Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   CDs or Computer chips to lawmakers (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1265)

logiclife 07-16-2006 02:34 PM

CDs or Computer chips to lawmakers

Hello,

We are in the midst of planning to send something to lawmakers offices to kind of have similar impact the brick campaign is having. Send-a-brick-to-lawmaker has been a hugely successful campaign in support of a wall on the southern border to stop illegal immigration. Its creating a lot of buzz on the capitol hill about the urgency of border security. More details of that campaign can be found Here. To see the pictures of that campaign Click here

What we should do?

Looking at the success of this campaign on the hill, we would like to send something to lawmakers that would signify the importance of legal hi-skills immigrants that this organization represents and ask them to fix the broken legal immigration system.

Two ideas are being considered in core group of IV:

Computer Chips: These cost around 49 cents a piece. Plus mailing expenses. Take into account that we have to send it to atleast 30 influential lawmakers on house and senate side. The only problem could be that chips may look like something bad and not go thru X-ray machines.

CDs: CDs would cost 99 cents a piece if they are printed(with IV material) and some powerpoint/pdf etc recorded in it. Plus mailing expenses. This is probably a better option right now as we can also put a message on these CDs.

Please come up with ideas and share it with us so that we can choose the best path possible.

qualified_trash 07-16-2006 03:58 PM

better idea - maybe

how about we send CDs with the scanned copies of our degree certificates and transcripts with names blacked out ofcourse ?

let the law makers have a look at the type of people they may lose if the GC mess is not cleaned up.

Appu 07-16-2006 04:08 PM

Those guys sent bricks to symbolize the fact that the congress was not doing what they wanted and they were helping get the process started by supplying congress with a brick.

So we should do something similar. What we are saying is: Without us, the skilled immigrants, the US economy would eventually tank. Don't take our word for it, read the Augustine report.

Some suggestions:

1. Send miniature copies of the statue of liberty. Serves to remind them that the US is a nation of immigrants and what it says below the statue: ""Give me your tired, your poor..." May be we can play on these words and engrave or write something like "Give me your engineers, your programmers, Ph.D.s.." on the statue's pedestal.

2. Everyone order copies of the Augustine report and send them to your reps and senators. These are bulky and will get noticed. You can even print them out. This will be a cheaper option.

3. Send the American flag. A big one. Same idea as in (1) - symbol of American freedom, economic strength etc.

4. Send a printout of this photo showing Werner von Braun signing his citizenship paper and send it along with a model of the Apollo. Self explanatory! Illustrates the supreme benefits of skilled immigrants to the US.

Will do more later but got to go now and spur the US economy by working on a Sunday like all hard working skilled immigrants, or "slaves", depending on your point of view. :D

Appu 07-16-2006 04:35 PM

Statue miniatures.

Here's one for under a dollar

Here's a bigger one for $3.

ghost 07-16-2006 04:49 PM

Logiclife,

thanks for this initiative. I'm positive that you will get a number of ideas from IV members. My take on this is that we need to emphasize that American Citizens are for legal immigration.

I cannot speak for everyone else but my co-workers support legal immigration over illegal immigration (CIR). I've personally discussed this issue with a number of my co-workers and they are supportive/sympathetic to our cause (May be we can take a poll of IV members to find out if they are comfortable discussing this issue with their co-workers. IV core can come up with the language that should be used while approaching these co-workers).

If this will fly, we can take a picture with each of our co-workers (american citizens) who are supportive of our cause along with their signatures on the back of the photo. I can get atleast 10 signed-pictures from my co-workers. Once we collect all the pictures, IV can mail them to the respective elected representatives.

Budget-wise this will work but I'm not sure if all IV members are comfortable doing this with their co-workers. Besides, lobbying efforts at work place are considered illegal, so this has to be done on a personal level. May be over lunch or over a drink:).

I'll be working on other ideas in the mean time. Good Luck!

GCBy3000 07-16-2006 05:44 PM

Stratergy is a must

If you see those bricks, it was all sent by citizens opposing illegals. Illegals did not send any bricks to oppose the construction. It will have more weightage when sent by citizens.

