Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold
Default News Article Thread - 3

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...t=3900&page=88

Please post all news articles in this thread.
Recd green card in June 2007
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold

This is the new thread for news articles pertaining to Immigration and Immigration related legislation, congressional action and regulatory actions. Please write to reporters of each of these stories requesting them coverage of our issues.
=======================
Sample letter to the reporter:
-------------------
Dear __________
Please allow to me express my dissatisfaction with the powers that be. My dissatisfaction is on a subject that is less likely to be familiar with most of your readers. It is not given the coverage in mainstream media it deserves.
It is the subject of legal immigration. That is not a typo. I do not want to talk about illegal immigration, the cause of so much controversy; but rather its less evil and more law-abiding twin.
On the one hand, I wish legal immigration would cause its own controversy. At least that would create some form of discussion and debate around it. It would force the eternally sacred tax payers to pay attention. It would force the more obsequious and attention seeking politicians something else to take a stand on. For at least as long as the soundbites last. Mostly, though, it would give me and my other green card applicants-in-arms something to hang a morsel of hope on. Instead of being relegated to the state of oblivion it is now.
Legal immigrants fall into various categories but they generally all follow the same course. We are allowed into the US on some kind of temporary visa (example, H1B work visa) and in time we apply for a change in status (i.e., a green card) that will allow us to stay in the country indefinitely and with far more freedoms than the temporary visa allowed. This green card application is reviewed, as it should be, to make sure that the applicant is worthy of permanent residency status. Does the applicant provide a valuable contribution to the country? Or would they be a burden to the US economy? Have they obeyed the law? Or are they a threat to national security?
The frustration sets in with the process that is set in place. The word ‘process’ implies movement. It suggests that your paperwork will progress through the various stages. The word ‘process’ puts a far too optimistic outlook on our plight. We need another word. What word could better describe this situation?
Stagnant. And circuitous. Heartbreakingly endless. Shrouded in mystery. Dispiriting to tens of thousands.
Who are these tens of thousands and why should your readers care about them? They range in age, ethnicity, background, and values. You can consider them a mini-melting pot within the already existing cauldron. All of them, however, have certain things in common with each other as well as with Americans.
Like all law-abiding Americans, they pay taxes. Like all hardworking Americans, they provide valuable contributions to American companies. And just like their American counterparts, they give the best of themselves each and everyday. They adapt to American culture by learning English - if they did not already have an excellent command of the language. They help fill the gap in engineering and science that American high schools and colleges cannot. A trend that is so worrisome to parents, teachers and politicians that there are several initiatives in place to get the US back on track. In the meantime, it is the legal immigrants that help American companies to remain competitive in the global economy. Did I mention that they pay taxes. They cannot vote, though. “No taxation without representation.” Wasn’t there an altercation based on this very premise a few years ago? I digress.
We were talking about the green card ‘process’. Applicants can wait up to 7 or 8 or more years before being granted a green card. In the meantime? They are limited as to who they can work for. If they change employers, this will require the process to start over again. They are limited as far as how far they can get promoted. If their promotion leads them to be categorized differently, it may mean that they have to start the process all over again. They are limited to where in the country they can work. A change in address can also be cause to restart the process. Generally, spouses of applicants are not allowed to work until green card is granted.
The picture that I hope I am painting is one in which lives are on hold. For years. Time is not the only sacrifice, though. There are lost career opportunities, lost earnings, indefinitely delayed life decisions. Patience gives way to frustration. And another year goes by. Colleagues continue to progress in their careers. Others change careers with, what my restricted perspective can only allow me to describe as, wild abandon. And then another year.
I cannot imagine any American putting up with this degree of mismanaged bureaucracy.
Various reasons lie behind this ineptness. And various solutions have been suggested. I will not bore you or your readers with the finer details. The only points that I want the reader to take away are the following:
- Legal immigrants provide vitally important contributions each and everyday to the bottom line of the American economy . And one very substantial contribution one every year on April 15th.
- We are not asking for handouts or an amnesty. We are only asking for our hard work to be recognized. Recognized and rewarded in the form of a timely green card in return for the years of hard work. Nothing in life is guaranteed. But the green card process should not be a careless gamble upon which we stake our life decisions on.
- The entire process needs to be thrust into the light and revamped to be more efficient so that immigrants who work hard, obey the law, and pay taxes are rewarded appropriately instead of being punished by endless wait times.
The picture that I do not want to paint is that of an ingrate. This is truly a great country to make a life in. It takes hardworking, honest, dedicated, smart, ambitious people to make it run.
Every legal immigrant I know fits the bill.

