Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Old 06-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default CIR Conference Committee Updates

I am opening a new thread to post all updates on the CIR. It seems today is a crucial day when the house comes in session and work on forming the committee might start. If people hear any updates you can post in this thread.

I read on immigration-law that conservative republications are trying to torpedo the CIR with a new technical legislative argument. It sure is going to be a difficult task to have this bill passed since house has republican majority and they are saying in the media that they will not have the bill passed.

"Report indicates that the House hardliners who opposed the Senate-passed S. 2611 have come up with a weapon to block the House-Senate Conference Committee and the S.2611. The weapon they have hammered out involves a constitutional issue as to whether the provision in S. 2611 that requires guest worker applicants to "pay the back taxes" as condition for the legal status constitutes a federal government's measure to raise the revenue. These hardliners argue that the U.S. Constitution mandates that any legislation to raise revenue for the government must originate in the House and S. 2611 violated the U.S. Constitution by originating such legislative bill in the Senate. When the Congress returns on Monday, there will be a see-saw fight between the S. 2611 proponents and opponents on this legal technicality issue. One wonders how the House hardliners would defend their prior violations in the past in another legislations that involved such legal technicality issues. Besides, there is no clear definition as to whether such back-tax payment requirement indeed constitutes a revenue raising measure. "
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
brb2 will become famous soon enough brb2 will become famous soon enough

The objection by house members to this bill is the easy way out for the reps, who are in trouble for a million things such as high gas prices, another Vietnam type bogging down in Iraq, high spending on medicare etc. The only way for conservatives to curry favors with their base is to throw in the defense of marriage bill, and do nothing about the CIR. The next few days will be critical for the bill. It dies or goes to the conference where it might come out radically changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
I am opening a new thread to post all updates on the CIR. It seems today is a crucial day when the house comes in session and work on forming the committee might start. If people hear any updates you can post in this thread.

I read on immigration-law that conservative republications are trying to torpedo the CIR with a new technical legislative argument. It sure is going to be a difficult task to have this bill passed since house has republican majority and they are saying in the media that they will not have the bill passed.

"Report indicates that the House hardliners who opposed the Senate-passed S. 2611 have come up with a weapon to block the House-Senate Conference Committee and the S.2611. The weapon they have hammered out involves a constitutional issue as to whether the provision in S. 2611 that requires guest worker applicants to "pay the back taxes" as condition for the legal status constitutes a federal government's measure to raise the revenue. These hardliners argue that the U.S. Constitution mandates that any legislation to raise revenue for the government must originate in the House and S. 2611 violated the U.S. Constitution by originating such legislative bill in the Senate. When the Congress returns on Monday, there will be a see-saw fight between the S. 2611 proponents and opponents on this legal technicality issue. One wonders how the House hardliners would defend their prior violations in the past in another legislations that involved such legal technicality issues. Besides, there is no clear definition as to whether such back-tax payment requirement indeed constitutes a revenue raising measure. "

Old 06-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Serbia
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
felix31 will become famous soon enough felix31 will become famous soon enough

any news...anyone

Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
starving_dog is on a distinguished road

Congress is in recess until tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2003
Compare
sai is on a distinguished road

?????

Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

House session starts at 2 PM today. Lets hope there is some talk about any next step for the confrence committee.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
apnair2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Bush Heads to New Mexico, Texas to Promote Immigration Reform

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198327,00.html
WASHINGTON — While lawmakers try to compromise on a border control measure, President Bush is heading West on Tuesday to campaign for his guest worker initiatives as part of an immigration overhaul.

Bush will visit a Border Patrol training center in New Mexico and a sector headquarters in Texas. Immigration reform is a hot-button issue in both of the border states.

While the president is on the road, members of Congress are trying to reconcile differing bills on the immigration issue. The Senate measure includes a version of Bush's guest worker program, while the House bill focuses solely on tougher border enforcement.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Widget is on a distinguished road

Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
House session starts at 2 PM today. Lets hope there is some talk about any next step for the confrence committee.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reid(D) Senate Minority leader citical of Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget
Any updates?
Check out this url

However, Reid accused the GOP of standing in the way of immigration reform, noting that on Monday, Republicans blocked "the Senate's own bipartisan comprehensive reform plan from moving forward in Congress."

"After years of Bush Republican incompetence, our borders are unsecured, and our immigration system is broken. The Senate took a major step toward fixing our immigration system. Now, the president must convince his party to enact the comprehensive immigration reform our nation deserves," Reid said in a statement.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstor...20060606b.html

Old 06-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
apnair2002 is on a distinguished road
Default President takes immigration battle to border

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...81_bush07.html

ARTESIA, N.M. — President Bush returned to the U.S.-Mexico border Tuesday to tout what he described as a growing consensus around proposed changes in immigration policy and see firsthand how new border agents are being taught to keep people from entering the country illegally.

In Washington, House Republicans are showing little sign of meeting the president's demands on a comprehensive immigration plan. But at the training facility in Artesia for U.S. border agents, Bush said agreement is possible on plans to increase border security, crack down on employers hiring illegal immigrants and help immigrants assimilate into U.S. society.

