Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/index.php)
-   Recent Blogs (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   San Jose Mercury News Publishes Anti-Immigration Op-Ed Calling For Immigration Morato (https://archive.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=809167)

Blog Feeds 12-18-2009 11:50 AM

San Jose Mercury News Publishes Anti-Immigration Op-Ed Calling For Immigration Morato

Silicon Valley Immigration Lawyer Blog Has Just Posted the Following:
Yesterday I was taken aback when I turned to the editorial page of the San Jose Mercury News, the primary newspaper of Silicon Valley, and found an Op-Ed by Patrick J. Buchanan calling for a moratorium on ALL LEGAL immigration. He argues that the LEGAL immigrants are taking jobs from U.S. workers, and that by barring all U.S. immigration the economy can recover faster.

Legal immigration is not the same as "illegal" immigration. He is not talking about doing something about the high number of undocumented people living in the U.S. By calling for a halt to legal immigration, he would stop the husbands and wives of U.S. citizens from immigrating to the U.S. He would prevent the children and step-children of U.S. citizens from coming to the U.S. He would stop the parents of U.S. citizens from immigrating. He would stop U.S. citizens from adopting children from abroad. He would prevent those who came as refugees from obtaining permanent residence. He would turn away the brilliant minds who qualify to immigrate by being awarded the equivalent of a Nobel Prize.

More...

vvr 12-18-2009 10:57 PM

Pls. send your feedback to letters@mercurynews.com.

I called them today and cancelled my subscription today after 3 yrs of continued subscription. It's very ironic of mercury news to publish a one sided article against immigrants given their subscriber base.

a1b2c3 12-19-2009 04:09 AM

These articles are nothing new. Given the current state of affairs, its only to be expected because people like you and me are actually displacing some jobs whether we admit it or not.
However, what these folks don't seem to get is that outsourcing is a much bigger culprit. And so go after the business owners who outsource to keep businesses profitable and not target a handful of legal immigrants. And legal immigrants are not responsible for the housing mess! Go after the loan defaulters. Catch the greedy banks who dished out bad loans!!

The unemployment numbers are very high and its spoiling people's holiday season and also their moods. A lot of American citizens don't have a choice to work anywhere else. That clouds their judgement and makes them irrational.Please try to understand the opposite point of view and just ignore these articles instead of starting threads on IV.

return_to_india 12-19-2009 04:36 AM

California unemployment quite high.
I have my backup as India ( i will sell one of my land properties there and survive ,
also no worry about medical costs - leading cause of bankrupt americans ), but what
about the citizen here, where do they go to survive ?!

jediknight 12-19-2009 06:01 AM

We don't displace jobs

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1b2c3 (Post 1160326)
Given the current state of affairs, its only to be expected because people like you and me are actually displacing some jobs whether we admit it or not.

If we were not present there would not be jobs for the current american colleagues of ours.

If Andy Grove was not allowed to immigrate, there would be no Intel in the USA.

If Sergey Brin was not allowed to immigrate, there would be no Google in the USA.

If Charles Simonyi and others was not allowed to immigrate, there would be no Xerox Star, no Mac and no Windows in the USA.

If .. <Add other names here>> there would be no Silicon Valley.

I and other outsiders have created countless jobs and maintained America's technological superiority.

... So I respectfully disagree with your statement about us displacing jobs :)

- JK

mmk123 12-19-2009 06:41 AM

After near to unsuccessful attempt to spoil healthcare, *R* team is getting ready to spoil immigration reform efforts. Writer is well-known for talking baseless, stupid and racist comments. But, unfortunately the political atmosphere is such that even SJ news-paper couldn't resist posting this. Fasten your seat belts and get ready for even more bumpier ride than health reform.

a1b2c3 12-19-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jediknight (Post 1160869)
If we were not present there would not be jobs for the current american colleagues of ours.

If Andy Grove was not allowed to immigrate, there would be no Intel in the USA.

If Sergey Brin was not allowed to immigrate, there would be no Google in the USA.

If Charles Simonyi and others was not allowed to immigrate, there would be no Xerox Star, no Mac and no Windows in the USA.

If .. <Add other names here>> there would be no Silicon Valley.

I and other outsiders have created countless jobs and maintained America's technological superiority.

... So I respectfully disagree with your statement about us displacing jobs :)

- JK

ok. convince yourself then, that you are all of the above names you just rattled off.

gimmemygreen 12-19-2009 12:10 PM

This OP ED is BS

This is Pat B 's broken record. He has lost all his credibility during all these years of immigrant bashing. He can write as many of them but other than red necks, no one is impressed. He is 71 years old and in couple years he will be gone. Old age brings some mental issues with it.

gc28262 12-19-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1b2c3 (Post 1160326)
These articles are nothing new. Given the current state of affairs, its only to be expected because people like you and me are actually displacing some jobs whether we admit it or not.
However, what these folks don't seem to get is that outsourcing is a much bigger culprit. And so go after the business owners who outsource to keep businesses profitable and not target a handful of legal immigrants. And legal immigrants are not responsible for the housing mess! Go after the loan defaulters. Catch the greedy banks who dished out bad loans!!

The unemployment numbers are very high and its spoiling people's holiday season and also their moods. A lot of American citizens don't have a choice to work anywhere else. That clouds their judgement and makes them irrational.Please try to understand the opposite point of view and just ignore these articles instead of starting threads on IV.

If you think you displaced some americans, please give back their jobs and leave the country.:rolleyes:. Your GC status need not stop you from doing so.

a1b2c3 12-19-2009 01:39 PM

you do that first

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc28262 (Post 1162908)
If you think you displaced some americans, please give back their jobs and leave the country.:rolleyes:. Your GC status need not stop you from doing so.

Not before you give yours back. you are a temp anyways. you don't even have to surrender your gc.

gc28262 12-19-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1b2c3 (Post 1162909)
Not before you give yours back. you are a temp anyways. you don't even have to surrender your gc.

Practice what you preach.
BTW myself and majority of members on this forum hasn't replaced any American worker.

a1b2c3 12-19-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc28262 (Post 1163045)
Practice what you preach.
BTW myself and majority of members on this forum hasn't replaced any American worker.

Yeah, right :D! BTW your long hopeless wait for gc has driven you crazy :D

ca_immigrant 12-19-2009 09:32 PM

good one -;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmemygreen (Post 1162501)
This is Pat B 's broken record. He has lost all his credibility during all these years of immigrant bashing. He can write as many of them but other than red necks, no one is impressed. He is 71 years old and in couple years he will be gone. Old age brings some mental issues with it.

...lol......old age brings some mental issues....I like that ;)

take it easy folks....just ignore what Pat B@#$#@% wrote.......
only a jacka** (who probably does not want to work hard) like Pat would be worried about loosing his job to others.....