Thanks
I-485 applied : Oct-03
Recd green card in June 2007

Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
pawnrule is on a distinguished road
Default AILA - Top 5 issues with employment based GC

http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22481

Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Union issue

Looking at Union issues and trying to analyze who is for what and against what -- can make your head spin.

I think that the debate is going to seriously intensify next week and in the House, the drama will go thru the roof.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of Tarang has much to be proud of
Default USINPAC (US India Political Action Committee)

http://www.usinpac.com/news_details.asp?News_ID=60

They already met Senator Conryn and Lofgren regarding CIR.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/27/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute lost_in_migration has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Compete America Endorses Cantwell / Cornyn Amendment to Senate Immigration Bill

http://www.competeamerica.org/news/a..._cantwell.html

Establishing Employer-Sponsored Merit Green Card System and Restoring H-1B Visa Provisions Viewed as Vital

Washington, D.C. – Compete America today urged the U.S. Senate to adopt the Cantwell / Cornyn amendment to S. 1348, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, when debate renews next week. The amendment is a bipartisan measure proposed by Senators Cantwell (D-WA), Cornyn (R-TX), Bennett (R-UT), Leahy (D-VT) and Hatch (R-UT).

“We are asking the Senate to address key provisions in the immigration reform bill that U.S. employers deem critical to the innovation economy,” said Robert Hoffman, Vice President for Government and Public Affairs at Oracle and Co-Chair of Compete America. “The Cantwell / Cornyn amendment will establish an employer-sponsored merit system to complement the current Senate proposal, as well as restore key H-1B visa provisions passed by the Senate last year. We believe the amendment is entirely consistent with the bipartisan compromise underlying the current Senate bill, and the innovation agenda articulated by the Administration and leaders of both parties in the House and Senate. It should be approved.”

Among the key provisions of Cantwell / Cornyn endorsed by Compete America are the following:

Establishing an employer-sponsored merit system to complement the bill’s self-sponsored merit-based system.

* This complementary “employer-sponsored” green card pool would let companies determine the skill sets that are needed for a category of permanent residents. It would leave the merit-based system entirely intact – taking no numbers away from family or from workers at any skill level. The amendment is also designed to protect U.S. workers by applying labor market tests to employer sponsorship of foreign workers.

Restoring Critical H-1B Cap Exemptions

* The amendment would restore exemptions for foreign professionals with advanced degrees from U.S. universities as well as holders of advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics from foreign universities. Both provisions were passed by the Senate last year.

* The current Senate bill would create a presumption that an H-1B visa or L visa applicant intends to stay and work in the United States permanently, and they would be refused the visa unless they can prove otherwise. This outdated and anticompetitive presumption was removed from the law years ago and the amendment would reverse the attempt to reinstitute it.

Restoring “degree equivalency”

* Because the current Senate bill requires a “degree in the specific specialty,” it would eliminate the possibility of qualifying for an H-1B with a degree that is related or through experience. The amendment would restore provisions for degree equivalency to provide for employer flexibility in filling critical talent needs.

Maintaining stronger H-1B visa enforcement

* The current Senate bill contains a host of provisions that would increase H-1B program enforcement, a welcome goal. However, the bill would treat every employer under the burdensome extra rules that currently apply only to “willful violators” and to employers with excessive numbers of H-1B employees. This amendment would eliminate that provision, while retaining the strengthened enforcement regime.

“This is a common-sense amendment that will appeal to any Senator concerned with keeping America competitive,” concluded Hoffman.
Attended the 18th Sep rally in DC.
Sent Letters to White House and phone calls to congressmen.
Completed all action items for HR 3012 & requested friends as well.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down poo poo is better than them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarang
http://www.usinpac.com/news_details.asp?News_ID=60

They already met Senator Conryn and Lofgren regarding CIR.
Let me tell you about this organization called USINPAC. These guys are very good in making a show about “doing something”. But in reality, these guys are good for absolutely nothing. They are only interested in taking pictures and putting on their website to show that they have proximity to power. Indian community gets impressed by the pictures and thinks that this organization is doing something. Reality is – they don’t even know what the issue is, they don’t care what the issue is, they don’t know what is in the bill and they don’t know what should be in the bill. All that they do is talk in broad strokes to impress people who see things from a distance. If anybody is depending on USINPAC to do something then it’s all doing to go to dogs and it would best to wind-up now.

