Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   CDs or Computer chips to lawmakers (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1265)

keggananda 07-18-2006 11:20 AM

Some ads in Indian Newspapers may Help

Now that IV has the resources.. Full page ads in Indian Newspapers such as
Times of India, Hindu etc featuring the immigration mess here could be put up.

These ads should highlight these fact in bold
1. American Dream is Dead. (Title)
2. Endless wait for Green Cards
4. Arbitrary denials of petitions, name check black hole
3. H1-B indentured labor
4. You pay taxes and do not receive benefits

These ads should actively discourage professionals from coming to the US. Highlight the fact that the US system is extremely unfair, discriminatory, and inefficient to Skilled people. You can quote typical out of pocket expenses that people incur in failed green card applications. They are better off going to countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

We can then post copies of these ads to US law makers. Perhaps this will jolt some of them

yabadaba 07-18-2006 11:21 AM

option

we could make a website too that has these pixels (made up of diplomas) arranged to represent statue of liberty or something. clicking on each pixel will enlarge the diploma

sathweb 07-18-2006 11:23 AM

Signatures from Coworkers

Here is something I can think of.

Write a letter explaining your problems related to immigration; take signatures from your coworkers (citizens) and send it to lawmakers. This way, we will have at least one citizen supporting one potential legal immigrant.

avijay 07-18-2006 11:33 AM

I like the idea of a booklet

CDs and Computer chips sounds like a bad idea to me as well. I would prefer a brochure of some sort.

avijay 07-18-2006 11:39 AM

No negative propaganda... PLEASE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keggananda
Now that IV has the resources.. Full page ads in Indian Newspapers such as
Times of India, Hindu etc featuring the immigration mess here could be put up.

These ads should highlight these fact in bold
1. American Dream is Dead. (Title)
2. Endless wait for Green Cards
4. Arbitrary denials of petitions, name check black hole
3. H1-B indentured labor
4. You pay taxes and do not receive benefits

These ads should actively discourage professionals from coming to the US. Highlight the fact that the US system is extremely unfair, discriminatory, and inefficient to Skilled people. You can quote typical out of pocket expenses that people incur in failed green card applications. They are better off going to countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

We can then post copies of these ads to US law makers. Perhaps this will jolt some of them

This is a terrible idea. You will hurt your chances more with actions like this. Feel free to convey this message personally to your family and firends back in India but negative propaganda with Immigraion Voice's sponsorship does not dwell well with me. If IV resorts to such measures, then I am unwilling to make more donations and am not committed to support this cause going forward.

knnmbd 07-18-2006 11:51 AM

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by avijay
This is a terrible idea. You will hurt your chances more with actions like this. Feel free to convey this message personally to your family and firends back in India but negative propaganda with Immigraion Voice's sponsorship does not dwell well with me. If IV resorts to such measures, then I am unwilling to make more donations and am not committed to support this cause going forward.

Agree,
Please keep Indian Newspapers (a disaster waiting to happen), Indian Embassy, Indian politicians (we have had these suggestions before) visiting U.S and high achievers of Indian origin who are U.S citizens now (they don't give a damn) out of this whole thing. WE NEED TO LOBBY THE HOUSE AND ONLY WE NEED TO DO IT, WITH IV, WITH PERSONAL ACCUONTS HOW RETROGRESSION HURTS OUR CAREERS AND ANY OTHER "APPROVED" IV MEANS.

velan 07-18-2006 11:54 AM

Get american citizien's (voters) support.

We need to get support from american citizens (voters) to get good treatment from senaters and congressmen. So, getting sign from co-worker for supporting SKIL bill and send them to politicians will work.

gg_ny 07-18-2006 12:16 PM

www.nationalpostdoc.org/

Hi,
I am repeating the following statements because of the importance: many professor level scientists are pro-immigration as 1) they themselves are immigrants 2) they emply at least 1 or 2 foreign students and researchers in their group. The above url points to an association of post doctoral fellows and they have reps in almost all research level universities. Garnering their support would get access to highly productive, federally funded researchers to support SKIL bill. Also, local IV admin members can make campus interviews for the CD. Next, even if there is a list of number of immigrant scientists who got GC or Czship in last 10 years for each institution, number of publications and patents they have should be a boosting statistics for SKIL. I HAVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE ANALYSIS IN THAT VEIN SO FAR.

Next, If IV admin person in NY/NJ or commutable to long island, NY can send a PM to me, I will put you in touch with the office of a Nobel laureate (the best known name in biology for that matter) who is associated with 100 immigrant/foreign born scientists on a day to day basis. I can try all the way to put IV in touch with the office and for professional reasons stop there. Let me know.

keggananda 07-18-2006 12:19 PM

First of all, if it hurts us, our families, our careers, they dont care. They dont care about citizens ( Katrina case in point), why will they care about us non-citizens. They will care only if it hurts them in some way. For example, if they see that US is no-longer viewed as a country of choice for immigrants.

WaldenPond 07-18-2006 12:22 PM

Hello knnmbd,

I have sent you an email and a private message. Could you please check that and respond?

Thanks

pdakwala 07-18-2006 02:35 PM

Needs More Participation

Hello everyone,

There are number of new and good ideas that came from experts like you. So far we have around 14-16 ideas. We want more ideas so that we can choose the best one.

The whole world knows us as high tech workers. So please do some critical thinking and post more creative idea as early as possible.

Cheers

asanghi 07-18-2006 02:47 PM

Documentary / Comedy show

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdakwala
Hello everyone,

There are number of new and good ideas that came from experts like you. So far we have around 14-16 ideas. We want more ideas so that we can choose the best one.

The whole world knows us as high tech workers. So please do some critical thinking and post more creative idea as early as possible.

Cheers

How about making a small documentary / stand up comedy show .. and poke fun at whole situation while highlighting our issues. Something like Farenhiet 9-11.

I believe that a comedic satires if done right, can send a very powerful message. Also if the word catches on about how good it is, may be all senators and congressmen might even be waiting for it.

I guess, we can have a good content created and do some press releases about how we chose a different path to highlight our problems, kind of a teaser. In fact, we could sell copies of this to raise funds for immigration voice.

abhaykul 07-18-2006 04:01 PM

The 50,000 visa numbers allocated for Schedule A cases are reaching their limit. A cutoff date could be established in October 2006. Once these numbers have been allocated or used up, the category in the Visa Bulletin will end and the Schedule A cases will become part of the regular EB3 category, subject to lengthy delays in being processed.

SOURCE: MURTHY.COM

May be this is good news for us ? Schedule A employers have both will and power. No body cares for High tech workers. IV's core team should get in touch with Schedule A employers(like Hospitals etc) and also will have to make sure that S 1932 is not repeated.

eb3_nepa 07-18-2006 04:05 PM

Contacting our Universties

This applies to everyone of us on here who have MASTER's Degrees from US Universities. Maybe we should write letters to our respective Deans, explaining our situations. Maybe we should let them know that the US Master's Degree isin't worth the paper it is printed on if:

a) After doing that degree you get/move to a job of your choice, because of visa constraints. &
b) If a person who has done a Master's in the US has absolutely NO advantage over someone who does not, as opposed to a PhD, who has a MAJOR advantage.

If after spending close to $30-50K for a Master's degree in the US, if you enjoy NO priviliges towards getting a Permanent residency in the country, then maybe there is no point in doing an MS in the states.

I am not trying to divide and rule here. If the master's people get exempt from the quota system, then that leaves more numbers for the non-US masters people.