Either we have to have some statergy to pull our co-worker citizen as logiclife said to implement our ideas or we have to come up with more creative way of doing this if done by ourselves.

We can come up with idea of other European countries pulling the exisiting H1B's from US and the long term impact of this to US economy.

sobers 07-16-2006 06:10 PM

guys,

this is a great idea. However to get max impact we neeed to do this properly.

one thing is bricks are big and bulky (also cheap) and hence, noticeable. that is why they've had an impact.

We need to send something cheap, big, impactful, and more noticeable- ideas??

neoneo 07-16-2006 07:40 PM

My 2 cents on Ad campaign.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logiclife
Hello,

We are in the midst of planning to send something to lawmakers offices to kind of have similar impact the brick campaign is having. Send-a-brick-to-lawmaker has been a hugely successful campaign in support of a wall on the southern border to stop illegal immigration. Its creating a lot of buzz on the capitol hill about the urgency of border security. More details of that campaign can be found Here. To see the pictures of that campaign Click here

What we should do?

Looking at the success of this campaign on the hill, we would like to send something to lawmakers that would signify the importance of legal hi-skills immigrants that this organization represents and ask them to fix the broken legal immigration system.

Two ideas are being considered in core group of IV:

Computer Chips: These cost around 49 cents a piece. Plus mailing expenses. Take into account that we have to send it to atleast 30 influential lawmakers on house and senate side. The only problem could be that chips may look like something bad and not go thru X-ray machines.

CDs: CDs would cost 99 cents a piece if they are printed(with IV material) and some powerpoint/pdf etc recorded in it. Plus mailing expenses. This is probably a better option right now as we can also put a message on these CDs.

Please come up with ideas and share it with us so that we can choose the best path possible.

Yikes ~~! Bad Move, It's an excellent idea but to send Computer chips or CD not the best idea coz unfortunately the senators / house reps arent really the most tech savy people around. I wouldnt be surprised to see FBI land up on someones doorstep coz that person sent a computer chip in an envelope :D :D Also, CD is something they wouldnt really have the time to open and listen or watch.

My 2 cents would be to send them a small booklet ( bunch of bound papers ) with the list of immigrant CEO's /CTO's/ Founders/Professors people in the news. basically a media campaign and against each cofounder the money and jobs USA would LOOSE if these companies / research was to be done in their own country.

Senators / house reps understand numbers and this will make more sense than just harping about how H1 / GC help the economy.

sample would be :
Webex
founders : Subrah Iyar and Min Zhu; Revenue lost to India/China: $300 MM; Jobs lost to India/China : 1800

Qualcomm CEO : Jain
LSI Logic : CEO Talwalker

we can just add up Hotmail, Google, Yahoo, juniper, Sycamore networks, Magma. Apart from that there are bunch of mid size tech( worth few hundered Million $) companies in the bay area.

I'm sure they'll be lot of immigrants from England, Australia, Israel, Hungary, france etc, other than India and China who have made a difference.

Before we know it, you'll be surprised to see that the jobs lost would be in hundereds of thousands and revenues lost would be in billions of dollars.

dixie 07-16-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoneo
Yikes ~~! Bad Move, It's an excellent idea but to send Computer chips or CD not the best idea coz unfortunately the senators / house reps arent really the most tech savy people around. I wouldnt be surprised to see FBI land up on someones doorstep coz that person sent a computer chip in an envelope :D :D Also, CD is something they wouldnt really have the time to open and listen or watch.

My 2 cents would be to send them a small booklet ( bunch of bound papers ) with the list of immigrant CEO's /CTO's/ Founders/Professors people in the news. basically a media campaign and against each cofounder the money and jobs USA would LOOSE if these companies / research was to be done in their own country.