As far as pictures with lawmakers are concerned, anybody can take pictures dime a dozen if you are willing to travel to DC. But guys at USINPAC try to put pictures on their website simply to show that they have proximity to power. It is better to have enemies than to have friends/self proclaimed community leaders like USINPAC. Atleast you won't depend on your enemies and know that they can attack you. Orgs like USINPAC disguise as your friends and use tools like deception to their advantage.

Look at this article: http://www.usinpac.com/news_details.asp?News_ID=60

Other than first paragraph, the remaining five (5) are simply advertisement about the “greatness” of this organization. These idiots have no clue about the issue. Call them and find out yourself, you will see that such “self proclaimed leaders” of “the community” are no better than poo poo.

Last edited by sanju; 06-01-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Illegal Vs Leal.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...dlNjI1MDY1Yzk=

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/articl...lmZDZjNWRjMTg=

Illegal Detour
Thinking reasonably about immigration

RAMESH PONNURU

Illegal immigration is not a big problem in America. Okay, let me amend that before pots and pans and worse things come flying at me. America has some serious immigration problems, but they are not distinctively problems of illegal immigration. If we focus narrowly on illegal immigration, we are likely to come up with counterproductive solutions.

Almost all of the things that cause people to complain about illegal immigration are true of much legal immigration as well. If your worry is that illegal immigrants tend to raise government spending, for example, then you ought to be worried about legal immigrants, too. Half of legal immigrants have not gone past high school. Like illegal immigrants, they cost federal and state governments billions of dollars each year.

Or perhaps you’re concerned that illegal immigrants hurt low-income workers by driving low-end wages down. If so, you should be almost as concerned about legal immigration. Illegal immigrants tend to be paid less than legal immigrants, but the difference is small and largely reflects the fact that on average illegal immigrants have slightly less education than legal immigrants.
(me and my spouse below)
485 - Filed on July 2,2007
485 - ND - Aug 08,2007
FP - Sep 06.
EAD - Oct 1st

Contributing 10 or 20 is always a pain when you have the option of getting it free.

Pledge: I am contributing monthly $25 to IV

Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future
Default New Immigration Bill Amendment Could Help Keep Foreign Tech Workers In U.S.

http://www.informationweek.com/resea...leID=199800102

proposal to create a dual green-card system that favors high tech talent has bi-partisan support in the Senate.

By Marianne Kolbasuk McGee
InformationWeek
May 31, 2007 04:50 PM

A bi-partisan group of U.S. senators next week is expected to introduce to the immigration reform bill an amendment that proposes to retain a pool of 140,000 employer-sponsored green cards for foreign workers seeking permanent residence in the United States.
Amendment S.1249, being co-sponsored by senators Maria Cantwell (D-Wash), John Cornyn (R-Tex.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Orrin Hatch (R-Pa.), and Robert Bennett (R-Utah) proposes that the U.S. create a dual green-card system that, in addition to a new merit-point green card system that's proposed in the main bill, would also keep an annual pool of 140,000 employer-sponsored based green cards for foreign workers.

The revised legislation also proposes the United States establish no limit on H-1B visas for foreign professionals with masters or doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM fields.

"This would set up a complementary and parallel employer-sponsored system to the merit system" said Robert Hoffman, Oracle VP of government affairs and co-chair of Compete America, a coalition of technology companies. "This system would be more like Australia's" where immigration is granted in dual programs that includes employer-based sponsorship and merit points.

By the U.S. retaining a system allowing employer-based green cards to be issued each year, businesses would have better control over the talent they'd like to keep in the U.S., say tech employers.

One of the biggest criticisms that tech employers have about the current immigration reform bill being hammered out in the Senate is the proposed merit-based green card system. The process awards individuals with points based on the person's education, skills, and other factors.

Tech companies complain that a point-based system would shift to government bureaucrats too much control about the kind of talent pool that's available to employers in U.S. Amendment S.1249 proposes retaining employer-based immigration and expanding permanent residency to those foreigners with advanced STEM degrees, said Hoffman.

