing is easy nowadays. As you had mentioned in one of your post, the market for individuals is as close to gambling as it gets.

vactorboy29 07-30-2009 06:35 PM

I trade UYM and SMN for materials.Dont hold these ETF for long .But if you know what is happenning arround then you can make decent money in sort time.Caution these are 2 x leverage ProShare ETF needs close reading of index.

vin13 07-30-2009 06:44 PM

Is this Immigration related?

Quote:

Originally Posted by santa123 (Post 567331)
Hello IVians,
As we all await our GCs, I thot we can explore some investment vehicles.

Does anyone here have experience with commodity trading?
Can we trade in commodities on H1 or L1 status?
Is it too risky like forex trading?
Who are the online brokers offer commodity trading?
Is there a minimum account balance / trade required every month or so?

Pls share your experience. Thanks!

This is not related in any way to Immigration.

smisachu 07-30-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thakurrajiv (Post 572343)
I agree. These ETFs are too risky. With so many pros in the game nothing is easy nowadays. As you had mentioned in one of your post, the market for individuals is as close to gambling as it gets.

If you cannot make trading your profession then Invest don't trade. Or trade options where you don't have to watch tick by tick.

Hey guys who are scolding us that this is not related to immigration- Common cut us some slack. Can we discuss just immigration 365 days when we are the only ones doing it and policy makers dont care about us? We will go nuts doing it. What is the harm if we all discuss other stuff. Maybe there could be a seperate thread or something for discussing non immigration stuff. As a community we should be able to discuss and share other stuff than just our frustrations.

saketh555 07-30-2009 08:13 PM

Atleast you are taking a break from immigration.
Try onlinetradingacademy, offcourse they are expensive but heard its worth if you wanna be trader but do DD before making a decision.
I do swing trade and my portfolio consists only biomedical stocks which are around couple of bucks(can't efford more than that):D.

wantgc23 07-30-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smisachu (Post 571914)
I am not a chartist or day trader if that is what you want to know. I have worked in high frequency Stat-Arb trading which also does micro caps sometimes.

smisachu,

Where can one learn about high frequency trading ? Can you suggest books that mathematically model various instruments price movements such as stocks, options and futures ?

Thanks in Advance!