PDA

View Full Version : AP question

sagar_nyc
06-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Guys,
i have question regarding my AP. My AP is valid Aug'09. I am going to apply for new AP soon. I am planning to go India in July. My question is Would it be ok if my new AP gets approved while i am in India? I will be using my old AP for travel. but do i need to be present in US when approval of new AP takes place. please advice

acecupid
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I believe you should be ok since you are travelling and returning before expiry of old AP. You should be physically present in the US during application of new AP. Once you have the receipt for new AP, you should be good to go.

frostrated
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
you need to be physically present in the country when you apply for your AP. you can either have the uscis send it to your address in india, a consular post in india or your address here in the US. i would suggest you have it sent to your address here in the US and then have one of your friends send it by fedex to india. dont use regular post as it might get misplaed or lost, which means you are stuck.
if you are planning to return before your current AP expires, then you dont need a new AP. might as well wait until later this year when they are planning to bring out a new EAD card that also has AP approval in it.

capriol
07-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Dear Folks:
I will be returning from India soon by KLM (via the Delhi-Amsterdam-U.S route), with an AP, 485 pending receipt, an H1B status BUT with an expired H1B visa on your passport? Given that I have these documents, I have decided not to get my H1B visa re-stamped in India. But now, I am getting a little panicked as the time is nearing for the following reasons (and these related questions). Will you please answer them for me:
(1) If I have the AP documents, the 485 pending receipt, and my HIB paperwork with me (but not the H1B visa stamped in my passport), will I be able to re-enter the U.S? Will there be any problems at the port of entry?
(2) At Delhi and at Amsterdam, will the immigraiton folks give me trouble if they see an expired HIB visa on my passport? Can they refuse to let me board the plane? Have any of you traveling via Delhi and Amstredam experienced any problems from the immigration folks?
Please share your experiences. Thanks a lot.

capriol
07-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I will be returning from India soon by KLM (via the Delhi-Amsterdam-U.S route), with an AP, 485 pending receipt, an H1B status BUT with an expired H1B visa on your passport? Given that I have these documents, I have decided not to get my H1B visa re-stamped in India. But now, I am getting a little panicked as the time is nearing for the following reasons (and these related questions). Will you please answer them for me:
(1) If I have the AP documents, the 485 pending receipt, and my HIB paperwork with me (but not the H1B visa stamped in my passport), will I be able to re-enter the U.S? Will there be any problems at the port of entry?
(2) At Delhi and at Amsterdam, will the immigraiton folks give me trouble if they see an expired HIB visa on my passport? Can they refuse to let me board the plane? Have any of you traveling via Delhi and Amstredam experienced any problems from the immigration folks?
Please share your experiences. Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

capriol
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Dear Friends:
I am not sure why nobody is answering to my questions on their AP travel experiences. Please reply, I am almost freaking out not know what sorts of obstacles I might face at Delhi and Amsterdam without a H1B stamped visa. My queries are as below:

Please share your experiences. Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

acecupid
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Dear Friends:
I am not sure why nobody is answering to my questions on their AP travel experiences. Please reply, I am almost freaking out not know what sorts of obstacles I might face at Delhi and Amsterdam without a H1B stamped visa. My queries are as below:

1) You should have absolutely no problem entering on AP with a expired H1B visa and valid petition.
2) Airlines are well aware of AP, it is not a new document.

Stop worrying so much and enjoy your vacation. Have a safe trip back to US.

enqueued
07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Dear Friends:

Dont worry - you are fine. I have traveled twice on two different carriers

frostrated
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
you should be fine. do you have a valid transit visa? i think you need to have one if you are travelling through the European Union.

capriol
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
you should be fine. do you have a valid transit visa? i think you need to have one if you are travelling through the European Union.

Dear friends,
I received all the three responses to my queries on AP travel. All three of you have confirmed the same. Thanks a lot, I feel a lot better now. Although, as one of you mentioned about a transit visa through the EU, I will be waiting within the Amsterdam airport for 3 hours to take the connecting U.S flight, and so I don't think I need a transit visa. Thanks a lot.