The amendment also proposes eliminating caps on H-1B visas issued to foreign students who have advanced degrees from U.S. universities. Right now, in addition to the 65,000 H-1B visas issued each year by the United States, an additional 20,000 H-1B visas are available to foreign students with advanced degrees from U.S. universities. The new amendment would eliminate that annual ceiling for advanced U.S. degrees.

In addition, the amendment also proposes providing 20,000 H-1B visas annually to foreigners with advanced degrees in STEM fields from foreign schools.

"Masters and PhDs would be exempt from the cap on H-1Bs and green cards," said Hoffman.

The amendment also proposes retracting a provision in the immigration reform bill that H-1B visa holders must have degrees that match their jobs. However, under the amendment, an H-1B visa holder with a degree in mathematics could continue to apply for work in a software engineering job, even without the software engineering degree.

"We're strongly in favor of this amendment," said Hoffman. "It's the single most important amendment in this [immigration] bill," he said.

Not everyone feels the same way. In a statement, U.S tech-professional advocacy group the Programmers Guild, called the amendment "a declaration of war on American tech workers

Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future indianindian2006 has a brilliant future
Default Bush pressing hard on immigration bill

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/...sh_immigration
Please read the last paragraph of this article which sates as
And a bipartisan group wants to exempt hi-tech workers from a qualification point system — an idea that Chertoff suggested could put the measure in peril.

Here is the article
By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, Associated Press Writer
33 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - President Bush challenged lawmakers on Friday to pass an immigration bill that would legalize millions of unlawful immigrants despite the harsh criticism they're hearing from voters and interest groups on both sides of the issue.

It was Bush's second personal plea in a week for support on the initiative — one of his top domestic priorities — part of a multi-front effort by his administration to bolster lawmakers in both parties as the Senate resumes a searing debate on immigration.

"No matter how difficult it may seem for some politically, I strongly believe it's in this nation's interest for people here in Washington to show courage and resolve and pass a comprehensive immigration reform," Bush told a group of activists, lobbyists and analysts who have pushed for an overhaul.

Lawmakers, at home during a weeklong recess, are hearing from conservatives who decry the measure as overly lenient and from liberals who are clamoring for its passage even as they complain it is filled with problems.

Bush acknowledged those gripes, but he added, "The question people have to answer is, are we going to sacrifice the good for the sake of the perfect?"

The president also took on those — mostly in his own party — who brand the bill as amnesty for lawbreakers.

"This bill isn't amnesty," Bush said. "For those who call it amnesty, they're just trying to, in my judgment, frighten people about the bill. This bill is one that says we recognize that you're here illegally and there's a consequence for it."

The legislation is the product of a bipartisan bargain that beefs up border security, mandates a verification system to prevent employers from hiring illegal immigrants and creates a new temporary worker system. It would institute a new point scheme for evaluating future would-be immigrants that prioritizes job qualifications over family ties.

With Bush set to travel to Europe Monday for the annual G-8 summit of industrialized nations, White House Spokesman Tony Snow is to take up the president's public-relations push in favor of the measure in appearances around the country next week.

Two Cabinet members who helped with the agreement, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, also are pressing hard for its passage.

After Bush's remarks Friday, they urged the immigration activists and lobbyists to support the measure despite their many objections, according to attendees.

"No one will get everything they want, but everyone will get something, and in the end, what we come up with is better for the country, and we all have to see it that way," Gutierrez later told reporters.

Chertoff said the measure "provides the most good outcome for the most people, recognizing that everyone's going to be somewhat disappointed."

Even the administration is not thrilled with the emerging bill. A 200,000-visa annual cap the Senate added to the temporary worker program — proposed by Democrats and approved overwhelmingly — would cramp what officials call a vital legal channel for foreign laborers to meet U.S. labor demands. The original measure would have allowed at least 400,000 workers a year to enter through the program, escalating to as many as 600,000 if the market demanded it.

"Two hundred thousand is not enough, and then we don't have this escalator clause that we believe we need," Gutierrez said.

The secretaries also warned against changes that could upset the delicate balance struck by liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans who reached the deal.

Democrats are planning attempts to make the measure more family-friendly by allowing more immigration based on blood ties to U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. Republicans want to make the process whereby illegal immigrants can gain lawful status more onerous.

And a bipartisan group wants to exempt hi-tech workers from a qualification point system — an idea that Chertoff suggested could put the measure in peril.

