PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Emergency Advance Parole

sixburgh
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I am creating this post to benefit all.
Also this case is about my friend.
He shared all this information with me.

This is a Pittsburgh PA based case, YMMV.

My friend who has an approved labor/i140 and also a pending i485, received a news that his father was ill in India. He wanted to fly to India right away but his AP had expired. Here is what our Internal Immigration lawyer suggested him....

"You must go to the district office to screen and make a determination as to whether your situation is a qualifying emergency. They are responsible for accepting and processing the I-131 in emergency situations. Here is a link to the address and appointment procedure for the Pittsburgh office. https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.detail&office=PIT&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO&OfficeLocator.zipcode=15220 You should take a completed I-131, $305 filing fee, 2 passport photos, passport (and copy), I-94 copy and evidence of your fatherís situation. Remember that you have to prove that this is a medical emergency."

So he took an Infopass appointment, which he got for the very next day! He then visited the Pittsburgh local office (which is normally not so busy) with a completed i-131, photos, fees, passport, copy of passport, i-94 and a FAX proof from India Doctors which explained his fathers situation.

An interview took place, where they asked expected questions and then an Internal Director approved. He was told to wait for 1 hour and he was handed 2 copies of temporary Advance Parole which is valid for 4 months.

I myself was wondering if one can get emergency advance parole and this example shows that if you show all the proof and go to a local office they will help you as much as possible and also give you an AP within 1-2 hours.

(The only bad thing is, my friend will have to spend $305 again for an approval which lasts for 1 or 2 years)

Hope this helps you all.