Senators / house reps understand numbers and this will make more sense than just harping about how H1 / GC help the economy.

sample would be :
Webex
founders : Subrah Iyar and Min Zhu; Revenue lost to India/China: $300 MM; Jobs lost to India/China : 1800

Qualcomm CEO : Jain
LSI Logic : CEO Talwalker

we can just add up Hotmail, Google, Yahoo, juniper, Sycamore networks, Magma. Apart from that there are bunch of mid size tech( worth few hundered Million $) companies in the bay area.

I'm sure they'll be lot of immigrants from England, Australia, Israel, Hungary, france etc, other than India and China who have made a difference.

Before we know it, you'll be surprised to see that the jobs lost would be in hundereds of thousands and revenues lost would be in billions of dollars.

Actually thats not a bad idea at all. And I totally agree that senators and congressmen (or their staff for that matter) wouldnt be the most tech savvy folks around. In fact, competeamerica.org already has such a compilation of foreign born entrepreneurs and the companies they started. All we need to do is add to the list if possible, and calculate the number of jobs they created. But there is one point to note though : not all those foreign born wizs came through the EB route.Many of them were born in a foreign country and accompanied their parents to the USA when they were kids (like sergey brin and jerry yang). I am not sure including them would be factually accurate to support our cause.

Anyways, one thing to keep in mind is it is very hard for us to have as dramatic an effect as the brick campaign, simply because of our small numbers and the fact that it is US citizens sending those bricks. But we can do what we can to publicise the contribution of EB immigrants.

gsc999 07-16-2006 10:02 PM

Send some strings

Send some strings!

- Strings to tie those bricks sent earlier to the legs of American economy.
- Strings to tie hands of people who innovate.
- Strings to tie legs of people who want to escape misery and poverty and look to America as the beacon of hope

Protectionist measures like building a wall never last, e.g.:
- Wall between East and West Germany
- Great Wall of China
- Iron curtain of erstwhile Soviet Union
- Proposed wall between US and rest of the world.

Human spirit is insurmountable and will find ways to overcome such barriers. US legislative branches have to display leadership and decide if that spirit will be kept kindled in US or be unwelcome and be moved to some other more welcome part of the World.

pdakwala 07-17-2006 02:47 PM

Everyone,

Please feel free to post your thoughts. It is going to help us to decide what to do.

Thanks

nb_des 07-17-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdakwala
Everyone,

Please feel free to post your thoughts. It is going to help us to decide what to do.

Thanks

Send some momento with words like " Help us in taking america to a new height in innovation and technical leadership"

days_go_by 07-17-2006 03:16 PM

I agree raising awareness among lawmakers is avery important, but are CDs and chips the right media?
I don't expect lawmakers to read every piece of mail we send, but staff members are a lawmaker's eyes and ears. We should catch their attention.
I think it would be hard for us to grab their attention with CDs and chips, they maynot view it at all, because of danger of viruses etc. It might get help up at some security check. And if they decide to ignore it, they can easily trash it.
The adavantage of sending something physical (like a brick) is it catches immediate attention and you cannot easily trash it. If it lies around in a room, it will keep reminiding the officials of the various issues.
My suggestion is we should send them reports, presentations etc in paper format that they can easily view.

qualified_trash 07-17-2006 03:35 PM

playing Devil's Advocate

I am only playing Devils's advocate to "neoneo" - so please no fighting here!!

The booklet idea, on the face of it, is good. However, the assumption that those companies would still be founded and the revenue be lost to countries such as India/China/Wherever, is incorrect.

Someone may very easily (and probably correctly) argue that the very reason those immigrants came here and founded the companies was because it was next to impossible to do so in their home countries.

We will be better off, IMHO, to present what each one of us in the group (people impacted by GC retrogression and DOL processing vagaries) brings to the country in terms of education, ability to retain high paying jobs directly resulting in higher payment of taxes, ability to give to the Social Security pool thereby increasing solvency of the same and last but not the least contributing to the economy, culture and overall development of the USA to help it maintain its position at the top of the global heap.........

