Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rujulm is on a distinguished road
Default Lame Duck Session

Here is a link to a blog site dedicated to lame duck session of the congress. They might post up to date information about the lame duck session that started today.

http://citizen.typepad.com/lameduckhunt/

Today's offering

November 09, 2006

Senate and House disagreeing on length, timing of lame-duck session

Congress Daily PM (sorry, not linkable) is reporting that “The Senate is slated to return next week for a jam-packed legislative week, then adjourn until early December (Dec. 4, for two weeks) to finish the remaining work of the 109th Congress, a senior aide to Senate Majority Leader Frist said this afternoon.... The leaders also are working on an agreement to pass a continuing resolution to keep the government running until Dec. 8. The current one expires Nov. 17.... House leaders were not saying much about their plans, although their agenda appeared to be shrinking. 'My feeling is this is going to be a very short lame-duck session,' said one Hastert aide.”
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jimi_Hendrix will become famous soon enough
Default Thanks

for posting this link!

Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Widget is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 11/09/2006: Priorities for Lameduck Congress

1/09/2006: Priorities for Lameduck Congress

* Report indicates that overhauling immigration may be in the list of the Democrats priority and President Bush has also expressed his readiness and willingness to go along with the Democrats on the legislation. Immediately after the result of the election became obvious, apparently the President called into the White House the leaders of GOP to discuss the priorities for the Lameduck session.
* Taking such discussion and the President's meeting with Rep. Pelosi, future Speaker of the House and exhange views on priorities for the two parties as a positive signial, the immigration stakeholders started igniting some hope, albeit uncertain, for potential action by the Congress and are cautiously preparing for their move in support of the immigration legislation. For the report on meeting between the President Bush and Rep. Pelosi, please click here.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aditya is on a distinguished road
Default Still work ahead for lame-duck Congress

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/..._duck_congress

Democratic leader Harry Reid, the Senate's next majority leader, said figuring out how to fund the government for the next year is one of five tasks Congress should take up in the lame-duck session.

President Bush met on Thursday with GOP congressional leaders and came up with a similar to-do list. He added a Vietnam trade bill and legislation giving legal status to his warrantless domestic eavesdropping program

"The next few weeks are going to be busy ones," he said.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all
Default Looks like its gonna be really short lame duck....

If its less than 2 weeks I think we can forget the CIR.......

Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
zj142 is on a distinguished road

Passing CIR before Jan 2007 seem impossible.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Where is your evidence to cite this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree19772000
If its less than 2 weeks I think we can forget the CIR.......
On the contrary, I came across the following article which suggests that this lameduck will be long i.e. 4-6 weeks because there is a lot of work to be done:

Lame Duck Session Tackles Spending Bills

Friday, November 10, 2006

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Nobody likes a lame-duck session of Congress, particularly the election losers who won't be around for the next session.

Republicans, who lost control of both the House and the Senate in Tuesday's election, would like nothing better than to wrap up their work for the year and go home.

But there will probably be no quick escape this year. There are must-pass spending bills to complete, tax relief measures that have expired and a new defense secretary to confirm. It could keep lawmakers in Washington until just before Christmas.

President Bush and the newly ascendant Democrats agreed that this Congress should knuckle down on unfinished legislation.

Bush, after meeting with congressional Republican leaders Thursday, urged Congress to pass spending bills, come together on pending offshore drilling legislation, act to legalize his warrantless eavesdropping program and approve a U.S.-India nuclear pact.

"That means the next few weeks are going to be busy ones,"he said.

Bush, who is leaving next week for a trip to Southeast Asia, including Vietnam, also pressed for action on a bill to give Vietnam permanent normal trade relations.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Compare
gg_ny is a jewel in the rough gg_ny is a jewel in the rough gg_ny is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka
Jimmy Smarty,

Again trying to show off.
Why you always look for reasons to show how smart you are by finding mistakes in others posts.

Mind your own business and wait for GREEN CARD.

KAKA--- (fighting against PEOPLE LIKE JIMMI HANDRIX)

Can people here maintain some civility, a common sense of decency and decorum? This forum started afresh and whatever be the history, there is no need for personalized attack. I don't care who the people were, but if this trend continues I will stop visiting IV.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is it called lame duck?

I was reading on the senate on the lame duck session. Why exactly is it called that?

In this session will the members who recently won sit in or wil the people who were previously in power get to sit and decide stuff?

Just wondering how good or "lame duck" this session really is going to be?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pyrosleepy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka
Jimmy Smarty,

Again trying to show off.
Why you always look for reasons to show how smart you are by finding mistakes in others posts.

Mind your own business and wait for GREEN CARD.

KAKA--- (fighting against PEOPLE LIKE JIMMI HANDRIX)
Jimmi Hendrix is doing us a great service by keeping us up-to-date on the important issues. Please don't demean yourself by attacking others in this forum. We are all in the same boat together.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa
I was reading on the senate on the lame duck session. Why exactly is it called that?

In this session will the members who recently won sit in or wil the people who were previously in power get to sit and decide stuff?

Just wondering how good or "lame duck" this session really is going to be?
It is called lame duck because it does not consist of the newly elected representatives and as such the incumbents are expected to deal with unfinished business before the new congressional members step in. As you can see the incumbent members hold office only till end of the year i.e. before the new members step into Congress in January. Also this session is restricted to absolutely pressing issues on the legislative agenda. For more precise definitions, visit this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_duck

Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi_Hendrix
It is called lame duck because it does not consist of the newly elected representatives and as such the incumbents are expected to deal with unfinished business before the new congressional members step in. As you can see the incumbent members hold office only till end of the year i.e. before the new members step into Congress in January. Also this session is restricted to absolutely pressing issues on the legislative agenda. For more precise definitions, visit this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_duck

Then why on earth are we so desperately hoping that something will pass this lame-duck session?? If anything the anti-immigrants will be VERY active to get whatever few restrictions that they can impose on the legals and illegals to get them passed.

So now these incumbents can literally pass anything they wish to while they are in majority is it? I mean this would be the perfect time to run riot and pass whatever bills they can before losing power. I know it sounds a little crazy but it can very well happen.

Last edited by eb3_nepa; 11-10-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Point is

that prospects are better next year but you still want to try for the opportunities that present themselves this year. You do not know what works. So you simply try your best. I don't think any member can realistically have very high hopes from the lame duck session. But hey who minds getting lucky and staying hopeful.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mkiv is infamous around these parts mkiv is infamous around these parts mkiv is infamous around these parts mkiv is infamous around these parts mkiv is infamous around these parts mkiv is infamous around these parts mkiv is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa
Then why on earth are we so desperately hoping that something will pass this lame-duck session?? If anything the anti-immigrants will be VERY active to get whatever few restrictions that they can impose on the legals and illegals to get them passed.

So now these incumbents can literally pass anything they wish to while they are in majority is it? I mean this would be the perfect time to run riot and pass whatever bills they can before losing power. I know it sounds a little crazy but it can very well happen.
There is a political reason behind that. The republicans would want to take the credit for what they know democrats will do in future. So before leaving they might do it to make sure they are in a better position in the next elections.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCSOON-Ihope is on a distinguished road

Just heard on CNN this Sunday morning: Arlen Specter wants to take on CIR as soon as tomorrow when the "lame duck" session starts!
He added: "let's do it right now. If we wait until next year, it will be a waste of time..."