PDA

View Full Version : When living outside US, how to maintain I-485 application

punjabi77
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi,

My 485 (eb3-2006) is in process and i have my EAD and AP. I moved to Canada few months back. My AP is expiring in end of November and EAD expires October Next year.

I have my canadian PR and since my GC application was filed under EB3 category, i am not sure how long it will take for the application to approve so want to maintain my Canadian PR and at the same time would like to know how i can maintain 485 application.

If anyone has any experience in this regard or may have some information, please do share.

Thanks.

hankles
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't have personal experience on this but my sense is you should be able to maintain your I-485 application by changing to Consular Processing. You would not be eligible to apply for AP and EAD but your application would remain active.

pointlesswait
10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
has anyone switched to CP and made it across the finish line..;-)

PM me!

simple1
10-27-2009, 03:58 PM
1. AOS is for applicants who primarily reside in US and want to adjust their status.

So you are expected to be in the US most of the year (just like a gc holder). I believe you may need to do the following (pls double check with attorney)
- reside in US soil for at least 183 days in a financial/calendar year. (not sure if POentry and POexit days are counted).
- pay US taxes and file 1040 (not 1040NR).

There is a risk of abandoning the AOS if you reside outside US for a longer period.

2. CP is for applications who primarily reside outside US
-or-
for usa based applicants who are not sure if they can reside most of the year in USA.

Hi,

My 485 (eb3-2006) is in process and i have my EAD and AP. I moved to Canada few months back. My AP is expiring in end of November and EAD expires October Next year.

I have my canadian PR and since my GC application was filed under EB3 category, i am not sure how long it will take for the application to approve so want to maintain my Canadian PR and at the same time would like to know how i can maintain 485 application.

If anyone has any experience in this regard or may have some information, please do share.

Thanks.

punjabi77
11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know of any attorney that may give free consultation?
I see there are few that give free consultation by meeting personally only.
But since i am in Canada i can only call.

And how much does Murthy firm charge after the initial filing, to answer to any enquiries or RFE's?

I need to have this taken care soon as my AP expires this month.

Any help is highly appreciated..

theMan
11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
About $3k to begin with.

H1bslave
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
I am using Ron Gotcher for my I-485 monitoring.
Initial consultation was free over phone.
I think fee has gone up, but they have all listed on thier website.

Hi,

And how much does Murthy firm charge after the initial filing, to answer to any enquiries or RFE's?

number30
11-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi,

half an hour consulation costs you like $150 to $200.

punjabi77
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I think the amount you mentioned is for consultation. What about the fees charged for writing a reply for a Query??..
Has anyone taken consultation from Murthy firm? Anything specific i need to know before i fix a consultation ?