We telling the lawmakers, give us the GC or else.......... we will go to our home countries is, not exactly, but, comes close to being blackmail :-))

rujulm 07-17-2006 03:47 PM

Degree Certificates Skil Act

I welcome the initiative of the core team to raise awareness in congress and sensitivise them to our issues.

I have the following point:
Whatever we do or send, the message should be POSITIVE and tell them HOW THEIR PASSING SKIL/CIR HELPS THEIR DISTRICS AND COUNTRY.

With all respect, I think sending icons such as Statue of Liberty or a CD would be less effective because these are icons that may not have the same connotations in their minds as we hope.

I on the hand support the idea given by qualified_trash.

I propose every memeber of IV and every one else we can reach, who has a US advanced degree, is on a non-immigrant visa, (and would qualify for benefits of Skil act, were it passed) to send a color photocopy of his/her PhD or Masters certificate. I think the name should NOT be crossed out as anonymous communication to the congresspersons carry no weight and there should be no harm in proudly identifying to this cause. Moreover, education information is public anyway and would not result in any loss to privacy.

This would send a proud but not cocky message to the congress in a simple and iconic way. Here are the people that Skil act can retain in the USA if it is passed.

Major impetus of the Skil act is to retain US educated foriegn workes (many of us) and removal of them from the visa queue will go a long way to reducing the queue for the rest of skilled workers with non-US degrees.

P.S. IV core could suggest a target list of congress persons to send these degrees and perhaps draft a format cover letter, which could be personalized by each sender.

WhatheHeck 07-17-2006 03:51 PM

After seeing August bulletin

Edited

qualified_trash 07-17-2006 04:01 PM

I can see that EB2 is Unavailable. However, common sense suggests that it will move forward quickly once October rolls around, unlike EB3 (which was 15APR01 and now has gone to 01APR01). relax. also, do keep in mind that the lawmakers and their associates may read our website. Please maintain decorum.

eagerr2i 07-17-2006 04:13 PM

The spin should be positive one.. period. We should not send the message that these highly skilled immigrants will leave if they do not get their GC's soon and the US economy is going to lose out because of them. The idea of sending CD is good but the interaction I have had with congressional offices, I got a feel that it is the staff that handles the mail and communications etc and I am not sure if the CD's content will make it to the lawmakers..

I like the idea of sending graduate degree ceritficates of members along with a letter urging the law makers to support SKIL. The message should be that these individuals could be a lot more productive on this land if there is an increase in the options they have, which would eventally lead to more job creation & employment in USA. It might be worthwhile to cite a few cases where the immigrant started the companies which are highly successful.
www.tie.org might be a good place to look for stats and companies started by immigrants.

pappu 07-17-2006 04:49 PM

here is my take on this--

- its definately a good approach and we can do something here.

- We need to really brainstorm on this. The brief needs to be more specific and the idea needs to to be very BIG in scope, impact and innovation.

- whatever we do needs to create enough buzz in the media and talk amongst people on the hill.

- the idea needs to reflect our innovative, highly thoughtful and intelligent approach to get lawmakers attention.

- It needs to show that IV is an organization of best and the brightest and denying their cause would adversely affect US interest.

- we need some great marketing ideas here. People with marketing background pls. pitch in here.

- I dont think what we send should be low cost below a dollar. Since there may be 200- 300 maximum items to be sent. (lawmakers). The price can go a bit higher.

- if this is something that senators can bring or talk about it in senate /house its a big bonus for us. If they can display in their office proudly, its a great piece publicity for IV.

xu1 07-17-2006 05:08 PM

diploma. publications. patents. corporate titles....