"People are coming to the conclusion we got to do something about a system that isn't working," Bush said. "And while the differences grab the headlines, the similarities in approaches are striking."

Bush aides said he is trying to build grass-roots support in advance of negotiations aimed at reconciling House and Senate bills that take sharply different approaches toward illegal immigrants.

A key sticking point for some conservative House Republicans is the president's plan for resolving the status of millions of illegal immigrants in this country.

The bill approved by the Senate would allow illegal immigrants who have been in the country at least five years a way to become citizens if they pay fines and back taxes and learn English; the House plan would make illegal presence in this country a felony.

The president has endorsed the Senate approach and Tuesday indicated he does not regard such an approach as "amnesty" because illegal immigrants would have to get behind legal immigrants in line for citizenship. He added: "If Congress is worried about the number of people getting in, they can decrease the number of green cards. If you want a longer line for people, issue fewer green cards."

Despite the president's statement, "most Americans" consider his plan to be amnesty, said Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., a leading conservative. "There's just no support at home or in my heart."

Before the speech, Bush watched as agents in training staged various scenes depicting what it is like to work on the border. He later flew to Laredo, Texas, to visit officials at a regional headquarters for the Border Patrol. He watched television screens monitoring different points on the border.

Earlier, he made an unannounced stop at Cotulla Style Pit Bar-B-Q, where he greeted diners in Spanish and English before sitting down with a dozen or so border agents around a long table.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
god_bless_you is on a distinguished road

Nelson says his immigration plan has best chance of passing
Grand Island Independent, NE - 16 hours ago
... Nelson said there has been some discussion among lawmakers that the House/Senate conference committee on reconciling the House and Senate immigration bills ...

http://www.theindependent.com/storie...ration07.shtml

Old 06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
beppenyc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by god_bless_you
Nelson says his immigration plan has best chance of passing
Grand Island Independent, NE - 16 hours ago
... Nelson said there has been some discussion among lawmakers that the House/Senate conference committee on reconciling the House and Senate immigration bills ...

http://www.theindependent.com/storie...ration07.shtml
Can you post the article? It needs registration.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
for_gc is infamous around these parts for_gc is infamous around these parts
Default Here it is

Nelson favors his immigration plan over Senate's

By Robert Pore
robert.pore@theindependent.com

ARTICLE TOOLS
E-mail Print Forums

FEATURED ADVERTISER
Click Here to View Today's Ad Specials!

Independent Talk

"Nebraska is way too behind in time as far as broadband internet service is concerned. Personally, I pay high prices for DSL internet service in comparison to the locations that offer multiple broadband services."
- Posted by witsend, in our Forum topic Broadband

With President Bush in Omaha today pushing for immigration reform, Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., said his approach to immigration reform has more of a chance of becoming law than the Senate version he voted against.

Nelson spoke to reporters during a telephone conference Tuesday.Last month, he voted against a Senate immigration bill that went on to be approved, saying the legislation accomplished nothing and left the borders wide open.

At the time, Nelson said the Senate plan to provide amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants in the United States would ultimately stall.

He said the Senate amnesty plan will allow more than 66 million immigrants into the United States and cost $100 billion.

Nelson has proposed his own bipartisan border security first bill that would strengthen U.S. borders by increasing border patrol agents, increasing detention facilities for those caught crossing the border illegally, adding court resources, building a border barrier, and cracking down on employers who knowingly hire illegal workers.

Nelson said Nebraskans will warmly greet Bush, but said most agree with his position about the importance of securing the border first.

With such a wide gap of agreement between the House and Senate immigration bills, Nelson is not optimistic that a compromise can be reached in conference committee.

But Nelson said his position bridges the gap between the House and Senate bills and could lead to compromise legislation that could pass this year.

He said after first securing the border, lawmakers can then look at solutions concerning the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants currently in the country, "...instead of cobbling together in the middle of the night an amnesty."

Nelson said there has been some discussion among lawmakers that the House/Senate conference committee on reconciling the House and Senate immigration bills "will never meet."

"If the conference committee doesn't meet, then the two bills are left in limbo because they can't it," Nelson said.

If an immigration reform package doesn't pass this year, Nelson said, an unsecured border will become even more of a pathway for undocumented immigrants.

"You will have people coming across the border because they have heard comments that others have made that they can't get everybody back," Nelson said. "The result of this, even with the good intentions of my colleagues, is that we'll have more people coming across the border at a larger rate than we have had in the past. That's happening right now."

And Nelson is concerned that will lead to more deaths with people illegally crossing the border in the desert during the heat of summer.

"It is a sad situation and we have to stop this border bleeding," he said. "If we don't do that, the problem will get so big that it will be harder to deal with."

Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
knowDOL is on a distinguished road

Probably we should schedule an appointment with Nelson to let him know about legal workers and their plight to GC, retrogression, no SSN for spouse and years of waiting for planning for family, buying house and life stallling etcc.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/06/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
vparam is a jewel in the rough vparam is a jewel in the rough vparam is a jewel in the rough
Default the house/ senate are in session but where is the CIR?

Where are we? CIR has not yet been recieved in the house, no conference commitees. what is really happening? is the CIR dead on arrival?