Immigration Voice - Forums - Legacy
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute
Default my experience on cruise vacation from immigrant point of view

Hi Friends
This is my first thread in IV
I am posting my experience on cruise vacation mostly from immigrant point of view.

I am on H1 visa , valid till 2012 end..
Most of below things applicable for H1 guys only.. I am not addressing GC holders/Citizens

My trip:Newyork to Bahamas
Ship name: NCL Gem
Sailed dates: 11 December to 18th December

1. Make sure you have passports/visas are valid and they are not going to expire in next 6 months
2. if you are traveling to Bahamas,, then 100% you need Bahamas visa [I am talking about H1 guys] whether they check at port of entry or not.. But as per rule you need Visa.. For me they checked each and every time
3. There are two ways to get Bahamas visa 1. by post 2. in person..... If you choose in person, then its not needed to visit Bahamas consulate by all family members.. Only one person can submit applications for all family members... NOTE: Bahamas new york consulate is not having same day service.. You have to revisit the office as per token given to you [Mostly next day]
4. There is no need to carry your passport in Bahamas,, you can safely place it inside your state room of ship and go outside just with identity card given by Ship people [ID card means, a credit card sized smart card which will acts as your id card as well as room key]. By this you can enjoy in beach with out worrying much about spoiling/loosing passports.
5. At the time of boarding [New York], they did not collected my I-94 card.. But while coming back to New york[disembarkation], they collected my I-94 card and issued a brand new I-94 card

I hope I covered all details related to immigration matters of cruise vacation
Let me know if you have any doubts and need more details

Cruise vacation is really an enjoyable vacation... You will get relax like any thing.
So if you have opportunity and time don't miss
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing.
c) priority date and
d)location to i485.mailing.list@gmail.com .

Until Congress enacts legislation to eliminate backlogs, people who cannot file I485 will always be in limbo and at the mercy of endless H1B visa extensions and visa stamps. Join us and be a part of future IV initiatives to push USCIS to allow I485 filing without current PD.
Wiki

Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare
ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

For those of you planning a cruise/vacation to caribbean, best times to visit are Mar/Apr...watch out for the hurricane season...June too Soon, July Stand By, September to Remember, November It's all over!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by injrav View Post
Hi Friends
I am posting my experience on cruise vacation mostly from immigrant point of view.

Most of below things applicable for H1 guys only.. I am not addressing GC holders/Citizens

1. Make sure you have passports/visas are valid and they are not going to expire in next 6 months
2. if you are traveling to Bahamas,, then 100% you need Bahamas visa [I am talking about H1 guys] whether they check at port of entry or not.. But as per rule you need Visa.. For me they checked each and every time
3. There are two ways to get Bahamas visa 1. by post 2. in person..... If you choose in person, then its not needed to visit Bahamas consulate by all family members.. Only one person can submit applications for all family members... NOTE: Bahamas new york consulate is not having same day service.. You have to revisit the office as per token given to you [Mostly next day]
4. There is no need to carry your passport in Bahamas,, you can safely place it inside your state room of ship and go outside just with identity card given by Ship people [ID card means, a credit card sized smart card which will acts as your id card as well as room key]. By this you can enjoy in beach with out worrying much about spoiling/loosing passports.
5. At the time of boarding [New York], they did not collected my I-94 card.. But while coming back to New york[disembarkation], they collected my I-94 card and issued a brand new I-94 card

Cruise vacation is really an enjoyable vacation... You will get relax like any thing.
How much is the average expense?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute
Default it depends on so many factors

for us [me and my wife] total expenses are 1800$
we booked balcony state room
it includes
130$ insurance
24$ tip per day
200$ towards shore excursions
40$ towards transport expenses [train ticket+taxi ticket etc]
NOTE: if we take any hot drink, then expenses will shoot up to sky

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/19/2011
Compare
immigrationvoice12 is infamous around these parts
Smile Cruise is definitely worth it and a lot of fun.

I do have to add that as OP suggested technically visa is required, practically i went twice in 2009 to Bahama's without visa. AS he mentioned you keep your passport in your state room back on the ship, so no way to check it. Just carry your ship's ID and another form of id (like DL) you should be good.
And dont forget to have FUN !!!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
for us [me and my wife] total expenses are 1800$
we booked balcony state room
it includes
130$ insurance
24$ tip per day
200$ towards shore excursions
40$ towards transport expenses [train ticket+taxi ticket etc]
NOTE: if we take any hot drink, then expenses will shoot up to sky
Thanks for the post. It was very informative. How much is the visa fee for each individual, to the Bahamas?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future mdcowboy has a brilliant future
Quote:
Hi Friends

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have to have a valid visa stamp on your passport or an expired visa and a current I797 with the new I-94 is also good?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/09/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2011
Compare
goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInGCProcess View Post
Thanks for the post. It was very informative. How much is the visa fee for each individual, to the Bahamas?
click here - Bahama Visa Fees for LostinGCProcess

Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default I traveled with valid visa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcowboy View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have to have a valid visa stamp on your passport or an expired visa and a current I797 with the new I-94 is also good?
I traveled with valid USA visa and Bahamas tourist visa
So no idea about other options

Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default I forgot actual fee, but it is either 60 or 70$

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInGCProcess View Post
sorry Friends
I forgot actual Bahamas single entry visa fee
But it is either 60$ or 70$ per person

Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel_ar View Post
Thanks, Goel. That was nice !!!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wildcat1313 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Friends

We took the cruise to Bahamas in May 2009 from Miami and we didn't take any Bahamian visa. I'm pretty sure its not required. I'm on H1b. The crew gave us a temporary card when we disembarked at Nassau and collected it when we came back.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Bahamas visa required 100%. as per rule,, and they checked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat1313 View Post
We took the cruise to Bahamas in May 2009 from Miami and we didn't take any Bahamian visa. I'm pretty sure its not required. I'm on H1b. The crew gave us a temporary card when we disembarked at Nassau and collected it when we came back.
Bahamas visa needed as per rule
I have no idea whether some ships are ignoring this or not?
But Norwegian cruise lines checked twice
1. at the time of embarkation -- they sent out few guys who do not have visa and gave them credit for future cruise
2. at the time of disembarkation-- to make sure whether I traveled with valid visa or not
for full details check
Bahamas Consulate General: Requirements
Again:
I am talking about H1 guys and Indian citizens
No idea about others

Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default Visa

For GC holders and citizens, visa is not required. They didn't think about H1B, B1/B2 guys in the ship. That is why they didn't asked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat1313 View Post