I think:

whoever has a US advanced degree, send in a copy of your diploma;
whoever has any advanced degree with a decent list of publications, send in your C.V.
whoever has authored corporate patents, send in your US/foreign patent papers
whoever holds corporate titles, send in your resume
whoever is a college professor, research or teaching college, send in your CV

pappu 07-17-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xu1
I think:

whoever has any advanced degree with a decent list of publications, send in your C.V.

good idea to create impact and buzz.

after getting such documents IV core can get color photocopies done and make a cover sheet for each book. then at kinkos get the books bound. (same way as the lawyers get it done when they file EB1 or extraordinary cases with lot of documents)

The book needs to be presentable. It will create enough impact on the hill and buzz in the media.

vallabhu 07-17-2006 05:40 PM

I agree sending CV’s or Certificates is definitely a very good idea but collecting and organising them from all th qualified members may be a Herculean task and may not be practical in given short time we have, As we are aware that these are staff and not directly to Lawmakers, I would suggest that we send some thing which is decorative and they can leave it on the desk ex: - Pen stand, US flag or Statue of liberty any thing where we can print our message.

pappu 07-17-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallabhu
______just kidding, I agree sending CV’s or Certificates is definitely a very good idea but collecting and organising them from all th qualified members may be a Herculean task and may not be practical in given short time we have, As we are aware that these are staff and not directly to Lawmakers, I would suggest that we send some thing which is decorative and they can leave it on the desk ex: - Pen stand, US flag or Statue of liberty any thing where we can print our message.

no i think it needs to sensationalize the issue and hit the nail right in the head. it is all about showing how me make this america competitive with our knowledge, skills and contributions.

sobers 07-17-2006 06:43 PM

An idea - Send them books!

Earlier I said we should send lawmakers something big, bulky, and impactful (i.e. noticeable). So here's an idea: Send em books!! After all, this is what distinguishes EB Immigrants- their high level of education and skills.

What kind of books? it could be field-specific calculus books, engineering mechanics or some other text. A cover letter should accompany that indicates what kind of people we are, and what they will lose if this process is not reformed soon.

Another idea is to send them this following book which talks about impact of high skilled immigration:
http://www.rienner.com/viewbook.cfm?BOOKID=1519

Other books could include "Flight Capital" by Dr Richard Florida or Dr Anna Lee Saxenian's study "Brain Circulation: How High-Skill Immigration Makes Everyone Better Off" published by the prestigious Brookings Institution
http://www.brookings.org/press/REVIE...2/saxenian.htm

Also include a full page color flyer of this:
http://innovateamerica.org/innovateamerica_ad_full.asp

krassib 07-18-2006 04:40 AM

Highly Skilled Immigrants are also Excellent Citizens

Quote:

Originally Posted by xu1
I think:

Hi All,

Many good ideas were brought in this thread.

I also want to underline that most of us are also excellent citizens. Yes, we bring to USA our culture that in addition to our knowledge and high skills shows respect in all people, adds to the life of the communities. All of us can give an examples from communities that we have helped - everyone in different areas. Let eveyone sends to the Senate whatever he or she thinks is best in, outside of work! Maybe you organized event, or soccer game or coached a team! Show the simple truth in addition to our high professional skills! We as parents of our children bring to this country the intelligence it needs for its future, we bring with us the way we lead, the positive way we deal everyday with the people.

Personal example: I have coached 2 seasons boys soccer team (regardless of the difficulties I had initially with the English terminology),my children are all excellent students and leaders in their schools (I have proofs). They are both playing sports (compared to some kids that are doing drugs at school). My wife also has an advanced degree that she cannot exersice because of H4. Does the US government realize what it does when there is a high chanse of loosing not only the H1-B people, but also all their families that already have shown that they are bringing only positive in the US civil life. Do we need to show more evidence?

How can we prove this personal diplomas and from family members, picture from school awards ceremonies, coaching certificates, references from the US Citizens in your community etc.

krassib

ghost 07-18-2006 10:26 AM

Letters of personal stories (community involvement), our degree achievements and the statue of liberty idea mentioned earlier with a punch line should be the most practical initiative.

IV core can some up with the language for the letter (leaving a blank paragraph to include our personal stories) to send. We all can mail our degree documents and achievements to IV mail box (do we have one?) and the punch line can be decided upon brainstorming among IV Core.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krassib
Hi All,

Many good ideas were brought in this thread.

