PDA

View Full Version : No Diwali in Google or anywhere?

la6470
10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Is it too much to ask Google to put a Diwali logo like it does for Hanukkah or Christmas .. at least if not in google.com but in google.co.in?

Also is it too much to expect American mainstream media to totally NOT ignore Diwali which has significance for the second largest population in the world and instead publish significantly less significant story of the balloon boy?

Is it too much to ask for to include Diwali in the spell check for this editor? (Not wailing or Gwalior ...)

It is this mentality of deliberately ignoring the feeling of majority of the world population that is getting the western civilization more and more isolated and retracted.

Well it doesn't really matter. And I am visiting India now and I can see that this country and China will definitely kick ass of Western civilization .. as it is already doing. The people here are hungry for more and in spite of seemingly unsurmountable problems it will succeed and once again India will be the "Sone Ke Chiriya".

With this thoughts and wishing peace .. happy and prosperous diwali to everyone.

May Lord Rama bless the world.

chantu
10-17-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with you. But you don't have to go far to find Google at fault. If you look in the Indian English Media, you will hardly find any news regarding Diwali. If they put some news on Diwali that news will be like "Dismal Diwali" etc. I am not kidding. This is the news regarding Diwali in CNN-IBN.

But when Christmas arrives, our Indian English Media will go on and on with their positive spin of Christmas festival.

Everything in India is controlled by western money. They are spreading their tentacles and have started psycho was against our culture.

Let Bhagwan Shri Ram Bless Indians.

Is it too much to ask Google to put a Diwali logo like it does for Hanukkah or Christmas .. at least if not in google.com but in google.co.in?

Also is it too much to expect American mainstream media to totally NOT ignore Diwali which has significance for the second largest population in the world and instead publish significantly less significant story of the balloon boy?

Is it too much to ask for to include Diwali in the spell check for this editor? (Not wailing or Gwalior ...)

It is this mentality of deliberately ignoring the feeling of majority of the world population that is getting the western civilization more and more isolated and retracted.

Well it doesn't really matter. And I am visiting India now and I can see that this country and China will definitely kick ass of Western civilization .. as it is already doing. The people here are hungry for more and in spite of seemingly unsurmountable problems it will succeed and once again India will be the "Sone Ke Chiriya".

With this thoughts and wishing peace .. happy and prosperous diwali to everyone.

la6470
10-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes if you look at cnn-ibn you may see such a heading .. but there are thousands of vernacular language media that 90% of its population read everyday and even completely indian English media which is celebrating Diwali just the way they should. Yes foreign investments are there but they are not as big as they are made out to be . If Citibank would like to invest today whom will it invest with - GM or Tata Motors? Money is just something that change hands and flows where there is the greatest potential.India has her strengths and it will beat the odds.

ita
10-17-2009, 05:06 PM
CNN-IBN,NDTV to major part , Indian express, Hindu ,Times group to some part work for certain elements outside India(West,Arab,Communism as far as I know) and a certain family(ies) within India.
So don't worry about the quality of their news .It may look like they are influencing the society but even they don't have such power and they are not everything.So we don't have to let our minds be consumed with disappointment,anger. Instead we should focus on what we can do to improve things with whatever resources we have.
Least you could do is not visit those sites.

Prannoy Roy of NDTV is half Indian and is married to Prakash Karat's(communist) wife's sister.
Rajdeep Sardesai of CNN-IBN is a classic example of Macaulian Indian and he has connections with Prannoy Roy of NDTV which goes way back to his stint with NDTV.

As we know there was split in old Indian express .Shekhar Gupta 's Indian express works for Gandhi family though it may not be so obvious some times.

Express buzz the other part of the old Inidan express ,rediff are some of the news site(s) that are somewhat better.

So yes things are bad but are not that bad either.

Indian media was also kind of all over the place about the White House Diwali celebrations and American media totally ignored it.

I have a feeling this media war on everything that's Hindu is like passing cloud.Also it's understandable especilly when the power centres ruling India are western.

Look at the abrupt change in A.P political scenario when the govt's eyes,hands got so greedy, long that they got to the treasures of the sacred religious,spiritual centers. I read somewhere A.P govt was working on this master plan of selling the Tirumala treasures as govt coffers were empty what with distribution of free money to people, and all other kinds of corruption.

A wave always recedes before it makes that huge jump.

Dingdong
10-17-2009, 05:55 PM
The media caters to its audience just like any other business nterested in its own customers. When markets worldwide rise or fall in response to election results in India, it gets major media attention everywhere because the audience is interested. Diwali is as unimportant in America as Thanksgiving in the U.K. There is no point fretting over it. Diwali could become newsworthy when people globally start tracking shopping sales in India since their businesses might depend on them. It's better to sharpen our skills so that we can seamlessly join the global highway than to sit on the sides cursing those passing by that they don't care about us.

rsharma
10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
The media caters to its audience just like any other business nterested in its own customers. When markets worldwide rise or fall in response to election results in India, it gets major media attention everywhere because the audience is interested. Diwali is as unimportant in America as Thanksgiving in the U.K. There is no point fretting over it. Diwali could become newsworthy when people globally start tracking shopping sales in India since their businesses might depend on them. It's better to sharpen our skills so that we can seamlessly join the global highway than to sit on the sides cursing those passing by that they don't care about us.

Friends I want to point out a few things. But before that Wanted to let you know that Diwali is my major festival too and I celebrate Diwali with great respect. I do not think the importance of Diwali will get diminished in the heart of people irrespective of the fact they are mentioned in media.