"What I think would be very dangerous for the bill is for a particular special interest group to get a carve-out for its people," he said.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
la_guy is a jewel in the rough la_guy is a jewel in the rough la_guy is a jewel in the rough
Default Lobby Groups push for US visas

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/L...ow/2093099.cms

NEW DELHI: In the past, the 'H factor' has largely driven the immigrant dreams of a large number of Indian techies. The H-1B visa that allows US companies and universities to employ skilled foreigners for speciality occupations and UK's highly skilled migrant programme (HSMP) scheme that allowed skilled and qualified foreigners to move to UK without jobs or sponsors, have been the twin tracks for techies to enter the US and the UK.

However, today, both these programmes are under a cloud and that's bad news for both Indian professionals and Indian companies. So even as the new US immigration bill gathers momentum, things seem to be getting tougher for H-1B visa holders, in whom US employers have invested heavily in training and talent management, in applying for green cards.

And the situation isn't much better for thousands of Indians who went to the UK under the HSMP. This follows UK's immigration minister Liam Byrne practically ruling out any softening of his government's stand on the retrospective application of HSMP changes announced in November 2006.

United States India Political Action Committee, an organisation representing over 50,000 members of the Indian-American community and businesses owners, has been proactively highlighting the problems faced by H-1B holders and urging US law makers to look into these issues through the new legislation.

"We are very concerned over the H-1B visa programme and the failure of the US authorities to address the need for hiking the quota from the current 65,000. It is getting a lot harder for H-1B visa holders to transit to green cards which is also a cause for worry. The H-1B visa holders are highly skilled individuals who gain further training in their jobs in the US.

However, the queue for green cards is only getting longer and there's no assurance to these talented individuals on whether they will get a green card or not after five to six years. Such ambiguities in the H-1B programme hits the US technology sector very hard," USINPAC chairman Sanjay Puri told ET.

The organisation has met the chairman of the House judiciary committee, Congressman John Conyers, and Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, chairman of the House judiciary committee's subcommittee on immigration, citizenship and international law.

In the UK, the HSMP Forum, an organisation addressing the problems faced by foreigners who moved to the UK under HSMP and may now be forced to leave, is continuing its struggle to attain the removal of retrospective changes.

"Our forum will continue to strive to attain removal of the retrospective changes and we hope that UK's new prime minister and home secretary would look into the matter and the Indian government will continue to urge the British government to stop such unfair treatment of Indian HSMP holders," Amit Kapadia, director and co-ordinator of the HSMP Forum told ET.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

IV in the news

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...gration_Fees__

Editor: Park Burroughs, pburroughs@observer-reporter.com
Managing Editor for Production: Maureen Stead, mstead@observer-reporter.com
Managing Editor for News: Liz Rogers, lrogers@observer-reporter.com

Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
stuckinmuck is infamous around these parts
Default Interesting video on CIRcus

http://www.qubetv.tv/videos/detail/836

Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Post Senators Mull A Dual Track For Green Card, And More H-1Bs

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=199900342

Senators Mull A Dual Track For Green Card, And More H-1Bs
Compromise expected soon would keep employer sponsorship and merit points. It would also put no cap on visas for U.S.-educated recipients of advanced degrees.

By Marianne Kolbasuk McGee
InformationWeek
Jun 2, 2007 12:01 AM (From the June 4, 2007 issue)

As congress debates sweeping changes to U.S. immigration, a group of senators has prepared a plan to create two tracks for getting a green card: one through employer sponsorship, and another based on points awarded for skills and education.

The compromise amendment, expected to be introduced this week, also would dramatically raise the number of H-1B visas for temporary workers by eliminating caps for visas given to foreign students with advanced degrees from U.S. universities. Today, 20,000 H-1B visas are set aside each year for those grads, in addition to the 65,000 general cap. The compromise also proposes eliminating caps on H-1B visas for foreigners with advanced degrees in science, tech, engineering, and medical fields from foreign schools.

Hatch pitches a dual track

Photo by Sipa Press

The "merit point system" for green cards, which give foreign workers permanent U.S. residency, was included in a recently proposed immigration reform bill and would be one of the most dramatic changes in immigration policy. Employers oppose it because it would erode their influence in sponsoring would-be immigrants. The compromise would retain a pool of 140,000 employer-sponsored green cards for foreign workers seeking permanent residency, in addition to the point system.