I also want to underline that most of us are also excellent citizens. Yes, we bring to USA our culture that in addition to our knowledge and high skills shows respect in all people, adds to the life of the communities. All of us can give an examples from communities that we have helped - everyone in different areas. Let eveyone sends to the Senate whatever he or she thinks is best in, outside of work! Maybe you organized event, or soccer game or coached a team! Show the simple truth in addition to our high professional skills! We as parents of our children bring to this country the intelligence it needs for its future, we bring with us the way we lead, the positive way we deal everyday with the people.

Personal example: I have coached 2 seasons boys soccer team (regardless of the difficulties I had initially with the English terminology),my children are all excellent students and leaders in their schools (I have proofs). They are both playing sports (compared to some kids that are doing drugs at school). My wife also has an advanced degree that she cannot exersice because of H4. Does the US government realize what it does when there is a high chanse of loosing not only the H1-B people, but also all their families that already have shown that they are bringing only positive in the US civil life. Do we need to show more evidence?

How can we prove this personal diplomas and from family members, picture from school awards ceremonies, coaching certificates, references from the US Citizens in your community etc.

krassib

yabadaba 07-18-2006 10:42 AM

send a poster board

scan hundreds and thousands of US diplomas from retorgressed people reduce the size to a business card size. make a collage (all diplomas stiched together in a photo editing software in a grid format) print out multiple copies at kinkos (lets say 33" x 44" E size)...mount it on a poster board and mail it to every rep/senator.

mrajatish 07-18-2006 11:04 AM

Great Ideas

Excellent Ideas - please keep posting, I will collect the ideas and make a document out of it for IV core to discuss alternative strategies.

snowang 07-18-2006 11:12 AM

Photos

I agree with the idea of sending in diplomas, certificates and cv instead of heavy textbooks, research papers or statue of liberty souvenirs. But rather than just sending in black and white texts on paper that are lifeless, I think we should each come up with a creative way to present all these materials in a context where "people" are the focus.

For example, (a not so creative way) we can take a picture holding our diploma and professional certificates (or while coaching a youth team in the community), and under the picture put a few simple but eye-catching bullets of our contributions to the US economy and communities, such as the name of our research publication and a short sentence on its impact, the awards we won in the graduate school, the particular technological innovations we have initiated, etc. This should be fairly easy to do in Photoshop or other image editing software. Of course we need to make sure they can read the important texts on the diploma. We can print it out on high quality photo paper and include a cover letter to indicate the purpose.

This way it's not only brief and easy to read, but eye-catching and plays out the "people" that the bill will be impacting. If we get a lot of this done, IV can even bound these pages with photos into a book for our future efforts.

Some people may be concerned about showing the real person photo, but at this point of the GC torture I don't even care if my picture gets used because this effort is darn important.

Just my 2 cents :)

qualified_trash 07-18-2006 11:18 AM

awesome!!

I spoke with a member of IV last night (logiclife) and suggested something on these lines........ I think logiclife will present the same today - or I hope logiclife does, and, we should probably have some critical mass for this idea.

keggananda 07-18-2006 11:20 AM

Some ads in Indian Newspapers may Help

Now that IV has the resources.. Full page ads in Indian Newspapers such as
Times of India, Hindu etc featuring the immigration mess here could be put up.

These ads should highlight these fact in bold
1. American Dream is Dead. (Title)
2. Endless wait for Green Cards
4. Arbitrary denials of petitions, name check black hole
3. H1-B indentured labor
4. You pay taxes and do not receive benefits

These ads should actively discourage professionals from coming to the US. Highlight the fact that the US system is extremely unfair, discriminatory, and inefficient to Skilled people. You can quote typical out of pocket expenses that people incur in failed green card applications. They are better off going to countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

We can then post copies of these ads to US law makers. Perhaps this will jolt some of them

yabadaba 07-18-2006 11:21 AM

option

we could make a website too that has these pixels (made up of diplomas) arranged to represent statue of liberty or something. clicking on each pixel will enlarge the diploma

sathweb 07-18-2006 11:23 AM

Signatures from Coworkers

Here is something I can think of.