However, I do not understand why we are discussing whether Diwali is mentioned in Google or on some media. Google inc is a business organization and they will do whatever they feel is good for their business. Only their shareholders can dictate them. If we are not the major shareholders then why are we bothered. They would write about Diwali if they like. Why we should try to press our religion over others. Everyone should be free to follow their own. Else we will become part of the religious fanatics.

Secondly this is an Immigration forum. If I remember IV is for all immigrants in USA and not just for a particular country(origin) or religion. These type of discussion will try to create division amoung us the immigrants who are from all religions.

shivarajan
10-17-2009, 07:00 PM
www.orkut.com (google service) and homepage theme is indeed Diwali!

aquarian
10-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Not everyone forgot. Check out Bing (http://www.bing.com) or Bing (http://www.live.com).

gc_wow
10-17-2009, 08:51 PM

DingDong
Whats the deal with Albania over Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa life has became lessons for kids in text books in INdia.

shivarajan
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
LOOKS LIKE THIS COSTUME (http://s.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/20341_product_thumb_php.jpg) IS BIG HIT THIS HALLOWEEN!

la6470
10-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Friends I want to point out a few things. But before that Wanted to let you know that Diwali is my major festival too and I celebrate Diwali with great respect. I do not think the importance of Diwali will get diminished in the heart of people irrespective of the fact they are mentioned in media.

However, I do not understand why we are discussing whether Diwali is mentioned in Google or on some media. Google inc is a business organization and they will do whatever they feel is good for their business. Only their shareholders can dictate them. If we are not the major shareholders then why are we bothered. They would write about Diwali if they like. Why we should try to press our religion over others. Everyone should be free to follow their own. Else we will become part of the religious fanatics.

Secondly this is an Immigration forum. If I remember IV is for all immigrants in USA and not just for a particular country(origin) or religion. These type of discussion will try to create division amoung us the immigrants who are from all religions.

Actually I just wanted to point out the generic indifference shown towards the feeling of people of India by mainstream western media and governments - the long wait in immigration queue and ignoring the plight of Indian legal immigrant aspirants , setting a per country quota ignoring its population representation is just an extension of the same mentality... and I also wanted to point out how this mentality of deliberately ignoring Indian feelings and values is going to become increasingly irrelevant in the changing world where BRIC countries will wield increasing power.

la6470
10-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Strangely google.com did show a logo in 2008 .. I wonder what made them feel that their audience has changed? Is it a sign that immigrants from India are becoming increasingly irrelevant or the numbers are dwindling or there is simply a unofficial policy to just ignore the brownies (please no offence and dont take it too seriously) ;)

Google Holiday Logos: 2008 October - December (http://www.google.com/logos/logos08-4.html)

cool_desi_gc
10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
YouTube - Barack Obama celebrates Diwali in White House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJUy_ZMYuY)

White house celebrates diwali

rsharma
10-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Actually I just wanted to point out the generic indifference shown towards the feeling of people of India by mainstream western media and governments - the long wait in immigration queue and ignoring the plight of Indian legal immigrant aspirants , setting a per country quota ignoring its population representation is just an extension of the same mentality... and I also wanted to point out how this mentality of deliberately ignoring Indian feelings and values is going to become increasingly irrelevant in the changing world where BRIC countries will wield increasing power.

Friend la6470, I totally understand your feelings.

However your statement "setting a per country quota ignoring its population representation is just an extension of the same mentality... and I also wanted to point out how this mentality of deliberately ignoring Indian feelings and values is going to become increasingly irrelevant in the changing world where BRIC countries will wield increasing power." can be used against the measures requested for removing the country quota.

Today inspite of the quota we are sort of demanding or in other words saying Google(US based company) should display Diwali. If country quota is abolished many more of us will beome PR and then citizens then we will be in a better position to demand the incorporation of our cultural values/ religious values in this country and thus the cultural/religious equillibrium of this country will get effected. So they will say this is the reason that the country quota should stay.

This way your innocent statement can be used against you and us. This was my concern against these type of nor immigration and matters related to only one country/region/religion being posted in this forum.

Hope you understand me.

kumar_rk21
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Wow.. I don't understand why we always make a big fuss of such things. Do we think that we are so special or we are just too sensitive because of our inferiority complex. Invent something that will change the world for better, win some gold medals in Olympics, improve the quality people by building better infrastructure, innovate and accomplish and the world will automatically notice. And yes, don't be an hypocrite, go back and do something good if you truly believe in it. Change starts within and courage to accept one's weakness leads to strength. Patting yourselves in the back for the achievement made so far only bring complacency and my friend we have a long way to go!

Cheers

simple1
10-18-2009, 05:08 PM
troll Alert.

posting controversial or provocative messages in a deliberate attempt to provoke flames.

la6470
10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Well as I said before it is not to be taken seriously enough so as to increase your BP...but I am just curious what is so special about Hanukkah that it is mentioned everywhere in western mainstream media and not Diwali?

rsharma
10-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Well as I said before it is not to be taken seriously enough so as to increase your BP...but I am just curious what is so special about Hanukkah that it is mentioned everywhere in western mainstream media and not Diwali?
I do not want to comment on the validity of your question. However I as well as many of this forum members feel that this question is not for this forum. This forum should strictly used for Immigration to USA related issues and discussions.

I hope you will agree that I in "IV" stands for Immigration and not any special country's name.

chantu
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
This is what I am saying about western funded Media.

Dark Diwali: 6 firemen choke to death in Thane - India - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Dark-Diwali-6-firemen-choke-to-death-in-Thane/articleshow/5137464.cms)

"Dark Diwali"...what is the need to mention that.

I do not want to comment on the validity of your question. However I as well as many of this forum members feel that this question is not for this forum. This forum should strictly used for Immigration to USA related issues and discussions.

I hope you will agree that I in "IV" stands for Immigration and not any special country's name.