The high-tech industry has a lot at stake in the immigration debate, given how much tech companies and outsourcers use green cards and H-1B visas. This most recent proposal comes from Maria Cantwell, D-Wash.; John Cornyn, R-Texas; Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.; Orrin Hatch, R-Utah; and Robert Bennett, R-Utah. President Bush is leading the campaign for broad immigration reform.

Robert Hoffman, Oracle's VP of government affairs and co-chair of Compete America, a coalition of technology companies, says the dual-track system would be more like Australia's. U.S. tech employers say that it would give them more control over the talent they'd like to keep in the country. They contend that a point-based system would shift to government bureaucrats too much control over the talent pool available to employers.

Employers will like the compromise bill, for both the green card provisions and the H-1B expansion. But the U.S tech-professional advocacy group the Program- mers Guild calls it "a declaration of war on American tech workers."

Old 06-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
stuckinmuck is infamous around these parts
Default Perspective from Sen. Cornyn

As is, immigration bill a recipe for failure
By SEN. JOHN CORNYN
Special to the Star-Telegram

As Congress debates overhauling our broken immigration system, the bottom line should be this: Will the new system be enforceable and restore respect for our laws? Or will it be unenforceable and lead to even more illegality in the future?

This is not a minor matter. America is successful because it is a nation of laws. We now have a situation in which some laws are routinely ignored. If we approve yet another law that promises reform yet again fails to deliver on its promises, our precious heritage as a nation of law will be in serious jeopardy.

Our recent experience is not reassuring. In 1986, we approved an amnesty for an estimated 3 million people here illegally but promised that we would enforce the law in the future. That promise was never honored. Unsurprisingly, we now have at least 12 million here illegally, and more watching how we handle this situation.

Even after 9-11, our record of enforcement is sadly lacking. For example, in 2004, demanding better control of our border, Congress approved a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that requires a U.S. passport starting this spring for anyone visiting Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Mexico and other parts of Latin America.

The State and Homeland Security departments had three full years to prepare for an easily foreseeable flood of new passport applications. However, we are seeing the results. Planning and staffing for the new law has been woefully inadequate.

Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens who applied for passports in January and February of this year, anticipating travel this summer, have not yet received their documents. The passport office is in near-chaos. All over the United States, people are turning to congressional offices seeking help.

Some critics are justifiably asking: If the federal government cannot even handle routine passport applications for U.S. citizens, how can it possibly do thorough background checks and issue visas for millions of foreign-born applicants?

An oversight report last year declared that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services already is overworked and stretched to its breaking point. Under the immigration reform bill being debated, that USCIS work-load would be tripled -- without any significant increase in resources.

For example, the new bill gives the USCIS all of 24 hours to grant a probationary "Z" visa to any undocumented alien requesting it during the first year that the law is effective. If 12 million apply as expected, that means USCIS would have to process an average of 48,000 applications every day.

But the USCIS has only 3,000 staffers to process and review applications, including background checks. The current legislation would add only 100 new adjudicators each year for five years.

Clearly, the agency is being set up for failure. We are ensuring that the new system will not be workable. Law enforcement personnel assure me that there is no way a reliable background check could be conducted within 24 hours even if sufficient personnel were available.

Other aspects are equally troubling. The 1986 amnesty failed in part because of massive document fraud. The current Senate legislation, rather than learning from the 1986 experience, instead duplicates its errors.

Under the bill, the Department of Homeland Security is again prohibited from using all information from Z visa applications to weed out ineligible applicants.

It also forbids crucial information-sharing among law enforcement agencies. For example, if an applicant is denied a Z visa on noncriminal grounds, the bill does not allow DHS to use information supplied -- such as a home address -- to locate and deport the illegal entrant.

As I traveled throughout our state last week, I found Texans profoundly skeptical about this immigration bill. Their suspicion is justified. The federal government in recent years has proven that it is not serious about securing our borders and enforcing our laws. Passing yet another law that cannot be enforced will merely add to our broad disillusionment.

Last week, President Bush asserted in a speech that those of us who have raised questions about this bill "don't want to do what's right for America." I respectfully disagree. Working to secure our borders and restoring respect for our laws is exactly what is right for America. Repeating the mistakes of 1986 is not.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn of Texas serves on the Armed Services, Judiciary and Budget committees.