Write a letter explaining your problems related to immigration; take signatures from your coworkers (citizens) and send it to lawmakers. This way, we will have at least one citizen supporting one potential legal immigrant.

avijay 07-18-2006 11:33 AM

I like the idea of a booklet

CDs and Computer chips sounds like a bad idea to me as well. I would prefer a brochure of some sort.

avijay 07-18-2006 11:39 AM

No negative propaganda... PLEASE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keggananda
Now that IV has the resources.. Full page ads in Indian Newspapers such as
Times of India, Hindu etc featuring the immigration mess here could be put up.

These ads should highlight these fact in bold
1. American Dream is Dead. (Title)
2. Endless wait for Green Cards
4. Arbitrary denials of petitions, name check black hole
3. H1-B indentured labor
4. You pay taxes and do not receive benefits

These ads should actively discourage professionals from coming to the US. Highlight the fact that the US system is extremely unfair, discriminatory, and inefficient to Skilled people. You can quote typical out of pocket expenses that people incur in failed green card applications. They are better off going to countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

We can then post copies of these ads to US law makers. Perhaps this will jolt some of them

This is a terrible idea. You will hurt your chances more with actions like this. Feel free to convey this message personally to your family and firends back in India but negative propaganda with Immigraion Voice's sponsorship does not dwell well with me. If IV resorts to such measures, then I am unwilling to make more donations and am not committed to support this cause going forward.

knnmbd 07-18-2006 11:51 AM

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by avijay
This is a terrible idea. You will hurt your chances more with actions like this. Feel free to convey this message personally to your family and firends back in India but negative propaganda with Immigraion Voice's sponsorship does not dwell well with me. If IV resorts to such measures, then I am unwilling to make more donations and am not committed to support this cause going forward.

Agree,
Please keep Indian Newspapers (a disaster waiting to happen), Indian Embassy, Indian politicians (we have had these suggestions before) visiting U.S and high achievers of Indian origin who are U.S citizens now (they don't give a damn) out of this whole thing. WE NEED TO LOBBY THE HOUSE AND ONLY WE NEED TO DO IT, WITH IV, WITH PERSONAL ACCUONTS HOW RETROGRESSION HURTS OUR CAREERS AND ANY OTHER "APPROVED" IV MEANS.

velan 07-18-2006 11:54 AM

Get american citizien's (voters) support.

We need to get support from american citizens (voters) to get good treatment from senaters and congressmen. So, getting sign from co-worker for supporting SKIL bill and send them to politicians will work.

gg_ny 07-18-2006 12:16 PM

www.nationalpostdoc.org/

Hi,
I am repeating the following statements because of the importance: many professor level scientists are pro-immigration as 1) they themselves are immigrants 2) they emply at least 1 or 2 foreign students and researchers in their group. The above url points to an association of post doctoral fellows and they have reps in almost all research level universities. Garnering their support would get access to highly productive, federally funded researchers to support SKIL bill. Also, local IV admin members can make campus interviews for the CD. Next, even if there is a list of number of immigrant scientists who got GC or Czship in last 10 years for each institution, number of publications and patents they have should be a boosting statistics for SKIL. I HAVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE ANALYSIS IN THAT VEIN SO FAR.

Next, If IV admin person in NY/NJ or commutable to long island, NY can send a PM to me, I will put you in touch with the office of a Nobel laureate (the best known name in biology for that matter) who is associated with 100 immigrant/foreign born scientists on a day to day basis. I can try all the way to put IV in touch with the office and for professional reasons stop there. Let me know.

keggananda 07-18-2006 12:19 PM

First of all, if it hurts us, our families, our careers, they dont care. They dont care about citizens ( Katrina case in point), why will they care about us non-citizens. They will care only if it hurts them in some way. For example, if they see that US is no-longer viewed as a country of choice for immigrants.

WaldenPond 07-18-2006 12:22 PM

Hello knnmbd,

I have sent you an email and a private message. Could you please check that and respond?

Thanks